Too soon to talk about gardening?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Miracle Grow.  I keep one watering can specifically for watering with that.  You'll have to look at the packaging to know what things it's good for; but last year I was having issues with my tomatoes and my cukes until I started "feeding" them.  I believe it isn't good for beans and I'm not sure about peas and carrots off the top of my head.  I get the granule kind.  It looks like pink pop-rocks (the candy) and you just mix it with water in the watering can.  I need to check the packaging to see when I should start feeding them this year.  I added fresh soil and composted to my beds; so I don't want to over-do it. 
  I'm still learning at this.  It's my 5th year gardening; but I feel like I'm constantly leaning as I go! 

My carrots are always the last thing to sprout.  I've already thnned my cukes, beans and summer squash; but the carrots just now came up.  

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks MoochNNoodles.  I have used Miracle Grow before for flowers, but wasn't sure about using it for vegetables.  I've tried growing tomatoes in pots before, but didn't have much success.  This is my first time trying in ground veggie growing.  I left a spot for beans, which I will plant in another week or so.

Great idea about using a separate watering can for the Miracle Grow, btw.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks MoochNNoodles.  I have used Miracle Grow before for flowers, but wasn't sure about using it for vegetables.  I've tried growing tomatoes in pots before, but didn't have much success.  This is my first time trying in ground veggie growing.  I left a spot for beans, which I will plant in another week or so.

My dad used Miracle Grow for everything in his garden.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am excited!  I have one little green tomato on my Amelia plant, three on the Indigo Rose, and three on the Biltmore.  These are all untried varieties (to me).  I usually get a few varieties (Better Boy, Early Girl) that have proven themselves in the past and then some new things just for the adventure. My goal is to have ripe tomatoes before the Fourth of July.  And if all goes well, that should happen at least with the Indigo Rose, which is a purple variety of a cherry tomato.  (Last year, I was overrun with grape tomatoes.)  

I don't have big garden:  11 tomatoes, 2 pickling cucumbers, 1 jalapeno pepper, and 1 cantaloupe.  I bought a simple pickle making kit online, then couldn't find the kind of cucumbers I needed in the grocery store, so decided to grow my own.  The jalapenos are for salsa!

Oh, and I mustn't forget the pink lemonade blueberry plant.  I've tried several varieties that were supposed to be right for our area, but none of them made it.  This one has little blueberries all over it.  I almost want to hold my breath when I look at it.  If anyone has any blueberry advice, it would be surely be welcome.  

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have my tomatoes in big nursery pots.  I was having issues with them in the ground; plus it freed up more space in my raised garden beds for other things.  Last year I used an organic potting mix and had them on my patio and I still had issues; but they were better.  This year I put the pots along the side of my shed where they get better light.  So far they look good!  I also changed the potting mix to Miracle Grows.  I think because the extra water runs out of the bottom of the pots feeding is more important.  They lose nutrients.  I tried to do a potted tomato plant at my old house and killed it.  I think it was too hot against the side of the house (it had metal siding) and the pot was too small.  I'm hoping for a better tomato year this year!  We love them!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I picked three banana peppers on Sunday! 
We have tons of pepper flowers on the plants. Tons of squash flowers coming along, too. The onions look gorgeous! Well, as gorgeous as onions can be, I guess. 

Our garden actually looks like a garden for the first time this year. After being diagnosed with liver and brain cancer at the beginning of May, Rick's father died the day after Memorial Day and it has been a very hectic time around here. Rick and his sister spend many nights sleeping at the house, so their mother isn't alone. He has been there more than he is here, so I'm trying to keep the house and yard moving along....and I'm not doing a great job. I get the yard mowed once a week and get a bit of weeding done here and there, along with the housework and such, but honestly, that's pretty much it. 

This past weekend was the first weekend since the beginning of May that Rick and I were together for the whole weekend. We got a lot done and the gardens show that we did. The vegetable garden really looks nice and we've been working on the flower beds now. We finally got the pool opened on Sunday, but because we opened it so late this year, the water is a beautiful dark shade of....green.
 We still have a ton of work to catch up on and it's been a mad dash to work on things, but we're getting there. We still didn't get the composter out of the shed. 

Anyway, I picked the first of the banana peppers on Sunday. The tomatoes are looking good, after scaring me right after I planted them. I swore the leaves looked blight-like and I was in panic mode. But they've recovered and they're looking nice. Broccoli looks good...I planted six broccoli plants, so that we could enjoy fresh broccoli, but I don't think I'm going to freeze it anymore. Since the zucchini and yellow squash are in flower-mode, we can expect to see some squash fairly soon. Rick's already excited about zucchini....not! Corn is really looking nice, since the area has been weeded. We planted some smaller sunflowers next to the fence and, again, since it's been weeded, we can actually see them.

Karen, I'm going to post a picture of "something" for you and others to look at. I had planted a mesclun mix as well as some butterhead (I think it was called) lettuce. Rick was going to pull this plant out on Saturday and I told him to wait.....I don't think it's a weed. And you're a greens expert
, so I'd like to post a picture for you to tell me what it is, if you could please. Will take a picture of it tonight and post it. Thank you.

Sounds like your gardens are all coming along beautifully! 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My gardens gave me a little scare.  Or; my potted things anyway.  It's been hot here.  And we were out of town.  I have a house sitter and she was to water the garden and things for me.  We got home after dark so I didn't get to look at the gardens and then the next day was really busy; so I didn't get to go outside until almost evening.  My New Guinea Inpatients looked dead.  My Gerbera Daises had 3 pretty flowers when I left.  They were gone and most of the plant was wilting.  One tomato plant looked shriveled.  You get the picture.  My first thought was she didn't water!  I knew we got some rain and I vacuumed stuff off the carpet so I was sure she had been out there at some point.  So I got to watering... and whew....  things perked up almost right away!  I think what happened was that she expected me to water the day I got back but I didn't; so they went about 2 days in +90 temps with no water.  Thankfully only the beans in the garden had signs of dryness.

Other than that; well things really sprouted while i was away!!  I have peppers on every plant and some are big!  I need to check for ripeness and put something under a few banana peppers that are so long they touch the ground.  I have summer squash and zucchini coming in nicely.  (As an aside; the seeds I bought for those said they were compact plants....They are so not compact!!)  My peas are taller than I've ever had them; They've got to be 3 1/2' tall!!  And I'll be picking peas any day now.  I'd pretty much given up on them setting any fruit because it's been so hot. But I have peas now!  My cukes are growing a tad slow; but I'm going to feed them soon.  One put out a runner while we were away.  I need to work that back toward the trellis so it can grow up instead of out into the yard.  The beans are flowering and the potatoes have gotten away from me. I'm not sure if I can hill them still.  

The tomatoes seemed to be springing back with some water.  I found yellow leaves on some.  Last year that happened and feeding them helped.  I just didn't want to feed them yet because the pots were so dry.  I have one tomato that is about half ripe.  I cannot wait for fresh tomatoes!!  The rhubarb was also showing stress and it's under a hedge line.  I can't reach that with the hose so I've been using a watering can to water that.  I was really nervous when I saw it because I just sent my Grandfather pictures of the garden and the rhubarb came from his yard so I've really wanted it to do well.  it was doing well; before we went away!  That was also perking up once it got water.  I asked DH to find the extra hose so that made giving everything a good drink much easier.  He also trimmed some tree branches that were hanging low over the rhubarb.  

I watered all the potted things in several, slower sessions.  That seemed to help.  I'm just amazed at how much everything changed in just a few days time!  It's exciting to think we should have our own fresh veggies to eat soon!  I do need to get out there with some neem oil.  I'm seeing signs of spiders and something chewing some leaves. I also need to weed badly.  I have a maple tree growing next to the peas.  I had about 20 of them growing in the mulch around the rhubarb.  
  What I would really like to know is; why don't the weeds suffer when i'm not around to give the garden attention??  
  I think in the future; no more traveling during gardening season! 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I'm really disappointed with my vegetable garden. The only thing that came up were the potatoes! No sign of any carrots, cabbages or corn, just some very well tended weeds. Maybe I planted too early.

The flowers are looking good though, the tulips and daffodils are all finished but the morning glories and the sunflowers are about 6 inches high now. It's rainy season in Japan, no need to water anything and I've got loads of huge ferns growing in the cat's enclosure, great for hiding behind and launching an ambush attack.

Toby amongst the ferns.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I picked my first tomato yesterday.  It was all split around the stem. 
  I may still slice it up and taste it.  I picked a strawberry too; but I forgot it out there so it's probably gone.  I need to pick peas today and I'll have peppers any day now!  

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My green beans are flowering. Brocolli is still just leaves. I think my tomato plants are going to kick the bucket.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My peppers are loaded. We got a few peppers off the other day and will be getting more by the weekend. My tomatoes are loaded but aren't quite ready.

My pumpkins, watermelon and cantaloupe are full of flowers. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I picked my first tomato yesterday.  It was all split around the stem. 
  I may still slice it up and taste it.  I picked a strawberry too; but I forgot it out there so it's probably gone.  I need to pick peas today and I'll have peppers any day now!  
This frequently is caused by irregular watering.  If the plants are allowed to get too dry, the moisture content of the fruit itself will suffer. What's your watering schedule like?

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Subzero temps few nights ago, last night barely above freezing, even daytime temps have been around 50F(10C) so it is not really good to start gardening yet.

Tomatoes usually barely make it, but on this summer they probably don't make it, it is later in autumn when tomatoes get ready if they get.

Living near Arctic Circle and relatively high above sea level (around 700 feet which is higher than most live here) is not so great for gardening.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This frequently is caused by irregular watering.  If the plants are allowed to get too dry, the moisture content of the fruit itself will suffer. What's your watering schedule like?
I usually water once a day; in the evening.  If they seem really dry I'll water them a bit; go water the rest of the gardens and then go water them again.  But maybe with the tomatoes being in pots I need to water twice a day?  They don't seem wilted at 24 hours between waterings.  It has been awfully hot though.  And I was out of town most of last week; so my house sitter might have been less regular with the watering.  I have noticed the roma tomato plant is the most sensitive to how much water it has gotten.  It's also the "bushiest" of them all.  
Subzero temps few nights ago, last night barely above freezing, even daytime temps have been around 50F(10C) so it is not really good to start gardening yet.

Tomatoes usually barely make it, but on this summer they probably don't make it, it is later in autumn when tomatoes get ready if they get.

Living near Arctic Circle and relatively high above sea level (around 700 feet which is higher than most live here) is not so great for gardening.
Oh brrr!!  Although we've consistently been over 90F here; so I'd love a little of that coolness!  This afternoon the temperatures dropped to about 75 with a good breeze while I was getting gas for the car and I got cold!  I was standing there trying to figure out when 75 became cool to me!  

The kids and I picked peas and 2 cherry tomatoes today.  I did pick another tomato; but it's not as ripe as I'd have liked so it's in the window.  I wanted to try to save it from splitting like the other did.  My 5 year old did a great job picking the peas!  She did great finding the ones that were ready!  She got really excited at all the peppers coming on now and the baby beans we found.  She's going to be a great helper!

My garlic looks like it's drying out on me.  The stems were very tall and strong looking; but they are drying from the outside now.  This is only the 2nd time I've grown it (and the first failed) so I'm not totally sure what to expect anyway.  It looked so nice before; I was hoping for a good harvest! 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I usually water once a day; in the evening.  If they seem really dry I'll water them a bit; go water the rest of the gardens and then go water them again.  But maybe with the tomatoes being in pots I need to water twice a day?  They don't seem wilted at 24 hours between waterings.  It has been awfully hot though.  And I was out of town most of last week; so my house sitter might have been less regular with the watering.  I have noticed the roma tomato plant is the most sensitive to how much water it has gotten.  It's also the "bushiest" of them all.  

Oh brrr!!  Although we've consistently been over 90F here; so I'd love a little of that coolness!  This afternoon the temperatures dropped to about 75 with a good breeze while I was getting gas for the car and I got cold!  I was standing there trying to figure out when 75 became cool to me!  

The kids and I picked peas and 2 cherry tomatoes today.  I did pick another tomato; but it's not as ripe as I'd have liked so it's in the window.  I wanted to try to save it from splitting like the other did.  My 5 year old did a great job picking the peas!  She did great finding the ones that were ready!  She got really excited at all the peppers coming on now and the baby beans we found.  She's going to be a great helper!

My garlic looks like it's drying out on me.  The stems were very tall and strong looking; but they are drying from the outside now.  This is only the 2nd time I've grown it (and the first failed) so I'm not totally sure what to expect anyway.  It looked so nice before; I was hoping for a good harvest! 
Watering should be done in the mornings.  When it' done at night, the plants spend the entire next day baking in the sun, getting stressed.  Also, yes if in pots you may have to water them 2x a day, regardless of pot size.  The containers will retain heat, and dry out much quicker than ground soil.  Depending on the material of the pot this could be very quick.  Clay retains water much better but are heavy and prone to breaking so a lot of people don't use them (I don't).  When I was growing tomatoes, I had 2 huge pots, with 2 plants in each.  I'd go out first thing in the morning and soak them really well and again when I got home from work.  

Also, watering in the mornings is recommended for disease control.  Watering at night holds moisture on the leaves and fruit, which won't evaporate as rapidly as under sunlight.  This can cause such things as powdery mildew, blossom rot and others.

Try changing the watering schedule if at all possible.  This goes for all types of plants including flowers (roses in particular dislike being watered at night).  See if that helps.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Watering should be done in the mornings.  When it' done at night, the plants spend the entire next day baking in the sun, getting stressed.  Also, yes if in pots you may have to water them 2x a day, regardless of pot size.  The containers will retain heat, and dry out much quicker than ground soil.  Depending on the material of the pot this could be very quick.  Clay retains water much better but are heavy and prone to breaking so a lot of people don't use them (I don't).  When I was growing tomatoes, I had 2 huge pots, with 2 plants in each.  I'd go out first thing in the morning and soak them really well and again when I got home from work.  

Also, watering in the mornings is recommended for disease control.  Watering at night holds moisture on the leaves and fruit, which won't evaporate as rapidly as under sunlight.  This can cause such things as powdery mildew, blossom rot and others.

Try changing the watering schedule if at all possible.  This goes for all types of plants including flowers (roses in particular dislike being watered at night).  See if that helps.
I didn't realize that. My dad always watered at night and that's what I have always done. Plus the fact of getting up before dawn to go to work it's hard to fit that in my schedule. I will try this also because I'm having issues with my tomatoes looking burnt and dry.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I didn't realize that. My dad always watered at night and that's what I have always done. Plus the fact of getting up before dawn to go to work it's hard to fit that in my schedule. I will try this also because I'm having issues with my tomatoes looking burnt and dry.
The other thing I forgot to mention is they should be mulched as well. Mulching helps with water retention, and to protect roots when it becomes blazing hot.  

BTW, if using a soaker hose or drip irrigation watering at night isn't as much of an issue.  Problems typically arise from overhead water where leaves and fruit get wet and do not have enough to for the moisture to "burn off" in the sun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had some nice soaker hoses (well, until I ran through them with the riding mower). They worked very well and all we had to do was connect our water hose to a soaker hose and turn the water on at the back of the house. We had two soaker hoses around the corn and squash and another two around tomatoes and peppers. And you don't have to buy soaker hose. Most people have some leaky hoses laying around. Just poke holes through them and you've got great soakers.

We are trying to avoid watering because our county is in a drought situation. Sometimes it can't be helped, but we don't water anymore than we absolutely have to.

By the way, newspapers are great to put down in between your rows of veggies. The newspaper really help to cut down on the the weeds. We are also working on planning another flower bed, trying to figure out where we want to put it. This fall, we'll plan it on the ground and then will lay down thick layers of newspaper and weigh the paper down with rock. We'll keep it that way over the winter. By spring, the weeds and grass should (SHOULD!) be pretty much dead by that point and we can work our compost into the area. And then plant.

We are also using some newspaper in our composting barrel. I'm saving the newspapers from our department and my sister is saving her newspaper for us.