Too soon to talk about gardening?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think so, never too early.....I'm looking at seed catalogs and writing down lists for things to do, plant, etc. What are you planting and are you thinking of trying anything different this season?

We're going to expand the vegetable garden by about 5 feet each way, depth and width. I'm working on a list of veggies to plant and to try for this year. No cucumbers, no green beans (at least I don't think so because we still have a bunch in the freezer). We might put in some wax beans. Definitely more corn--to fight with the raccoons and deer, more butternut squash, tomatoes, and lots of different peppers again. We just love peppers. Some green peppers and mild banana peppers. Zucchini and yellow squash. More Brussels sprouts (they were really good; even Dear Richard thought so). I'd like to try red beets again (we didn't get any last year and I don't know why....lots of beet greens, but not beets. More potatoes this year, too. There are some other things on my list to try. It will be interesting to see how the asparagus comes up this year, although we won't get anything we can eat just yet. I'd like to work in some cabbage somewhere in the garden this year. And some lettuces. Maybe some spinach. 

We need to landscape around the shed. That was where my moon garden was originally planted and I may try to do another one in front of the shed. I'd like to plant white wisteria with white hydrangeas and azaleas and such at both shed windows, but have to be careful of the double shed doors. It has planters at the windows, too, so something white for them. I'm thinking of either blackberry or raspberry bushes in back of the shed, although we might have some issues with bird poop around there if we do that and we don't need that hassle. 

I'd like to till an area just for herbs, instead of keeping them in the backyard flower bed. I think it's past time to move things around a bit in that bed anyway. 

Keep working in the front bed....we have a few spaces that could use some flowers.

We are looking at some deck plantings.....definitely a couple Ketchup N Fries plants with the tomatoes and potatoes as we find that interesting. But some flowers, too. I spend a lot of time on the deck and it needs something. We're just not sure what yet.

And we have a lot of soil to move around and level out right in back of the house from putting the shed down. The tiki bar needs a fresh coat of paint; I think the birds used the tiki's roof as a poop target!. And we're getting the fire pit for out back, too. 

If I decide I want to can any pickles, we'll buy cucumbers for a local farmer. We haven't had a lot of luck with cukes now for about two summers and it's not worth it. There are other things I can plant.

We have a problem spot by the pool. There's an area that's fenced-in, but it's just a huge slab of cement from where the pool pump originally set before we moved it. I would love to get rid of the chunk of cement, but it's ungodly heavy and how in the world do you get rid of something like that?? It's not connected to any of the cement around the pool, just this big cement slab. The guys can't even lift, let alone move it. But if we could get it out of there, I could put in a very small patio-type tree in that area.

So that's my list for the season. I keep trying to figure out what to plant; Rick says he'll let it up to me, but I've seen him perusing the seed catalogs, too.. 

What are you looking forward to garden-wise this season? Have you thought about it yet?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Not too early here!  This just bloomed in our yard.  The problem here is that we're having a beautiful spring but we're still in the middle of a long drought and by summer everything will be dry.  We do have full rainwater collection tanks but still, we have to be very frugal with plant watering.  

We mostly grow ornamental plants--deer and drought resistant.  But this year I want to get a small raised bed to raise a few veggies, just some lettuce, tomatoes and a few herbs.

I'm looking at something like this from Gardener's Supply.  

furry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just about finished building the new greenhouse which replaces the old rotten wooden one the previous owners had. I already have a few potatoe grow bags on the go and 3 propagators with seeds. Forgot to label them up though so I don't know what is what! I'm sure once they start growing I'll be able to figure it out. I think I've done toms, red onions, peppers, spinach, lettuce and kale.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been chomping on the bit to get my tomato seeds started, but I SWORE I would not until April first, they got too leggy and big last year. I think I'll get every thing ready this weekend, it's CLOSE!
We always plant two to three dozen tomato plants (we share with the local nursing homes and all our relatives), 6 hot pepper, 12 green peppers, bunching and regular onions, carrots, beets, green beans, potatoes, cantaloupe, cucumbers, gourds and pumpkins. I am trying so hard to resist planting watermelons, we grow beautiful ones and never get to eat them, we pick them too early or too late. ANY sure fire methods to tell when they are ripe? The weather has really been warming up, all 60's and 70's the next week, time to rake out the flower beds, throw it in the garden and get it tilled, we manured last fall. I mulch every thing with grass clippings and straw so I don't have to weed, it sure makes my life easier! I 'm going to try to get some bunching onions and radishes in next week, IT'S TIME!!! 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Never too early! Since I've moved to my new place, I've been DYING to do some gardening! I have a small plot to work with and room on my porch for some potted plants. I CAN'T WAIT! I have some daffodils growing now from the previous owners.

I've already started to gather some stuff (Bought my FIRST hand shovel, so excited!!), small white picket fence (a dollar each at the dollar store), some pots and such. Mother's day I go with my mom and buy her plants for her garden.. this year I will get to pick some out for myself too!!

I just don't know what kind of flowers I want to plant.. or if I want to try some veggies. not sure if I have a lot of room for those though. maybe in the pots?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a Burgess catalog sitting on my coffee table for too long, I finally gave in. . .:D

Not really for a garden exactly, but I ordered a bunch of berry bushes and baby trees for the acreage. I got blueberries, blackberries, and honeyberries. And a few scarlet maples, a couple weeping cherries, and some producing cherries. I also ordered a dozen "grab-bag" trees, I figured that if it's not a tree I want in the yard, I can just plant it in the shelterbelt, no problem. For less than a dollar each I won't quibble ;). And I ordered some shrub roses to put on the edges of the shelterbelt to add a little color.

I'll probably end up making another order for strawberries and tomatoes and annual flowers. Or just get those at a local greenhouse. I'm not ready for a big garden yet, but I always like to have a few tomato plants in. And while I'm not a huge strawberry fan, there's nothing like one right off the plant, warm from the sun :D. And there are these cool white strawberries in the catalog that I want to try.

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be bit late already for some plants, I think that tomatoes need to be started about week or two ago for them to be ready to be planted outdoors when weather finally warms up in two months or so.

Summer is only 2-2.5 months so many plants need kind of kick start to be able to carry a fruit before end of summer chill comes.

I will put some potatoes into bucket and I might try to get some peas going, but nothing major this year as I have to build a roof and do a lot of other wood related stuff this season.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH is working on making a little wood shed in the back of the yard now; so we've been talking yard projects.  Much to my surprise he suggested we add another raised bed. 
  I'm not sure where I want it yet.  I'm also starting to like the idea of having a small greenhouse. 

I need to find some seed catalogs myself.  I'd love to try some pole beans like my Grandpa used to grow.  He'd saute them with garlic in olive oil, add a little salt and pepper and yummy!!  i never see those in the store though.  I want to do carrots; but they seem to always be bitter here.  I'm not sure why.  I will do cukes; but I do plan to buy them from a farm stand when I do pickles.  My pickles were a big hit (thanks for the recipe Pam!) and DH definitely wants more of those!  I just found it cumbersome to only do 5 jars at a time as I picked enough.  I'd rather spend a day doing a huge batch if that makes sense.  The same for pickled banana peppers.  I may try pickling hot peppers too.

I do want to do banana peppers; the snacker size ones, regular bell peppers and those semi-hot ones (I can't think of the name at the moment).  I'll probably do 2 of each plant.  Last year I had 4 banana pepper plants and they produced TOO well. 
  But I think with pepper plants you need 2 of each to have good pollination.  I'm going to put tomatoes in pots on my patio again.  I've got some garlic sprouts starting in my garden already (which I had to weed a bit the other day!!).  I'm going to do summer squash and zucchini but only 2 of each plant.  Hopefully my problems with those have been from over-crowding.  

I think it would be fun to try potatoes too.  I'm not sure if they can be done in a raised bed if we don't till the ground underneath.  A little part of me wants to just "bunny fence" off a section of the yard and dedicate it to a traditional garden space.  I've seen some really nice plans where people still do raised beds and put pea gravel in between them so it's nice to walk and you don't have to mow.  Mowing is one reason DH didn't want more beds before.  I'm considering using one section in the new raised bed for herbs; but keeping invasive things like mint in pots on the patio still.  Herb gardening seems to be more for the enjoyment for me.  I had bugs eating the basil and sage last  year; so I didn't get to enjoy cooking with them.  

The other thing I would like to try is broccoli.  We eat a ton of it; but I'm worried about being able to clean little bugs out of it.  A co-worker once told me she had a horrid time with bugs in hers that they stopped growing it.  But it's neat to try different things.  And since I've done the tomatoes in pots it's freed up a lot of the garden for trying things.

I'm not sure what flowers I will put in my front stair step planter DH built last year.  He put a stain/sealant on that last weekend.  It looks nice and should last longer now.  I may just decide when I see something in the garden center.  I will do hanging baskets with Calibrachoa again.  I love those!  I still want to do some landscaping around the front of the house but that's such a project.  Possibly expensive too.  I looked at flowers and flowering bushes last year but I couldn't decide.  

I also want to do a memorial garden in the back somewhere.  I just don't know where to put it.  It may be a wildflower garden.  I'm not sure yet.  I've been thinking about it off and on but I haven't decided about what to grow.  I always do Forget-me-nots for my Grandtather.  My Gram loved Queen Anne's Lace.  My Grandpa would stop and pick some from the side of the road and she'd keep it in a vase on the dining room table.  So that might be a good option.  If I go with the wildflower idea; I want to put a birdhouse on a pole there.  My Grandparents had quite a few of those around their yard.  Some bird statues might be nice too.  Or a birdbath.  It mostly represents Gram now; but gardening and bird watching was something they did together so it'll incorporate my Grandpa too.   

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got several birdbaths around and it is lovely to watch the birds, they really get used to it quick. I think wildflowers would be beautiful!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Never too early. I've got big plans for the garden this year, but I think I'll need to wait a few more weeks at least because the ground is still frozen. I packed all the gaps in an old stone wall with earth and planted some Mountain Phlox last week. It's doing well, considering it's below freezing here at night. And the tulips and daffodils are coming up!

I'm going to make a vegetable garden, got it all planned out, just have to wait until the ground is soft enough to dig.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still a little early here. It's only about 35 degrees this morning.

Next weekend, I'm hoping to start pruning.  I have roses, hydrangeas, and other bushes which need attention.  

I ordered one new rose this year, a climber called Prosperity - sort of creme colored with undertones of pink, from The Antique Rose Emporium in Texas.  I'm going to try "pegging" a couple of the bushes this year - the one with long, flexible canes get tied down to the ground which makes them grow more lateral resulting in substantially more blooms.

Last year, I was in no condition to garden due to recuperating from knee surgery.  This year I'm hoping to have more energy.  My BF is the main person who actually puts things in the ground, so as long as he's up for it, I'll be adding to existing.  I'd like to find some interesting hostas, and other shade lovers for a specific area on the side of our house.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just weeded my garden last week to get it ready. In the fall, I planted 5 allum bulbs a client gave me, & they are coming up! I'm so excited! I hope they get really tall & pretty like the pictures. I think they were the Blue Persians, so I'm not sure if they will get as tall as the big purple ones do. I just bought a couple envelopes of the big tall sunflowers. I always plant sunflowers. The sunflowers & allums will look pretty together, so I hope it all comes up nicely. We are having one last cold snap this weekend, so I will probably plant them in the next week or two. It's been getting warm during the day. 60's, & 70's.  

I always have good luck with a mixed seed packet too. I usually plant those at the end of my stair wall where it's shorter. Sunflowers on the other end, where it's taller. I also see what looks like some Gladiolas coming up already. I also planted some poppy seeds given to me in the fall, but no sign of them yet, so may try & plant some more when I do my planting. As far as the rest, I think this year, I will fill in with flowers already started, I will probably get them from Lowe's. 

Here are pictures of my garden when I first dug/created it back in 2010 to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Some of you will remember.

(There are more pictures in my album). 

I live in a house that was converted to two apartments, one upstairs, (me), & one downstairs, so this is what I did!    

This was the first year, the best one I've had sense. Hopefully this year will be a good one too! 
  I also need to replace a rose bush that was in the corner pot up on the porch. It had a rose bush in it that would bloom a peachy, yellowish color with raspberry edges. It was pretty but they were small, so a bloom only lasted a few days. I had it for probably 10 yrs or so, then it just didn't come back.

I may try & find a lavender rose bush this year!

I can just envision the allums & the sunflowers together!  (lol, there's Angel, when he still used to go outside. Aug. will be 4 yrs. inside now!)  

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Went out to shop for food.

Came back,

Landscaper was here. Cleaned up yard; blew away all the winter leaves and stuff and now the beds are beautifully mulched!

Oh and noticed my hosta and daylilies are poking out of the ground!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Last week I would have said it's too soon, but this week there seems to be a light at the end of the snow tunnel. :lol3: I can see most of my yard again.

I have a LOT of cleanup to do out there.

We are continuing our house painting this year, so I won't be going crazy with pots of flowers, etc. I think we are going to skip mulching again this year as well.

I definitely haven't thought about the vegetable garden yet, other than I will be planting less kale. The bugs were just too frustrating last year.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw something I'd never seen before, let alone existed.

Lobster mulch.

I had to look this up.  It seemed to make sense since fish emulsion is great for plants. Roses really love it.  Sure enough, up in New England this is used quite a bit, lots of calcium in it, and somehow made it's way down to our area.  If I'd had my BF with me I would have picked up several bags but alas, I couldn't even lift one small bag myself.  

Hoping next time I'm at Wegman's with him that it will still be there. 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've heard of Lobster mulch! :lol3: It's probably Coast of Maine brand. A lot of people put seaweed in their vegetable garden for compost also.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw something I'd never seen before, let alone existed.

Lobster mulch.

I had to look this up.  It seemed to make sense since fish emulsion is great for plants. Roses really love it.  Sure enough, up in New England this is used quite a bit, lots of calcium in it, and somehow made it's way down to our area.  If I'd had my BF with me I would have picked up several bags but alas, I couldn't even lift one small bag myself.  

Hoping next time I'm at Wegman's with him that it will still be there. 
There was one Nature (I think it was by Nature) document that did follow one year cycle of forest, fish was crucial for forest's growth, I think it was salmon that did go upstream, bears did catch them and they did catch them so much they did not eat all, after a while there was lot of rotten fish on forest ground as bears did carry fish to forest.

Then many creatures got chance to breed because of that rotten fish, also insect that did kill trees and it was crucial that some trees were killed that others could get enough light. Also fish was great fertilizer, together with more light it made possible to forest to be on that location, I think that it would of been impossible for forest to be so alive on that location otherwise.

So perhaps we could say that fish is natural fertilizer for our gardens too? :D

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got some things potted up this weekend.  Others, have to wait as my BF's shoulder was on the fritz and I'm no longer able to dig big holes.  However, both of the larger ones can sit in the pots they came in for a while. One, is a climbing rose and getting it acclimated to the site makes sense.  The other is the peony and I found out that they really dislike being moved once leafed out.  The advice I've received is leave it in the pot until the fall, and then plant once going dormant.  

I did manage to peg one of the rose bushes - we'll see how that works.  The other I couldn't even tackle.  The canes are SO large and thick I couldn't bend it to the ground (long as they are).  I got one down, and it popped right back up once the peg was in the dirt - it's just too heavy.  I think I'll have to chop it to the ground in the fall, and try next year with newly emerging canes instead.

My new goatskin gloves worked great for everything...except that monster rose bush lol.  That thing is like an alligator - lots of "teeth" :D

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of you have such nice setups. I don't even bother anymore. My house is a plant hospice. They come here to die. I'm the plant grim reaper. I walk through garden centers and I swear I can hear the plants shuddering in fear that I will be bringing them home. 

I managed to bring a small fig tree back to life that my DH's grandfather gave us. It wasn't doing very well. I got it going and planted it in the yard. It started producing figs and I was so proud of myself. I thought I had broken the curse. Well, we never did get one fig. A large possum was eating them as soon as they sprouted and then the landscapers ran the tree over with the mower. I came home one day and all that was left of it was a broken stick on the lawn.  I always wondered if the tree asked them to kill it before I managed to.  
   The curse continues. 

I also tried with a small planting kit made for children. It had seeds for small red flowers and had a little Winnie the Pooh figurine that hung by his paws off the side of the very small pot. I  followed the instructions to the letter and got the seedlings to sprout and then thinned them like they said to. The next day the rest of them were all dead. Ages 3 and up my eye.

DH and DD got a good laugh out of that one.