The Exercise Motivation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
4 miles is great. You must be on that thing all day!
 No, although sometimes it may feel like it! It's really about 65 - 67 minutes. I'd love to get back down to a 15-minute mile, but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Did Tabata Inferno today...really tough cardio.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to walk more. I can't walk outside for too far because my back gets sore and I need to sit down and rest periodically, and I worry about venturing too far from home because I might not be able to make it back.  So what I've been doing is going for walks around the inside of the building I work using a route that I know has benches or chairs where I can stop and take a "back break" if I need to.

I also have a difficult time doing stairs, not only because I'm out of shape, but because I don't have a great deal of mobility in my right ankle due to a severe break and surgery about 20 years ago. So at home I've been going into the stairwell and going up 3 steps and then back down 3 steps. I know it doesn't sound like much, but my legs sure feel it. In a week or so I'll add a couple more steps.

It isn't much, but it's a start.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to walk more. I can't walk outside for too far because my back gets sore and I need to sit down and rest periodically, and I worry about venturing too far from home because I might not be able to make it back.  So what I've been doing is going for walks around the inside of the building I work using a route that I know has benches or chairs where I can stop and take a "back break" if I need to.

I also have a difficult time doing stairs, not only because I'm out of shape, but because I don't have a great deal of mobility in my right ankle due to a severe break and surgery about 20 years ago. So at home I've been going into the stairwell and going up 3 steps and then back down 3 steps. I know it doesn't sound like much, but my legs sure feel it. In a week or so I'll add a couple more steps.

Getting the right shoes made a difference for me. I use Shape Ups for walking and Mizunos for running (when I ran...sigh) and workout videos. Both provide me with the arch support that I need. And thank goodness for ice, ibuprofen, and aspirin. I couldn't get on with my day without it sometimes!

Maybe try some resistance bands while sitting to gain some strength?

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great point peaches08 I recommend going to a podiatrist. They can tell you exactly which shoes to buy or make orthotics for you. I have shoes for running and shoes for working out in. I was having trouble with my knees and I too had broken my leg many years ago. Good shoes are absolutely necessary and change them at least every twelve months. You are worth it!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

It's a start and it's an important start. Keep it up!

Rick told me that he thinks it's time I get another pair of walking shoes myself....it's been a good year (at least) since I got shoes. I wasn't worried about them because last year I didn't walk much at all, other than at the beginning and then I started in again toward the end of the year....I was having some bad leg issues again last summer and bagged walking for awhile. But since I've been doing so well this year, he wants me to get another pair of shoes. I probably have close to 1,000 miles on this pair now between last year and this year so far. My ortho-weenie likes me to change shoes about every 600 miles. I use my old ones then for working outside. And my really old ones for mowing lawn.

3.25 miles on the treadmill this morning.

2 very, very warm (sweaty) miles for my walk at lunch. (I may have to stop walking at lunch for awhile and walk at night; that was just nasty.)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

Every little bit helps!!! :clap:

I think using old sneakers contributed to me hurting my knee. I didn't realize how worn out they were.

Around 3-1/2 miles yesterday and 3 miserable hot and humid miles this morning. I even walked along the water and that didn't even help. :rolleyes:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Workout video Shoulders and Arms today. Today is the first time I've used weights since starting this program; I'm so out of shape that I wanted to get the movements down correctly THEN add weights. Today's workout would have been too easy without weights so I used 3 lb weights.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Smart move, Peaches! You'll know exactly what you're doing!

3.25 miles on the treadmill this morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I went for a 3-3/4 mile walk this morning before it got too warm.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
omg ! It is too hot to walk today maybe in the morning early.
Is it cooler inside? What about using exercise videos? Been a real lifesaver for me!

Did Cardio Challenge video with 3 lb weights. Some stuff I could do 30 seconds. Some stuff only 15-20 seconds. Burpees and such...yikes, only 5 reps. But every workout I've done I'm pouring with sweat and sore. Not overtrained sore, just that I've worked hard. I'm already seeing a little definition! My inner elbows have a dip in them again instead of being outies!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes I could do some videos but I like to do them in the early morning.I haven't done them since Richard Simmons  did his show on TV.and that has been awhile ago.I know I have to get back in the swing of things now. I can get them from the library.My grandson has a wrap  for the stomach and it's working for him I'm going to use it after he is done with it.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marching in place, crunches on the floor, pushups on knees...it all builds up. I could only do 4 pushups on my knees last week. I can now do 8. My form isn't great, but I'm getting better. I'm feeling better too, despite some soreness.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Crunches! I used to love to do crunches! You go, Peaches! You're going to inspire me yet! Keep it up! 

We have an Ab Lounger in the basement that I used to use for crunches, although most of the time I just did them on the bedroom floor on my mat. 

3 miles on the treadmill this morning.

I don't know if it's still on, Gilad used to be on....was it the Discovery Channel or FIT TV? It was the same channel that had Shimmy (belly-dancing). I used to exercise to Gilad when he was on at night.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lazy body and really don't feel like excerising much.We did walk to the post office today and walking again to Family Dollar.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crunches! I used to love to do crunches! You go, Peaches! You're going to inspire me yet! Keep it up! 

We have an Ab Lounger in the basement that I used to use for crunches, although most of the time I just did them on the bedroom floor on my mat. 

3 miles on the treadmill this morning.

I don't know if it's still on, Gilad used to be on....was it the Discovery Channel or FIT TV? It was the same channel that had Shimmy (belly-dancing). I used to exercise to Gilad when he was on at night.
Actually that post was to help dejolane find some things to do inside the house since it's so hot outside, but I'll take a pat on the back anyway since those are exercises I've been doing from the videos! ;)

Today was an unscheduled rest day. Today was supposed to be Legs video, but my legs are pretty sore and warm to the touch. I'm not injured, just sore. If I had done the legs video, I WOULD be injured. I remember how hard that video was!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks peaches08.
You're welcome! As Winchester mentioned, an exercise mat is very helpful when you need to be on the floor. You go to the dollar store a lot; I wonder if you could find some things in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.