Grain free drys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

I was at the natural food store all morning discussing options. I ended up buying NV Raw Instinct and California Natural Chicken and Rice to mix for transitioning.
I returned the CS that I had purchased to the feed store where I buy it. They hadn't even heard about the recall yet! You would think that companies would be on top of this stuff
The Diamond Natural that my dog eats has been put aside for now(couldn't return it, the bag was open) ,we bought him Canidae,hopefully he likes it.
WATCH the dogs stools... you are going from what I call decent and premium to very very rich and multiple meats

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Where did you order both of those from?
i got the orijen from only4pets.com, & the serengeti from the only natural pet store. at the time, the serengeti was free shipping for a single bag. they now have a minimum order requirement for the free shipping. my 3rd choice, Nature's Variety Raw Instinct, hasn't arrived yet, but it's on its way. i got it from petfooddirect.
my group preferred the orijen to the serengeti.

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of my 13yrs old cats(one of them diabetic)is on Serengeti and so far so good, and the one think I like is it have alfafa leaf in there.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i got the orijen from only4pets.com, & the serengeti from the only natural pet store. at the time, the serengeti was free shipping for a single bag. they now have a minimum order requirement for the free shipping. my 3rd choice, Nature's Variety Raw Instinct, hasn't arrived yet, but it's on its way. i got it from petfooddirect.
my group preferred the orijen to the serengeti.
Thanks for letting me. You got the orijen at the same place I did. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a website somewhere! Thanks for the only natural pet store site!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goo

Both of my 13yrs old cats(one of them diabetic)is on Serengeti and so far so good, and the one think I like is it have alfafa leaf in there.
WHY ??? alfalfa has been removed from many formulas due to causes tummy upset and since it is a legume it acts like a grain in the body ... I would ask you to discuss this with a vet ... YES it is likely a great one for a diabetic cat it may not be as good for the other one sue to there age
.... But I like how it reads this is just an FYI

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a $15 minimum, and you always get free shipping, but.. with their cat food you have to order two small bags to get more than $15 (which ends up being $20).. I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. I just ordered from petfooddirect.com and added a few bags in which didn't change the overall shipping price. (It was cheaper to add a bag onto the order over there then buy two bags...) I'm still on a mission to find the cheapest way, though,

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I think it's a $15 minimum, and you always get free shipping, but.. with their cat food you have to order two small bags to get more than $15 (which ends up being $20).. I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. I just ordered from petfooddirect.com and added a few bags in which didn't change the overall shipping price. (It was cheaper to add a bag onto the order over there then buy two bags...) I'm still on a mission to find the cheapest way, though,
the link i posted let me order a single bag w/free shipping...

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried my kitties on Orijen...and it was a HUGE hit, even with my picky eater Lucky. I have some Nature's Variety to finish up (which they aren't as keen on), and then it's over to all Orijen. I'm impressed with the ingrediants, but mostly on where the ingrediants are sourced (all canadian) and there private manufacturing plant.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

I just tried my kitties on Orijen...and it was a HUGE hit, even with my picky eater Lucky. I have some Nature's Variety to finish up (which they aren't as keen on), and then it's over to all Orijen. I'm impressed with the ingrediants, but mostly on where the ingrediants are sourced (all canadian) and there private manufacturing plant.
I'm glad to hear that! I hope orijen will be a success in our house. I will try those trial sizes first by mixing it in with the purina we have left. Then I will get a 16 pound bag and that should last us for a least a month.

goo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

WHY ??? alfalfa has been removed from many formulas due to causes tummy upset and since it is a legume it acts like a grain in the body ... I would ask you to discuss this with a vet ... YES it is likely a great one for a diabetic cat it may not be as good for the other one sue to there age
.... But I like how it reads this is just an FYI
Because for the first 2yrs I follow exact direction from the vet, diabetic can food, diabetic dry food, insulin on time, blood test every 3month..etc and my cat is not getting any better. After doing ton of research I switch to Wellness grain free wet mix w/ fresh alfafa and other supplment, now my cat is getting his back leg back and I reduce the amount of insulin by half and blood test show very good result. that's why.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Goo

Because for the first 2yrs I follow exact direction from the vet, diabetic can food, diabetic dry food, insulin on time, blood test every 3month..etc and my cat is not getting any better. After doing ton of research I switch to Wellness grain free wet mix w/ fresh alfafa and other supplment, now my cat is getting his back leg back and I reduce the amount of insulin by half and blood test show very good result. that's why.
I assume then the other cat is tested??

I am doing what my vet says but since she avocates raw
for my CRF girl and my liver girl
.... I never follewed the conventional vet as crf girl wouldnt eat:_)

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi: I don't know if this has been posted here or not, but I just received two 1.5 oz sample bags from Wellness to try out the new Core with my crew. Unfortunately the cottage cheese in Raw Instinct will not go over well in my house. They seemed to like it very much. I gave them each one little piece and they meowed for more so I mixed it in with their Cal Natural dry for the day - a whole 1/4 cup for both
. Don't worry, they get plenty of canned for breakfast dinner and late night snack.

Anyway, the link to their site is:

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/well...s_emailus.html

I just emailed to ask for a sample and they mailed it right out.

Oh and one question. I noticed a post here a while back about the Core not being the best of the choices. Why is that? Thanks.

I'll also try the Orijen in a few weeks to see which on goes over the best.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Core has MORE fish .. so it may not work for some... I am likely getting a bag of Core today since the vet okayed it

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I was looking at the Serengetti... and it has 38% protein... but I sat there and was tallying up the percentages, and ... I don't think it comes out to be 100%. Shouldn't percentages total 100?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay, so I was looking at the Serengetti... and it has 38% protein... but I sat there and was tallying up the percentages, and ... I don't think it comes out to be 100%. Shouldn't percentages total 100?
I haven't looked at it but the missing percentage is basically carbs...most likely in the form of veggies in the grain free foods. Correct me if I'm wrong....Shaaaaaaarky.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay, so that would make it a little over 20% carbs??
I think it would be more like 35%. IIRC, you add moisture, fat, and protein and subtract that total from 100. I may not have my facts totally straight but I think I'm close.

As a comparison, Raw Instinct would be 18% carbs.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
add the protein plus the fat

say imaginary formula

40 protein

25 fat

10 moisture

4 fiber this is not counted as carb thou it is

40+25=65+4=69+6.6=75.6

moisture comes from all the macro nutrients so add 6.6

100-75.6=24.4 If I am having a good math day ...

NOTE this is a rough guesstimate

so my imaginarey formula is about 24% carbs...

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I think it would be more like 35%. IIRC, you add moisture, fat, and protein and subtract that total from 100. I may not have my facts totally straight but I think I'm close.
Very close, but you forgot ash and fiber.