The Exercise Motivation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love those weight bands and think they make a real difference. I wear 1 pound ones on each leg when I cycle, and occasionally wear them in a backpack on my walk.
Good on you for getting this far. Cutting down is a great first step I would imagine (I've never smoked) so don't beat yourself up about having a few, as long as you're having less and less then you'll get there in the end.
Great idea on using ankle weights!

And yeah, I'm not beating myself up too much over it. One, I wasn't ready to quit. Two, I wanted to use nicotine replacement and got denied the chance. Three, I disagree with the principle of testing me for it as a condition of employment. Without going into a big rant, I understand not wanting to smell smoky people as a patient. I also have no problem with no smoking on the property. But I think this is a slippery slope that can lead to new problems.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love those weight bands and think they make a real difference. I wear 1 pound ones on each leg when I cycle, and occasionally wear them in a backpack on my walk.
Oooooo - GREAT idea on the ankle weights too! :clap::clap::clap: I will be all weighted down for my next workout!! :soldier: I have two pound ankle weights that I will give a try tomorrow for my next bike ride.

Tonight: Larry and I are just about to go on a power walk with the boys (in their stroller :lol3:) The boys can't keep up so I have a stroller. Wilbur in the top and Henry in the bottom basket. People get such a kick out of seeing the dogs in a baby stroller. Makes them smile. :D :D

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Great idea on using ankle weights!

And yeah, I'm not beating myself up too much over it. One, I wasn't ready to quit. Two, I wanted to use nicotine replacement and got denied the chance. Three, I disagree with the principle of testing me for it as a condition of employment. Without going into a big rant, I understand not wanting to smell smoky people as a patient. I also have no problem with no smoking on the property. But I think this is a slippery slope that can lead to new problems.
I once smoked and  found a yogic breathing practice really useful.. It's called Ujjayi Pranayama and it slows the breath.

It's difficult to explain, but it involves making a gentle h-a-a-a sound with the breath.. It's a slight contraction in the throat that is similar to what you would do to use your breath to fog up a mirror.  But it is smooth and long and not too loud and it's done with the mouth closed (nose breathing) on both inhalation and exhalation.

We use it for all sorts of esoteric reasons, but I found it also worked very well when I wanted a smoke. 

I think there are two reasons.. there is a sense of sensation in the throat that we get when smoking that this breathing replicates (but in a good way!).  Also my vet once told me that it slightly compresses the vagus nerve and so slows the heart rate (you'd know a lot more about the viability of that).   I've taken my blood pressure with and without Ujjayi (and done it with my students) and it almost invariably lowers it.

Just thought I'd mention it .

I have the tyres of my bike all pumped..   Thank you all, for keeping up with the reminders.  It really helps.

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Peaches good luck on quitting cigarettes and GL on that nicotine test. I know many friends who have had to pass them. Hospitals at least here cannot and will not test you after the initial testing. Quit for now and then once you pass the test you can go at your own pace.

My friend still dips everyday and just started back up immediately after he was hired. Its a joke to demand the test for hiring but it is probably tied to insurance. Just red tape to get through. 

Tomorrow is an off gym day for me as my day will be to crazy to allow the time for myself. Planning on going Thurs, Fri, Sun and doing some hiking with a friend if the weather behaves on Saturday. 

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a crazy day today. I have my workout gear on but it's just not going to happen. It's my daughters birthday so I'm going to eat cake, enjoy and not beat myself up about it. Tomorrow is a new day. Keep it up everyone!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mani, today is Wednesday! Enjoy that bike ride!!

Tammat, everybody needs a day off every so often. Enjoy your cake!

Peaches, quitting smoking is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done. You do what you can. I know you can do it!

2.25 treadmill miles this morning.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job Mani. Thanks Winchester. The cake was not very nice. Such a shame. Of course I ate it anyway amongst other party goodies;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Shorter walk today, only 3 miles with the wrist weights. Aaron was home for a bit this morning and I walked with him. It started getting late and he had to get back home, so we cut it short.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for wishing me luck and not beating me up! And yeah, I'll get there...I'm already better off than I was. I don't think I have to take another nicotine test, and that deep breathing that Mani mentioned is about all that helped me keep my cool. LOL!

I feel a lot better today, the Icy Hot made a big difference I think. I picked up a new stability ball and a foam roller. Turns out that someone traded balls in the package so it is going back. Sitting at the moment but I will work out tonight doing Core Dynamics.

How are you folks liking the wrist weights?

Last edited:

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only did 20 minutes cardio today but I did sprints. I used free weights and worked out my legs.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
VERY sore today - the last two days I have biked over 20 miles and jogged/walked about 8. I am using the wrist weights and the ankle weights too. I look like a robot when I walk with swinging arms and high knee lifts. It is hilarious. Larry refuses to walk with me if I add in those exaggerations. Really, I can't blame him. ;) Today - no workout - maybe a light walk tonight with Larry and the boys.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Strapped on the wrist weights and headed out this morning. The 1 lb weights are fairly light. I bought the 2 lb weights last it e I was at Target and I think I'll be switching to them soon. I took a few extra turns to add a little more to my walk today. It added more than I thought. :lol3: I ended up walking 4.64 miles.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those weights do make quite a difference. Weight training while you walk!

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am waiting until you all get so crazy with these ankle weights you buy the weighted vests or start stacking them up on your legs. Lol.

My SO has one but its a really heavy one 40lbs so I can't borrow that for my cardio. Haha. I only use that much weight for dead lifts.
How much do these ankle weights cost?
Would it look dorky to wear them at a gym?

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I am waiting until you all get so crazy with these ankle weights you buy the weighted vests or start stacking them up on your legs. Lol.

I'm afraid my exercise regime doesn't really live up to the standard of this thread!

But I shall keep on in my own, not very well organised way..

Good long walk yesterday.  Cycling today....

luvmy4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mani you are still working out so it counts. We are all at different places in reaching our goals :)

When I started working out 3 years ago I could not even run a quarter mile without stopping to catch my breath. Now I can easily run 3 miles without slowing down but it took me a long time to get here.
Just keep setting small goals for yourself.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No workout today, I didn't sleep well last night so I'm gonna stretch a little and pump up a new exercise ball.

And I agree, those additional weights are awesome! I'm no workout queen but I have seen gains in strength and noticing some minor body changes.

Peaches08 does that mean it wasn't the cat that put holes in the ball? Keep strong. You are going great!
Oh yeah, my old ball Mason totally did in. A new ball I bought this week I returned because someone changed out the ball in the package for a different one. Picked up another one tonight and getting some upper body just pumping it up!

Edited to add: Mason is eyeballing the new ball...yikes...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.