Grain free drys

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

My kits liked it so much that I bought the 22 pound bag, and the crumbles are mostly at the bottom. It really doesn't seem to fall apart too easily. I think it is the square edges crumbling of, mostly.

Anyhoo, Ginger's coat is getting sleek and shiny again, just like it used to be when she ate kitten kibble (once I switched her to adult kibble, her coat got less shiny and a bit rougher.) Ferris' coat is silky soft like rabbit fur, and seems to have a nice sheen to it.

Their poops are nice and firm, if a little bigger than they used to be on the Nutro mix. Ferris' soft stool issues have gone away pretty much completely.

I'm sticking with the Nature's Variety.
From your earlier posts, I would say that Ferris having firm stools would be worth quite a bit!! I'm glad the NV food went over well with them!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I went to the specialty store this weekend with the intention of getting Serengeti or Evo, and the lady asked me what they were eating now. I told her Avoderm, and she suggested Artemis as an "in between" food. She said when they are used to the grains (carbs) sometimes they will balk if changed to all protein suddenly. And the kits really like Artemis and it doesn't have all the corn like Avoderm did. Thumbs up!
Mine balked for about four hours, and then started nibbling at it. They begrudgingly ate it for the first week, and now they nag the heck out of me for it. They're currently on Evo, but I'm looking at the Serengetti... it looked like Serengetti had no shipping cost...? Maybe I'm mistaken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Mine balked for about four hours, and then started nibbling at it. They begrudgingly ate it for the first week, and now they nag the heck out of me for it. They're currently on Evo, but I'm looking at the Serengetti... it looked like Serengetti had no shipping cost...? Maybe I'm mistaken.
may I ask where???

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was on the Serengetti site, but it could be that I saw no shipping costs because I hadn't completely checked out yet. I'm probably going to buy a bag, and see how it goes, unless shipping costs are horrid. It is cheaper than the Evo per pound.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

It is free shipping. See this link.
which is good, since it's about twice what i've been paying for the chicken soup. i've ordered some of it, plus some of the orijen & one of the others - can't remember which. the others all had horrendously pricey shipping, with no options for cheaper, longer shipping.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I just checked the shipping again and it was free ups shipping. Not bad for a $10 4 pound bag of food... Evo is about $20 for 6 pounds.. I have to go back and compare the protein content from one to the other, though.

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just ordered 2 of the 4 pound bags of the Serengeti to try. If they like it and do well on it, no shipping is great!

I'm currently feeding Chicken Soup, but with the earlier Diamond recall and now ( I know they are saying Chicken Soup is ok, but who do you trust anymore?)

Anyway, there's about an 8% difference in protein and a 1.5% difference in fiber. Do you think that'll cause any problems? I know to take it slow when transitioning to a new food, though.

grumpycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I emailed Wellness with the question "what does 80% animal protein mean...? Does that mean 80% meat or 80% meat and 'other stuff'?" and got this amazingly elusive answer back:
We are very excited about our new Wellness dry cat food Core. Wellness has redefined the world of grain-free cat food! CORE features the highest inclusions of meat possible in a dry cat food, with over 80% (actually 82% on an as feed basis) high-quality, animal protein ingredients.
Anyone want to take a quess as to what that actually means?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, actually.. since this high protein low carb no grains dry diet is ..from what I understand based on a raw diet.. you should actually be getting more than just the meat in the product. Chicken meal would include things like skin, bones, possibly feathers, and some other body parts..organ meats, but honestly.. that's what the raw diet promotes since a cat would normally eat that if it was killing a bird itself. I think the thing to watch out for is "meat meal" or "meat byproducts"... that's a big no-no in my book.. with lots of disgusting and potentially bad for kitty things in it.

80% animal protein would mean that it's using meat/animal for the protein source, instead of adding grains, etc. Some foods add in high protein non meat sources to boost the protein levels.

It sounds like it's a good food, though, I'm going to have to go to their website and see what the ingredients are. I'm about to order some Serengetti..

Okay, here's what the ingredients are, and I may not be spot on with this, but here's my best explanation: Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E),

Deboned turkey and chicken would be muscle and probably organ meats. Chicken meal is going to be a mixture of skin, probably bones, more or less what's left over after you take away the meat and organs. Disgusting as it is, it provides additional nutrients. Whitefish meal is probably just whitefish that was tossed into a grinder or whatever they use to process it and maybe scales, bones, organs..etc. Salmon would be the same deal. I think there is some protein in potatoes or in some of the other veggie/fruit products they put in, so 80% probably means out of the 50% protein they promise you, 80% of that total is meat based and 20% is probably veggie/fruit based.

That's the best explanation I can give you, though. Sharky probably has a better idea.

just as a side note.. the Marbled Menace has like gained a ton of weight in the past week or two... She suddenly gained a huge appetite and is finally getting to a normal weight.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bazkitty

I just ordered 2 of the 4 pound bags of the Serengeti to try. If they like it and do well on it, no shipping is great!

I'm currently feeding Chicken Soup, but with the earlier Diamond recall and now ( I know they are saying Chicken Soup is ok, but who do you trust anymore?)

Anyway, there's about an 8% difference in protein and a 1.5% difference in fiber. Do you think that'll cause any problems? I know to take it slow when transitioning to a new food, though.
Baz, I don't forsee any issues with that, provided you give them a little time to make the transition. With my Mau, it doesn't matter how slow I transition her, she has a horribly sensitive tummy and always yaks on the floor.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a 4lb bag of Serengeti today at my local store.
My girls liked it, when I put California Natural in one dish and Serengeti in the other, they ate both without picking out any particular kind.
The smell is of herbs and fish, not strong at all.

Kibble size is very tiny, round little balls, smaller than peas even.
No crumbles in the bag.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, actually.. since this high protein low carb no grains dry diet is ..from what I understand based on a raw diet.. you should actually be getting more than just the meat in the product. Chicken meal would include things like skin, bones, possibly feathers, and some other body parts..organ meats, but honestly.. that's what the raw diet promotes since a cat would normally eat that if it was killing a bird itself. I think the thing to watch out for is "meat meal" or "meat byproducts"... that's a big no-no in my book.. with lots of disgusting and potentially bad for kitty things in it. \\

PER AFFCO ... chicken meal and beef meal lamb meal are the meat exclusive of organs entrails feathers ... Basically like a named meat Meals are meat ( flesh including skin) and some bone THAT is ALL they can have otherwise it is LABELED BY PRODUCT MEAL... While grain frees are BASED on RAW they are FAR FAR from it ... wet with grain is closer...Just an FYI

80% animal protein would mean that it's using meat/animal for the protein source, instead of adding grains, etc. Some foods add in high protein non meat sources to boost the protein levels.
I just PMED the Wellness rep on this site about that

It sounds like it's a good food, though, I'm going to have to go to their website and see what the ingredients are. I'm about to order some Serengetti..

Okay, here's what the ingredients are, and I may not be spot on with this, but here's my best explanation: Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E),

Deboned turkey and chicken would be muscle and probably organ meats. Chicken meal is going to be a mixture of skin, probably bones, more or less what's left over after you take away the meat and organs. Disgusting as it is, it provides additional nutrients. Whitefish meal is probably just whitefish that was tossed into a grinder or whatever they use to process it and maybe scales, bones, organs..etc. Salmon would be the same deal. I think there is some protein in potatoes or in some of the other veggie/fruit products they put in, so 80% probably means out of the 50% protein they promise you, 80% of that total is meat based and 20% is probably veggie/fruit based.

That's the best explanation I can give you, though. Sharky probably has a better idea.
YOUR close JUST the ORGANS are not in it ... Salmon meal would be flesh and cartiliage whereas "meat" meals are fleash with some varing amount of bone...

Yes potatos have protein ... and watch for possible allergies as MANY animals are turning up allergic ... THAT DOES NOT lessen the QUALITY Of this formula

just as a side note.. the Marbled Menace has like gained a ton of weight in the past week or two... She suddenly gained a huge appetite and is finally getting to a normal weight.

That is the true wonder of grain free some will lose fairly rapidly while others gain

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dunno, marbled menace was a constipated kitty for the longest time (she started eating kitty grass and it leveled out...) but she just hasn't ever really gained weight.. at least when she was constipated, but she was behind "schedule" or..rather I was worried about her being a little small and not gaining.. but she's suddenly developed an appetite and is now eating her raw and the dry kibble, so, overall I think it's a good thing. She's scarfing down her raw too, though, so..

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GrumpyCat

So I emailed Wellness with the question "what does 80% animal protein mean...? Does that mean 80% meat or 80% meat and 'other stuff'?" and got this amazingly elusive answer back:

Anyone want to take a quess as to what that actually means?
It means that someone in their marketing department, who has no real knowledge of the product, wrote that blurb that you were sent.

Sounds good, doesn't it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THank you Welcat

The statement is referring to the fact that over 80% (roughly 82%) of the ingredients in the formulation are from meat sources. When the % of each ingredient is added together they equal:

Deboned Turkey

Deboned Chicken

Turkey Meal

+Chicken Meal

=82% of formulation

THis is looking way better now

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to this thread, I am also ordering a 4 lb bag of Serengheti (sp?) to try out. I like the ingrediant list and that it is for big cats as well as small ones.

I discovered that it costs less if you order it from Pet Food Direct rather than direct from Timberwolf!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Thanks to this thread, I am also ordering a 4 lb bag of Serengheti (sp?) to try out. I like the ingrediant list and that it is for big cats as well as small ones.

I discovered that it costs less if you order it from Pet Food Direct rather than direct from Timberwolf!
Please link for those of us slightly less linked

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Through Pet Food Direct at just $8.49 (plus shipping) per 4 lb bag, no limit per order.

If you order it direct from Timberwolf Organics it is $10.49 per bag with free shipping, but there is a $15 minimum order.

I order through PFD because they offer so many discounts (I'm getting 13% off my latest order, which worked out to cover the shipping cost PLUS takes an extra couple of dollars off the sale prices of the foods I bought!)

And I'm lazy, and have done my pricing homework, so instead of going to the pet stores, I now grow my own cat grass, get treats at the grocery store, and order ALL my pet food from PFD.

Heard about them here at TCS, of course.