Grain free drys

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

For those asking about the shape/crumble texture of the foods, I took a photo of the three we have now (we are fresh out of EVO and have no serengetti either although I thought we did
)
Thanks so much icklemiss21!

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
anyone want to bring some orjin to me

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I changed the spelling in my pic and reposted the link
You are so funny!

Don't you mean the gnomes changed the spelling for you?!?!
Hey...maybe those lil buggers are useful after all!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

anyone want to bring some orjin to me
Why don't you recommend it to whomever you buy your food from? I think a lot of people are switching to grain-free foods, so it would probably be worth their while to order it, and emphasize that it hasn't got any grain.

I just ordered some more Orijen. Serengeti is actually at the top of my rotation list, but it seems to be completely sold out in Germany, and it might be months before it's available again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Why don't you recommend it to whomever you buy your food from? I think a lot of people are switching to grain-free foods, so it would probably be worth their while to order it, and emphasize that it hasn't got any grain.

I just ordered some more Orijen. Serengeti is actually at the top of my rotation list, but it seems to be completely sold out in Germany, and it might be months before it's available again.
I have ...lol.. I cant evan get Serregetti since there are some like it already ...
living out in the boodoks

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I've tried giving them Wellness Core, Serengetti, Raw Instincts, and Evo and the verdict has been thanks anyway, but I'll pass. I was going to order some Orijen, but based on the reception of these 4, I guess I might as well save my money.

grumpycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for this topic!! I had no idea of other grain free's besides Evo and Serengeti. I've got my old bat on Evo and thought I could only order Serengeti online (later found it on a different store) but I had been wanting to have a few other options, just in case.

One that I happened upon by chance is Pinnacle cat foods. Their dry has no grains (and a really cute bag!). http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_p...nnacle_dry.htm

Thanks to whoever talked about the Core. I found that in a new store. They had 2 pound bags for $8.99 (whew!) but with a $5 rebate. The kitties seem to really like it. It's very stinky though!

One question about the Core though. On their website it says 80% animal protein. Does that mean it's 80% meat, or 80% "stuff from animals"? I know evo is approx. 50% meat, as is Serengeti, and Orijen is 75%. I'd love it if the core was actually 80%! Why don't they just put that on the bag...??

I would love to try the Orijen, but just can't justify the shipping on it.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Okay, so I've tried giving them Wellness Core, Serengetti, Raw Instincts, and Evo and the verdict has been thanks anyway, but I'll pass. I was going to order some Orijen, but based on the reception of these 4, I guess I might as well save my money.
I went to the specialty store this weekend with the intention of getting Serengeti or Evo, and the lady asked me what they were eating now. I told her Avoderm, and she suggested Artemis as an "in between" food. She said when they are used to the grains (carbs) sometimes they will balk if changed to all protein suddenly. And the kits really like Artemis and it doesn't have all the corn like Avoderm did. Thumbs up!

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I went to the specialty store this weekend with the intention of getting Serengeti or Evo, and the lady asked me what they were eating now. I told her Avoderm, and she suggested Artemis as an "in between" food. She said when they are used to the grains (carbs) sometimes they will balk if changed to all protein suddenly. And the kits really like Artemis and it doesn't have all the corn like Avoderm did. Thumbs up!
I remember looking at Artemis back back in the day. Garlic was one of the ingredients, not sure about now, so that was a no-go for my kitties.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

I remember looking at Artemis back back in the day. Garlic was one of the ingredients, not sure about now, so that was a no-go for my kitties.
Is Pearled Barley a bad thing? Just looked at the Artemis web site. The posted ingredients are:

Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lamb Meal, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherois), Brown Rice, Salmon, Natural Chicken Flavor, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Apples, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Garlic, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermantation Solubles, Dried Enterococcus Faecium and Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kits liked it so much that I bought the 22 pound bag, and the crumbles are mostly at the bottom. It really doesn't seem to fall apart too easily. I think it is the square edges crumbling of, mostly.

Anyhoo, Ginger's coat is getting sleek and shiny again, just like it used to be when she ate kitten kibble (once I switched her to adult kibble, her coat got less shiny and a bit rougher.) Ferris' coat is silky soft like rabbit fur, and seems to have a nice sheen to it.

Their poops are nice and firm, if a little bigger than they used to be on the Nutro mix. Ferris' soft stool issues have gone away pretty much completely.

I'm sticking with the Nature's Variety.