The Exercise Motivation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will look for one. OMG ! My legs are hurting all of a sudden so I may skip my walk tomorrow. We will see.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The weather here has been horrible!  Cold and pouring rain for 2 weeks. Today it's still cold, but at least it's sunny outside.  Certainly not shorts and no coat weather yet.  The cold damp has been causing my hip too hurt so bad. It's hard to walk.  I haven't been doing the stairs, but I have been walking, though I had to cut the amount in half.

Next week I'm signing up at the YWCA so I can use the treadmill and do Aqua Fit classes.  I bought a bathing suit when I went to Grand Forks a couple weeks ago in anticipation of registering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
How do you get motivated in the morning to do excerises?
I know that if I don't get out there first then then as the day goes along it will be less likely to do it. I'll get caught up in something else or start making excuses on why I can't walk.

I walked a little over 3-3/4 miles both yesterday and today.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't work out first thing in the morning. Usually I wait until afternoon. It just hurts too much to do it in the morning for me (RA). What motivates me to exercise despite the discomfort is that I want to lose this weight and feel better. 65 lbs ago I felt great! I want that again.

Today I got the Legs workout video done, and my gosh was it tough! I increased the weight to 5 lbs and I am squatted out! We'll see if that was a mistake tomorrow!

Last edited:

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to participate. I've always worked out but I want to get more defined. I've been hitting the gym harder with my SO gone. This morning I did my 45 minutes of cardio on the elliptical and free weights for my arms chest and back. I'm doing 25 lbs for everything except for curls and military press which I can only handle 10 and 15 lbs for respectively. I am doing 5 sets of 10 reps with no more than 60 seconds between sets.
No weight to lose but lots of toning and definition to work towards. Putting on muscle is really hard for me.

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luvmy4 gaining muscle is hard for me also. I found protein shakes help me. They give me energy too.
Thanks I am currently using a pea protein shake as soon as I get back from the gym. I don't eat dairy and I know most will say whey is better but the pea shake does help some. I try to drink the shake while I find something to eat. Lol. Working out makes me so hungry! Haha. I do usually go to the gym on an empty stomach in the morning. I've learned if its not done shortly after waking it doesn't get done.

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Green tea is safe but what other ingredients are in those pills? My guess is mostly caffeine as is the case with most diet pills. It would depend if you are caffeine sensitive or not. I am and all stuff makes me dizzy and shake.
Green tea itself is full of antioxidants and is said to boost metabolism. I just drink it, it tastes good iced or hot.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Well, after a pinched nerve and walking on crutches (caused by adhesions.. it happens from time to time and is really debilitating.. I just have to find the posture that will zap it back in and that can take up to 10 days), and then a really horrible virus (day four of antibiotics) I'm looking for some inspiration to get back on track.

My exercise of choice is cycling.  Still not up to it, but plan to start riding again on Wednesday afternoon.

You may all hound me relentlessly

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed with luvmy4. The effective ingredient may be Guarana extract, which is usually caffeine. Who knows what else!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after a pinched nerve and walking on crutches (caused by adhesions.. it happens from time to time and is really debilitating.. I just have to find the posture that will zap it back in and that can take up to 10 days), and then a really horrible virus (day four of antibiotics) I'm looking for some inspiration to get back on track.
I've been fighting a cold too mani. Just when I think I'm better it comes back worse! Keep thinking of wed. Don't o too hard. Hope your foot gets better soon. I'll send some good vibes up north to you.

My exercise of choice is cycling.  Still not up to it, but plan to start riding again on Wednesday afternoon.

You may all hound me relentlessly :D

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh that quote didn't really work. Sorry. Hope it makes sense.
I found it in there... Thank you

My leg's fine now.  Just the drained out feeling of antibiotics that are starting to work.  But I will start very gently.. I've learnt that one!

And look after that cold!  They're breeding them big these days...

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone answer this please? If I work out like mad and I finally achieve a strong and toned body do I have to always work out like mad to keep it? Or is it like weight loss? Once you reach your goal then you can back off a little and maintain it?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Green tea is safe but what other ingredients are in those pills? My guess is mostly caffeine as is the case with most diet pills. It would depend if you are caffeine sensitive or not. I am and all stuff makes me dizzy and shake.
Green tea itself is full of antioxidants and is said to boost metabolism. I just drink it, it tastes good iced or hot.
I drink about 2 cups of coffee a day and some days I drink 1-2 energy drinks . I also drink alot of ice tea Not too much soda anymore.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The weather here has been horrible!  Cold and pouring rain for 2 weeks. Today it's still cold, but at least it's sunny outside.  Certainly not shorts and no coat weather yet.  The cold damp has been causing my hip too hurt so bad. It's hard to walk.  I haven't been doing the stairs, but I have been walking, though I had to cut the amount in half.

Next week I'm signing up at the YWCA so I can use the treadmill and do Aqua Fit classes.  I bought a bathing suit when I went to Grand Forks a couple weeks ago in anticipation of registering.

Good for you for going to the Y!
I just get up and go.....I have found that I have too much going on during the evening and I don't manage to get a walk in at night that often. In the morning, there's no excuse. What could you possibly have planned that is so important you can't take 10-15 minutes for a walk? That's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it. Just get up, get out of bed, get dressed and go. Do not turn the tv on, do not turn the computer on, do not pass GO and collect $200. Just do some exercises and get outside for a short walk.

Somebody mentioned (might have been Mooch) that it takes 3 weeks for something to start becoming a habit. So you force yourself to get up and exercise every morning (or 3-4 times a week for weights) for a period of 3 weeks. After 3 weeks or so, it can become part of your routine. And you do it really without even thinking about it.

I don't know. I just get up in the morning and go downstairs. It's pretty much automatic at this point.

You may all hound me relentlessly
Glad you're starting to feel better.
 Wednesday's the day!!
Can anyone answer this please? If I work out like mad and I finally achieve a strong and toned body do I have to always work out like mad to keep it? Or is it like weight loss? Once you reach your goal then you can back off a little and maintain it?
I don't know. I would think you could slow down a little bit, but I don't know the answer.

Sunday - 3.25 treadmill miles

Monday - 3 treadmill miles and a 3 mile walk during lunch (that last mile was quite a bit warmer than the first two!). I'm taking an earlier lunch break since it's been so warm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.