Too soon to talk about gardening?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nice, Mooch! Everything looks so nice; Yellow Man and Yellow Ma'am are doing a great job. Are the Yellow Children helping out at all? 

Your tomatoes look beautiful. Everything looks gorgeous. Great job!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
beautiful garden, Mooch! I am jealous of all the space!

I tied up my tomato plants yesterday and did some weeding last night.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Nice, Mooch! Everything looks so nice; Yellow Man and Yellow Ma'am are doing a great job. Are the Yellow Children helping out at all? 

Your tomatoes look beautiful. Everything looks gorgeous. Great job!
Yellow children helped pick the peas. 
  They can probably help with the beans too.  DD did good picking out which were ready and which needed longer.  

The kids are loving it; which is one reason I enjoy gardening.  Yesterday DD walked over to the basket of things I'd picked the night before, picked up a gypsy pepper and said "I want THIS for lunch!"  

I'm back to my summer problem of not having enough room for produce in the refigerator!  I bought a lot of fruit this week and our produce drawer is almost always full anyway.  So walking in with my lovely haul left me with no where to put it!  I might have to wash the drawer where I keep meats (in plastic bags) and use that too.  A full refigerator is a really nice problem!!  

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Terrible news!!!!! 

We had a severe thunderstorm Wednesday night, with high winds, hard rain and lots of pea sized hail. (
 enter bad language here 
)

Needless to say, my garden didn't bode well and the aftermath is devastating. All my plants look like they were shot with bird shot. My tomato plants are laying on the ground and my peppers and okra look like Swiss cheese, not to mention my watermelon, pumpkin and cantaloupe. My corn looks like someone walked through it beating it with a stick. There are pieces of garden all over the place.

I had to work all day yesterday and last night so I didn't get to look at it until this morning. My BF called me last night and gave me the bad news. We are going to work to salvage as much as we can, which means bandaging & staking up everything before the next storm comes through..... which will be tomorrow afternoon.

I am going to get jars and freezer bags to see what I can put up so the plants will have time to recuperate before more grows. Wish us luck.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no Kntrygrl!!  
  I've watched a few storms come through in the daytime and whip my garden around.  It's hard to sit there just watching it.  A few years ago my friend had her very first garden buried in hail.  She hasn't tried again since!

I hope you can salvage some things at least!  What a disappointment! 

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry! That's terrible; your poor garden. There have been times that we've been worried due to not enough rain or too much rain. There's not much that can be done.

A couple years ago (you weren't here then), something ripped through our little cornfield. It looks like whatever it was ate what they could and then literally just rolled through the corn. Rick was devastated....all that work and we didn't get one ear that year. It was nasty. He was furious and the bad words came fast and furious. He was so angry that he put bird netting over the whole area; by that time the damage was done, though. One night we had a beautiful little cornfield and the next morning, it was complete destruction. We know how sick you're feeling right now. And I'm so sorry.

Mooch, I think your kids are really enjoying the garden. Sounds like they're having a great time picking peas and the beans. I have found with our grands that when they help to cook, they're more willing to eat what they've cooked. I'm sure it's the same thing with gardening, that when they pick it, they want to eat it. 

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Evidently, we had some kind of a downburst yesterday with all that rain. The corn is down all over the place. Rick went up and strung rope throughout the cornfield, hoping it would help the corn come back. We had some corn forming ears. I don't know what's going to happen to it now. It looks bad. Thank goodness, the tomatoes were caged really well. 

While he was up there, he picked these. I kept a couple of them for salads this coming week, but the others are cleaned and chopped and in the freezer.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Mooch, I think your kids are really enjoying the garden. Sounds like they're having a great time picking peas and the beans. I have found with our grands that when they help to cook, they're more willing to eat what they've cooked. I'm sure it's the same thing with gardening, that when they pick it, they want to eat it. 
I think it is helping.  My DD is a good eater and DS is; but he's been better with the other things I've brought in.

I sprayed my peppers down with neem oil tonight.  Something is really chewing up the leaves!  

I'm losing flowers on the summer squash and zucchini too; so I'm guessing bunnies and I sprayed good with the liquid fence.  I saved the hair from DH's last trim so I'll go sprinkle that around tomorrow.  i was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.  With 2 types of bug spray on.  

I pulled the peas tonight and I'm going to plant the other cucumbers tomorrow.  I got enough beans for a meal tonight too.  They were both the bush beans and a Italian bean in the bush variety.  I'm hoping they are as good as my Grandpas!  I might just have to break down and go for the Italian Pole beans next year.  

I pulled 2 heads of garlic from the ground too.  One I'd broken off because I thought it was dead; to find the center was still green.  The other was all brown.  Both are small; but I'm keeping them to see how they look once they dry out a bit.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My tomatoes are still green.. and it hasn't really been hot here. I hope they will turn red and taste good in the end!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It always seems to me that the first tomatoes and first peppers take the longest to ripen.  

It's that time of year where I'm looking for more space in my refigerator and my freezer.  The produce drawer is full and so is the drawer where I normally keep the meats.  I've got squash and cucumbers on the shelves too.  I've only picked maybe 6 of the pickling cukes; there just isn't room for them in the drawers.  I think I either need to get busy making breads from the squashes or just shred some to make breads and things later.  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I posted about the little garden we started in post #18.  I think we got the wrong kind of potting soil--it seems too 'hot'.  We're thinking of starting over with different soil.  But in the meantime, we brought in our big harvest!    

It didn't last long--we promptly sliced it up and ate it with crackers, gruyere and basil. 

I do have a couple of bell peppers going, so we'll probably wait until those are ready to harvest before we start over with different soil.  

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That's a nice looking tomato, Betsy! :clap:

I took pics after I weeded a few weeks ago and never posted them. I would be embarrassed to take pics now because there are so many weeds again. :cringe:

I picked a few cherry tomatoes over the weekend and two large zucchini today. :)

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a few peppers before my plants were demolished by the storm and just a few after. I have them pickled and waiting to see how they taste

We got a few cherry and tommy toe tomatoes but not many.

Our watermelon, pumpkins & cantaloupe are doing well.

We are awaiting corn, okra and beans now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That tomato is adorable! 

We've been pulling some good things in!  But I had to spray the summer squash and 1 zucchini plant for powdery mildew. 
  I'm getting more summer squash than zucchini.  I think the bunnies may have eaten too many flowers off the one zucchini plant because it's just not producing much.  But on the other plant I had one get away from me!  It's gigantic!  I know some people won't use the really big ones; but I have in the past for zucchini bread and it's worked fine.  I hate to waste it; especially since I don't know if I've got the powdery mildew under control yet.

I'm still waiting for peppers to ripen but there are a bunch out there.  I did have to spray those too.  Something was eating the leaves. They look awful.  We've been getting a good number of the pickling size cucumbers and hopefully we will have the salad ones soon.  They seem to be growing slower.  The "picklebush" variety I planted after pulling the peas is at a small sprout stage.  We've gotten a good amount of beans out of the garden too.  And we are getting tomatoes.  They have looked much better since I'm watering them twice a day.  Even if that means going out after dark.
  I use a wand; so I can water the soil and not the leaves at least.  I am not an early riser; so lately the kids come outside with me in their' pjs when they get up.  Then we go inside for breakfast. 

I'd love to do a batch of pickles; but I've got company coming so I just don't think I have time!  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Have you made zucchini chocolate cake?  So moist--it's delicious, and a great use for those big or leftover zucchinis.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-zucchini-cake-20658
Ooh that looks good!  I usually freeze both zucchini and summer squash breads.  This might be something nice to serve our company this weekend!  I just need time to bake it!  
  I think I might just grate it up and freeze it in 2 cup servings for breads.  I'd prefer to bake now; otherwise it might just get forgotten for "later.'

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know what you mean @MoochNNoodles. My peppers are pretty much leafless now. They were looking good and producing peppers like crazy and now the leaves are all but gone. No blooms either. We sprayed yesterday but I think it's too late. I am thinking of getting a few plants from my night time job (Home Depot), we have them for 4 / $10 and they are full of blooms. Of course they will be put on my porch so I can watch them better. I may get some tomato plants too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Nice tomato, Betsygee! Yum!

I mentioned in the dinner thread that we are picking zucchini. I took three the other day and will have to go up tonight to check on things. There were some that were starting to get big. Yellow squash, too. Onions are doing beautifully. We have baby sunflowers on the plants, but they're not open yet.

Remember I bought that spiralizer. I haven't used it yet....we've been waiting for the zucchini to come on. I think we'll try to spiralize zucchini on Friday for supper and serve it with some spaghetti sauce. They say the spiralizer works really well with zucchini and it's not bad tasting at all. I guess it's time to find out.

Tomatoes are coming, but I think we've got blight. Again. This will probably be our last year at growing tomatoes. It's not worth it. I gave up on cucumbers, too, this year.

We have little ears on the corn. And tassles. The corn looks good. After that last storm we had, we went up to the garden and the corn stalks were over. We pulled them back up and Rick threaded rope around the top of the corn and fastened it all to the fencing. It seems to have helped. Looks kind of weird, but hey, if it works, that's what's important.

Butternuts are taking over the garden! My poor pepper plants aren't doing well, because the butternuts are taking over their space. That was purely my fault. I knew that we wanted to run the butternut plants up the fence, so that we had more space in the garden. So what do I do? I planted them in rows between the end of the corn and the peppers. Stupid move on my part....and Rick tells me so every time we go up to the garden. Those butternuts have taken over everything! And we have little butternuts. They're so cute.

We are getting peppers. Not too many green peppers yet, but the Mariachi are doing well (considering the shadiness they're growing in because of the butternuts). And the banana peppers are coming along OK, too. I've chopped and frozen a couple quarts of Mariachi and a quart of bananas. I just love peppers.

We just got so far behind on our weeding at the beginning of the summer and now we can't get caught up. It's a real shame for the garden and we're trying. But it won't stop raining either and so the whole thing just looks bad. I'd take some pictures, but to be honest, I'm more than a little embarrassed at how weedy it all is.