People Who Give Their Kids DUMB Names...

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I may have posted this already or multiple times or something I don't remember, but names I am stuck on are Stellan for a boy, Mattea for a girl, I also like Orion. After reading this thread, I am now in love with the name Telaryn and Kaidence.

For simple average names, I love the name Joshua which my little sister is naming her baby. Her next kid is going to be Olivia if she has a girl. That is a pretty name too, not odd but not completely common either.

My name is Jennifer Lynn, totally common first and middle names and I wish I had a more unique name.I don't know of any odd names in my family, well, some of my old relatives who are still in Italy have some very Italian names. But that really isn't odd, just names from a different country. My cousins Grandma is named Genevieve which is a beautiful name. We call her Gen. I had a phase where I spelled my name Gen just so it is a little more unique. I like the name Guinevere too or Gwyn for short, but I don't think I would name my kid that.
I'ce heard of Matteo for a boy. I love that. I've never heard of Mattea before. It's pretty. I really like B'elanna. I loved the name Kaidence ever since I met Kaidence. If I'm still working for his parents when I have my first son I will have to name him Kaiden to make it a little different. But if not I'm ging to name my first boy Kaidence. I love the name. Common names I like are Emily and Emma. I like Alaina too though that isnt to common I dont think it is a unusual name. I dont like any common boy names. I kinda like the name John but wouldnt name a baby that. It just sounds like a man's name not a babies name.

jakkies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooh it has been a while since I last read this thread.

Well as is plain from my ticker we went with Kenneth instead of Kenshin because it combined all the meanings we loved. I think that "that name is stupid" is all in the ears of the beholder lol. For a long time I hated my name (Jakkie) because if pronouced properly for english speaking people it sounds like yucky....
So in my opinion it fits with the whole dumb name thing.

But now I have accepted the fact that it is more common for people to pronounce my name as Jacky (short for Jacqueline) and I can live with that.
But I have realised that no matter what your name is at one point or another in your life you're gonna hate it.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

...I think I used to have another name once, but now it's just, "Mom"...
Pronounced "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooom" with rolling of eye at the end.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, first, I just want to say I think I was just frustrated when I wrote I was going to puke if I met another Emma or Ian. Sorry if that is anyone's name, because it is nice, but it is EXTREMELY common and it just seems like people prefer to pick extremely popular names to conform to what is excepted by society and that is what I meant by this being the most conformist thread I have ever read.

Now, I don't really care what a name means in the dictionary but I care about what I associate a name to and actually I got a different definition of what Trystan means than you typed. I chose my son's name for the single reason of it just being a lovely name and it seems to suit him well.

So if you speak the language that Trystan is derived from, would you happen to have the definitions of the other 2 I put because they came from the same place?

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Just goes to show that your parents can choose to provide you with a name that is neither odd nor difficult to say just for its own sake, and let your personality let people know who you are. If anything, common names allow children, and the adults they become, to be who they are with less burden of a label. That is, you're never "that girl with the weird name" when you're named something like Julie, or Emma for that matter. You are described as who you actually are.
I just have one question, if the actual meaning is so important in picking a name, I don't understand this last bit about letting personality determine how people define the child? What is the difference in choosing a name for a specific meaning or choosing one for uniqueness or for personal meaning? Why should a name, no matter plain or weird, define a person at all? I definitely know that I would never scoff at anyone for their name or treat them differently.I think you'd have to be a pretty narrow minded person to judge someone based on their name.

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

However, this is not true for some people, and alot of the times I think parents name their kids weird things for very selfish reasons. If you name your child anything for any reason other than the child's best interest, you are wrong......two kids can have the same name and for one kid it is a perfect name and for another it is absurd... and once you meet that child's parents you realize why and feel badly for the child.
I think that is a very blanket statement and we are dealing with something that is very subjective and personal. What right is it of anyone else's to say whether the name a parent has given a child is either right or wrong other than the parent(s)??? Who's right is it to say if that name suites a child or not other than the parents who've known a child since birth? Now when I hear of children being mean and judgmental of other children, my first thought is maybe it's just kids being kids, but then most times, you meet the parents and then you say, oh, that's why and then I feel sorry for that child because they are already being taught to be judgmental of others.

Just some little fun facts :

There are 26 letter in the alphabet, and debatedly between 44 and 55 sounds and 500 ways to spell those sounds in the English language.

ie. ghoti = fish

gh makes a ffff sound like in tough
o makes i sound like in women
ti makes the sh sound like in motion

I'm sorry, but it is not in my control if a person cannot read the english language well (although, it doesn't bother me to help the person(s) learn to say it right) and I don't think it's fair to call names stupid based on the fact that you prefer something else. Once again, I apologize for my comments on Emma and Ian...I was just generalizing a little bit to make a point.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think parents who go all out and give a kid a nutty name like Piolt Inspector or Rainbow or Erica are not looking at the whole picture, i mean come on...who names there kid Erica *wink wink*

I've decided when i have kids that there names should kind of flow...I dont wanna name one kid something like Moonshower and the other Ted.
If were gonna go a bit out there lets keep it all flowing.
so we've decided to name out kids
Canaan, Savanna, Shianne and Benjamin
I like biblical names for boys and i like fun names for girls.

I come from a family of Brians Marks, jeffs, Elroys, pats and karens.
blah!
I agree with people who think that if they want someone to look at a kid or person take them seriously, a well given name is important.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also like biblical names. I saw a website once (I was looking for a name for my turtle
) that had a lot of biblical names, with an additional name that was a more modern spelling (made a lot of them easier to say). Not to say that 'Aetaxerxes' is hard to say or anything.
. But I kind of like them in their original spelling. But I also like some of the easier ones, Elijah, Judah, Rebekah, Korah...they're common, but not too common.

I wouldn't ever name any children Pilot Inspektor or anything...but I hardly ever see a name that I cringe at, or don't like.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marishka

I wouldn't ever name any children Pilot Inspektor or anything...but I hardly ever see a name that I cringe at, or don't like.
i agree, not to many icky names like Booger or Fecal but i work with newborns and every now and than someone comes with something so off the wall...LaMiracle..come on!
no need for the La !

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

I dont like any common boy names. I kinda like the name John but wouldnt name a baby that. It just sounds like a man's name not a babies name.
That's sort of the point of naming well. You're only a baby for a few years and spend the better part of your life as an adult, shouldn't you have an adult name, not a baby's name?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has turned out to be a nasty topic in the lounge
'

Im going to name my kid Susie, so she can come up with weird things like NUTS!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst baby name I have ever heard......Ua'princess...that was the kids first and legal name
....disturbing! I've also gone to school with a Starkisha, and a Vershuka (I always think if Velveta cheese when I think of her name lol).

I also can't stand the names Chucky,Chuck or Dick eithor! Uhh I hate those names (no offense to anyone)

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something and wanted to confirm if its true or not. I beleive that I have heard somewhere that in Germany there is a list of "approved" names for your children and naming your kids something off the list requires some sort of application process. Do any of our German memeber know if this is true?

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ErinandSeamus

That's sort of the point of naming well. You're only a baby for a few years and spend the better part of your life as an adult, shouldn't you have an adult name, not a baby's name?
In theory yes. But names like hmmm Brennan or Garrett are perfectly good baby names as well as adult names. But John I couldnt picture calling my baby John. I picture a big tall man when I think of a John not a tiny wailing baby.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally really like George Formans' naming his 5 sons all "George Foreman" LOL!

I also like Dweezil & Moon Unit. (Bob, this is my dad, Dweezil. Dad, this is Bob.)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hummm...I don't think I will tell Colin that my maternal clock is ticking. I also want to have his children. I have names picked out too! Lol..kinda scarry

I have an entire list of names- first and middle
I like them all! Wow, i'm evil lol

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Hummm...I don't think I will tell Colin that my maternal clock is ticking. I also want to have his children. I have names picked out too! Lol..kinda scarry

I have an entire list of names- first and middle
I like them all! Wow, i'm evil lol
Well I dont even have a very serious boyfriend and I have had my names picked out forever. Way before I met him. His name is John hence why I think of John's as a big tall man not a baby. LOL

loubelia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read in the online newspaper, the births section, where my mom and dad live that this couple named their child Squirrely Jellybean.
Where in the world would they come up with a name like that? Poor kid!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loubelia

I read in the online newspaper, the births section, where my mom and dad live that this couple named their child Squirrely Jellybean.
Where in the world would they come up with a name like that? Poor kid!
Oh good gracious! poor child is right
that's worse than Pilot Inspektor

A lot of people pick more common names to honor relatives like a favorite Aunt or grandmother, just because they pick common names does not make them conformist, that's a ridiculous statement. If I ever have children and I have a girl, her name will be Mary, which is about the most common name in the world, but I will name her that after my grandma, which to me means more than picking a random name that sounds pretty or has an unusual meaning or spelling, even if it is "common"