Too soon to talk about gardening?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
How beautiful, Mani! They are gorgeous!

We're to get to the upper 60s this coming week. 
 Not bad for the first week in November is central Pennsylvania. I'll take it. And only around the low-to-mid 40s at night. It's like an extra Indian summer around here.

We pulled everything in the garden and Rick took the fence down the other weekend. We have to get that last batch of compost out of the composter, then we can get the composter in the shed. I need to get out and rake a few leaves and pick up more walnuts. Still have a bit of outside work to do yet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooh!  I love the color of those!!  So pretty!

I need to finish pulling my garden and see what I want to add to the soil before winter.  I want to put my garlic in; but its still too warm.  I never got around to getting any fall flowers so thats one less thing to do.  Our leaves are still turning here and some are on the ground; but not enough to worry about raking or  mulching them with the lawn mower.  Our soil is so sandy; we figure mulching them is probably good for it!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Some guy at church was selling tulip bulbs for a fundraiser. We've always loved tulips, but they don't last longer than a couple years. He bought a bag of Queen of the Night tulips (one of my favorites; they're such a deep, dark purple that they're almost black) and then a bag of a variety. They look like nice bulbs. I suggested that we try planting the bulbs in small cages (we have moles and voles as well as mice), but the guy told Rick that if he plants his bulbs in roofing material (dig hole, put roofing material down into hole, put bulbs on top, then replace the soil), that will also repel the critters. 

Well, I worked at International Paper for a long time and during that time, I would sometimes bring all kinds of materials home; if it was seconds, we could take what we wanted as long as we had proper passes and such. So we have a lot of different materials and we do have roofing material. He tried it out yesterday afternoon when he planted his bulbs. We'll see how well it works out.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What sort of roofing material?  Like the felt paper?  That is really interesting!  We've got more moles in our yard lately.  Especially in the back near my gardens. 

My mother has always had issues with them in her yard; but they never damaged her irises.  She had one entire side planted with them and also around her mailbox.  They completely buried some hyacinth she had planted when we first moved into that house.  She got all of the iris bulbs for free one year.  The office she worked at was near one of the landscapped areas of the city.  A city worker was outside digging out all the bulbs and one of her co-workers went over and asked why they were doing that.  They were told they were throwing them away to plant the summer flowers!!!!  Throwing out perfectly good bulbs!  What a waste!!  So Mom and her co-worker got some bags and collected all the bulbs.   My RB soul-kitty Glory had a spot behind those irises where she always laid to watch the world go by.  There was a bare impression in the dirt there because she spent so much time there.  
   They were so pretty.  They'd eventually all get so heavy with flowers that they would lay down on the ground.  

Now I want to go see if I can find any pictures of Glory in her irises.  They remind me of her. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
This isn't felt paper per se; it's a much stiffer paper. We've been using it as our landscaping paper in the flowerbeds. We dig out soil, put the paper down, replace the soil, then mulch over top. We still have a ton left.

A few years ago, when the snow was really bad, when the weather finally warmed up, we saw mole trails all over the yard; those buggers had been busy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This isn't felt paper per se; it's a much stiffer paper. We've been using it as our landscaping paper in the flowerbeds. We dig out soil, put the paper down, replace the soil, then mulch over top. We still have a ton left.

A few years ago, when the snow was really bad, when the weather finally warmed up, we saw mole trails all over the yard; those buggers had been busy.
I have found 2 good size exit holes.  One right next to the raised bed garden and one right in front of the rhubarb.  Stinkers.