Too soon to talk about gardening?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you made zucchini chocolate cake?  So moist--it's delicious, and a great use for those big or leftover zucchinis.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-zucchini-cake-20658
I've made that before!

I often make this and add in dried cranberries and chocolate chips -

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sophies-Zucchini-Bread/

Nice tomato, Betsygee! Yum!

Remember I bought that spiralizer. I haven't used it yet....we've been waiting for the zucchini to come on. I think we'll try to spiralize zucchini on Friday for supper and serve it with some spaghetti sauce. They say the spiralizer works really well with zucchini and it's not bad tasting at all. I guess it's time to find out.
Same here! I haven't used it either but may try it out on a huge zucchini I picked yesterday.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know the feeling on getting behind on weeding. I work 2 job and the BF works from daylight to dark. I am off a few nights a week and it take so long to get caught up on everything else.

I weeded on Monday and it looks better but I'm sure now, it needs to be done again.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I've harvested a few juicy tomatoes.. but I've also found some with small hole in them. I'm not sure if its due to bugs or rotting early. ANy ideas?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We are getting peppers. Not too many green peppers yet, but the Mariachi are doing well (considering the shadiness they're growing in because of the butternuts). And the banana peppers are coming along OK, too. I've chopped and frozen a couple quarts of Mariachi and a quart of bananas. I just love peppers.
Speaking of Mariachi peppers...  I finally tired my first one.  I made a pasta salad last weekend and after I'd finished cutting up all the veggies I grabbed the mariachi pepper I had in the refigerator and cut that up quickly and taste tested it.  I put the rest in a freezer bag.  It was a big spicier than I expected. I'm considering pickling some  I think they'd give sandwiches a nice kick!  

So after I did that I picked a piece of pasta out of the top of the pasta salad to taste test it.  It was peppery.  I figured I must have added too much black pepper to the dressing since I eyeball it when I make it.  I didn't think too much of it though.  Then I took another piece and licked my finger.  That's when the: 
 set in!  I'd cut that pepper up with my bare hands!  It's a good thing I didn't rub my eye!  I washed with dish soap and rubbing alcohol and that took care of mos tof the rest of it! 

I'm still waiting for peppers to ripen.  We haven't been very wet and it's been hot; but cloudy and humid.  I put the peppers in the bed next to the summer squash and zucchini; so I wonder if they are shading them some too.  The peppers are taller; but not by much honestly.  I think next year i need to spread things out.  I'm wondering if next year we can alter the shorter raised bed to be the same height as the others.  That would help.  
I often make this and add in dried cranberries and chocolate chips -

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sophies-Zucchini-Bread/

Oh that looks yummy!  I like the idea of adding the dried cranberries.  I always have those around. The kids like them more than raisins and we put them in our salads. 
  I wonder how white chocolate chips would taste?  I I think I have both on hand too.  

I've harvested a few juicy tomatoes.. but I've also found some with small hole in them. I'm not sure if its due to bugs or rotting early. ANy ideas?
What do the holes look like?  Dark?  I will cut around some imperfections in my veggies.  I use discretion; but I figure in the "old days" they couldn't afford to waste good food so I eat it.  I have had some insects put holes in my tomatoes.  I'm not sure what they were.  I try to be careful with sprays for insects because I don't want the pollinators hurt.  I try to use an organic spray on things first.  Or neem oil..  That is supposed to be good for a lot of issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I did that, too, the other day when I was chopping mariachis for the freezer. Didn't think about it and used my bare hands. And then I licked my finger up around under my fingernail (and I had even washed my hands). And felt the burn. Oops. The mariachi does have a kick, but it's not that hot, compare to some of the other peppers. I love them for that reason. I always really try to wash my hands well after handling them, though, because of touching the furkids. 

Karen, that recipe looks so good! I have dried cranberries and white chocolate chips on hand right now. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

As for tomatoes, I will cut around bad parts, too. We really try to be careful with sprays, too, because of the pollinators. We love watching the bees and the butterflies in the garden. (Ants? Ants don't count as anything good and I will murder with glee. Sorry. 
 But it's true.)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Picked a mess of peppers, all kinds of peppers.....will chop them for the freezer tonight. Also picked a ton of zucchini and yellow squash. Some of them were gigantic; they went into the compost pile. It's shame because they grew, but they were like baseballs bats! I don't know how we missed them. 

While I mowed yard yesterday, Rick worked at a bit of weeding. But we really need to get into the garden for a good all-day weeding session again. I had some issues with the riding mower. I kept spinning the rear tire and I'd go to turn the mower and it didn't want to turn. Started looking at all the wheels and saw that one of the front tires was really low. Took it back to the shed and Rick started to fix the tire. While he was doing that, I started back on the front yard with the push mower, but boy, it was hot. We're talking low 90s yesterday. No way was I pushing that mower all day long. Thankfully, he got the tire fixed up and I was able to finish the yard with no trouble. Whew!

We saved a robin yesterday, too. I was cutting squash up in the garden and I kept hearing this noise in the strawberry patch. But when I'd look, I didn't see anything. I walked over and there was a robin caught in the netting. I yelled for Rick to get his heavy gloves and the scissors and get up to the garden. Quickly! He came running up and, between the two of us, we were able to free her. He held her and I kept cutting away as carefully as I could. At first she struggled, but Rick kept cooing at her, telling her that we were trying to help her. I think she understood. We finally got the last of the netting cut and she was able to fly away. I hope she made it OK. (And we removed all the netting from the garden.)

We're having a dreadful time with Japanese beetles. As fast as Rick puts up new bags, something (we think it's a skunk) is tearing the bottoms of the bags out, we guess to get to the beetles. So basically, they're flying into the bag and flying back out of the bottom. 
 Meanwhile the beetles really did a number on a young flowering crab tree in the side yard. Rick finally fogged the tree, hoping to save it. The beetles are eating the corn tassels and they're attacking our sunflowers, too.

OMG, at last count, Rick said we have fifty (50!!!!) butternut squashes growing! Not including the flowers that are still coming on! What the heck am I going to do with 50 butternut squashes? I ask you! 50!! Don't get me wrong, I dearly love roasted butternuts. But 50??? 
 Well, I can always bake squash bread. And squash rolls. We do love yeast rolls, so that will work. But man, it's going to make a ton of yeast rolls. Use roasted squash instead of potatoes....I already do that a lot during the fall and winter. Squash bisque is divine. 50. 
 And the vines are rapidly making their way through the corn patch. They're grown out past the fence. It's like a sci-fi movie.....Revenge of the Butternuts. Butternuts go Berserk. Or a title in the Weekly World News: Couple's Home Invaded by Butternuts. 

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I picked purple hull peas yesterday and had enough for a quart sized freezer bag. We picked another pumpkin. I will be getting ready to purée and freeze it in the next day or two. By that time there will be another bunch of peas ready to pick.

I spent yesterday dead-heading my peppers. Since the storm a few weeks ago they didn't look too good, but now they are starting to put back out and it was time to trim off the damaged stems and leaves. I also did this to my broccoli and okra. We will be getting corn in soon. I noticed we are starting to get corn tassels so that's a sure sign corn will be following soon.

Our watermelons and cantaloupes are growing and should be ripe soon, as well as getting even more pumpkins.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
ugh, I read in the local paper than hornworms are infecting people's veggie gardens. I hope they leave my tomatoes alone!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful flowers Columbine! 

@Winchester; you know what they say, don't count your chickens before they are hatched!  
  Enjoy your squash!  

I'm losing some cucumber vines.  I'm wondering if it's a problem with the trellising.  One vine had grown over the top of the trellis and died from the end backward; so I figured it was because it had been hanging down.  Now another has wilted.  There are some brown spots on some leaves; especially at the edges, so maybe it's more of a heat problem with the weather?  I'm going to try to increase the watering again.  And maybe next year make taller trellises! 

I had some extra kids around today so I took them outside.  it was hot and extremely muggy!  They didn't even want to be outside for long and I didn't argue.  The breeze would have made it tolerable; but it was one of those days where the air felt mostly still.  Only an occasional breeze wasn't going to cut it!  I had to cool the kids off with ice pops.  So my garden didn't get touched today except for some watering tonight.  The good news is the peppers are FINALLY starting to ripen!  

One of my Aunts used her phone to make a little video tour of her garden for me.  I was amazed at how much she has growing out of buckets and in small areas!  She's got watermelon and pumpkins that are climbing trellises and supported in slings.  One looks big too!!  Her corn looks pretty and so out of place in her neighborhood where all the houses are close together and you can see into everyone else's backyard.  I'm convinced I should try corn next year.  But I'll need to decide where to plant it; since the fence line is where we have our little berry patch now.  

I can't believe I'm making plans for next year already...

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aaah i'm so jealous of all this garden talk! we've lived in an apartment all year with no gardening space. i can grow a mean morning glory.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester; you know what they say, don't count your chickens before they are hatched!  
  Enjoy your squash!  
More like "Don't count your butternuts til they're actually roasting in the oven!" I know! I've thought of that. I was so excited with our butternuts.

Rick went up last night and started tying some of the butternut plants to the fence to try to get them to start growing up. I've torn some old sheets into strips for making slings for the butternuts, if they decide to continue to grow on the fence....they'll need some support. Rick is going to attach some wooden slats to the fence, too, for some extra support, so he fence doesn't buckle from extra weight.

I've already started thinking about next year, too. Where to plant what and to make some trellis to attach to the fence for the squash, things like that.

The tomatoes are beautiful so far; from what we've been taking, very nice. We had our first corn last night.....beautiful ears and nice and sweet. I don't think you'd be sorry if you tried some corn. Our onions should be ready to be pulled in another couple of weeks; I keep checking on them.

Sorry about your cuke plants. Wilting and brown spots....sure you don't have a blight or something?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys :)

Our garden isn't exactly productive :lol3: Apart from an apple tree it's all inedible stuff. We just don't have the time or space to grow food. All these fruit and veg gardens sound amazing! Must be so nice to be able to grow your own food :yummy:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I think something's got one of my tomato plants.. it's not growing too well anymore and the tomatos has holes in them. they're still turning red.. the other plant, right next to it, its growing beautifully though.

I hate to use pesticides.. any suggestions?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My purple hull peas have exploded. I have picked, shelled and put up 4 quarts of peas and my vines are still loaded.

Corn will be in soon but nothing on my okra. My peppers are doing better now that I have trimmed them.  I got several peppers yesterday to put in jars.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think something's got one of my tomato plants.. it's not growing too well anymore and the tomatos has holes in them. they're still turning red.. the other plant, right next to it, its growing beautifully though.

Are you feeding your tomatoes at all?  I try to feed mine once a week since they are in the nursery pots.  Otherwise you can look for an organic spray.  Our Lowes has a big book sitting out on a stand in the inside part of the garden center.  It has a lot of pictures of common disease and pest damage to help  you figure things out.  It was missing in our store the last time I went in there; but I believe the book is by Ortho.  It'll tell you what to do to fix the problem.  Or at least give you a starting point to find an answer. 
Sorry about your cuke plants. Wilting and brown spots....sure you don't have a blight or something?
It doesn't look like a blight.  It reminds me more of when my beans were struggling in the heat a couple years ago.  I might take some pictures and wander the garden center at lowes.  They had a helpful person before; which was how I figured out it was just a heat issue and not a disease or a pest on the beans. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am feeding yep. I also found out my neighborhood is infected with hornworms so I'm not sure if that's it.

Thanks for the link!! I got some reading to do!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe hornworms only eat the foliage off your plant. They will eat it right down bare though; so keep an eye out.  I've had to kill a few in my garden before.  If you start seeing bare branches; you've got one.  I believe they also leave black "droppings."  

Other bugs will eat holes in tomatoes; but it could also be a disease I would think.  Can you post some pictures of the damage for us?

My cukes are looking bad again.  DH and I picked a basket full tonight though.  I'm hoping we can revive them because there are still plenty of flowers and tiny cukes.  Next year they are going in different beds!  I just can't see not planting them.  We eat so many and I was reading tonight that they actually like heat and humidity. So maybe the heat isn't my problem.  I took some new pictures with DH's phone to try to compare some things online.