The Exercise Motivation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
walking to the meat shop today but before we do,we are going to walk around the neighborhood for awhile. Just a little farther today than normal.

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I drink about 2 cups of coffee a day and some days I drink 1-2 energy drinks . I also drink alot of ice tea Not too much soda anymore.
Then you might be able to handle a diet supplement. I would still look up any other ingredients you don't recognize and research it some more.

I would be running around like a crazy person on all that caffeine, but like I said I am sensitive to it. lol. Even if I have one cup of coffee in the morning I will not be able to sleep at all. I buy decaffeinated green tea because I love that taste.

Just start with a low dose if you do try it. It won't cause weight loss on its own, but some of my friends do use an energy supplement before workouts.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone answer this please? If I work out like mad and I finally achieve a strong and toned body do I have to always work out like mad to keep it? Or is it like weight loss? Once you reach your goal then you can back off a little and maintain it?
My understanding is that while you may not have to exercise for weight loss (negative calorie balance), you would have to do some degree of maintenance. Considering that we lose muscle as we age, it would make sense that we would need to challenge our muscles but not go for broke like like we would for weight loss.

My gosh my legs are sore from yesterday! Had a long day with orientation so I'm relaxing at the moment.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
OK, Peaches, count me in! Just finished 30 minutes on the Bowflex. I did an assortment of exercises: upper arms, forearms, calves, upper chest and crunches. And then I came upstairs and did some crunches on my mat. I probably won't be real sore tomorrow morning, but I'm sure that by Wednesday, I'll be feeling muscles that I've forgotten that I ever had. 

I had always wanted to try wrist weights....maybe I'll check out Target this weekend! Thanks, Karen!

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome on the bowflex Winchester! And oh yeah, I definitely overdid the legs. I'm STILL sore after full body warm up, working upper body, then full body stretch. Drat! But, at least I did Chest and Back with the ball AND 3 and 5 lb weights! I may have to do the Core Dynamics workout tomorrow instead of Ultimate Ball...a certain cat that will go unnamed (Mason!!!) has caused a leak in it that caused me to barely finish today's workout. I'd normally blame my 200+ lbs, but there are nail pricks all over it and I've seen him play with it before. Silly cat!

Great find Abbysmom! I'm hoping to find another exercise ball tomorrow at Target.

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome on the bowflex Winchester! And oh yeah, I definitely overdid the legs. I'm STILL sore after full body warm up, working upper body, then full body stretch. Drat! But, at least I did Chest and Back with the ball AND 3 and 5 lb weights! I may have to do the Core Dynamics workout tomorrow instead of Ultimate Ball...a certain cat that will go unnamed (Mason!!!) has caused a leak in it that caused me to barely finish today's workout. I'd normally blame my 200+ lbs, but there are nail pricks all over it and I've seen him play with it before. Silly cat!

Great find Abbysmom! I'm hoping to find another exercise ball tomorrow at Target.
I have seen the balls at Walmart for 10.00 but that is in Ohio.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll check it out!

How's the increase in walking treating you?

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info peaches. I just did yoga, plan to work on my tummy later. We are all doing top jobs. Yay for everyone!! Keep up the good work.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Great job everybody!!!

2.25 treadmill miles this morning

3.00 miles over lunch

Last edited:

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright I am going to the gym, now that I am mentally awake. I need to work my core today, which is my least favorite routine. It is of course the area that needs the most toning. lol. At least once I am at the gym I feel like I really have to push it hard with so many people around. Peer pressure, the adult years 
. So wish me well. 

Mani we can't wait for you to get back on that bike tomorrow :) GL

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Target yesterday and bought these wrist weights for when I'm walking:

http://www.target.com/p/reebok-thum...2732682#prodSlot=large_1_1&term=Wrist+weights

I couldn't wait to try them out today. We've had rain, torrential rain since 4am. :rolleyes: Looks like tomorrow will be the first outing with them.
I JUST bought those exact same wrist weights too!!! :bigthumb: I met a woman on my walk last week who had them and asked where she got them. I love these weights and think the design is really great. She looks so funny when she walks because she throws her arms way forward and then back. Says it works her shoulders on the forward swing and the triceps on the back swing. Funny looking or not - if it works I may give it a try too. :lol3:

Yesterday's workout: 5 mile bike ride then Larry and I took a 3 mile walk in the evening. :walk:

Today: 10 mile bike ride! I actually do some errands on the way too. The weather is good and I am going to take advantage of the cooler temps. ONce summer hits - the biking may have to be early morning.

Mani - hope you are doing better and soon on your bike. I, too, prefer cycling!!

GREAT WORK, everyone!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright everyone. Today I did cardio 45 minutes on the elliptical, around 6 miles, even though I never trust the mileage on the machines and my core routine. I only use machines for my core and various floor work. No free weights today except for a kettle ball 15 lbs. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Way to go everyone! :clap::clap:

Peaches, are you still smoke-free?

Lauren, that's so funny that you just ought the same ones! :lol3:

Well I walked a little under 4 miles this morning with the wrist weights. I liked them. I probably should have bought the 2 pound ones, but I'll use these for a bit and then upgrade. :).

I'm going to try to add a tiny bit onto my walk to make it four miles. I'm slooooowly increasing because I don't want to shock my knee. It hasn't been doing too badly.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is going to be a rest day. My chest and back are mildly sore from yesterday, but that's not the problem. My legs are still killing me from the workout 2 days ago. I'm gonna slather my legs in icy hot then put on sweatpants. No joke, I can still barely get in or out of a chair. And that's while on OTC pain meds!

I've snuck a few smokes here and there when having a drink with friends, but nothing like before. Since I started the externship Monday I haven't had the urge. I'm just plugging along...the more I tell myself that I can't have it, the crazier I get about wanting it.

Edited to add: can't find the icy hot. Drat.

Edited again: I found the icy hot! I was so happy that I almost cried.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I walked a little under 4 miles this morning with the wrist weights. I liked them. I probably should have bought the 2 pound ones, but I'll use these for a bit and then upgrade. :).

I'm going to try to add a tiny bit onto my walk to make it four miles. I'm slooooowly increasing because I don't want to shock my knee. It hasn't been doing too badly.
I love those weight bands and think they make a real difference. I wear 1 pound ones on each leg when I cycle, and occasionally wear them in a backpack on my walk.

I've snuck a few smokes here and there when having a drink with friends, but nothing like before. Since I started the externship Monday I haven't had the urge. I'm just plugging along...the more I tell myself that I can't have it, the crazier I get about wanting it.
Good on you for getting this far. Cutting down is a great first step I would imagine (I've never smoked) so don't beat yourself up about having a few, as long as you're having less and less then you'll get there in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.