People Who Give Their Kids DUMB Names...

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most unusual names I`ve ever run into were siblings. 2 brothers named Clayton & Clinton Clophenstien...and their sisters name was Maxine Josephine Clophenstien. Not only a mouthfull....but i`ll bet they had to stay in kindergarten for 3 years just to learn to spell their names!
Linda

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol Funny names.

I used to work at the welfare office and my goodness I saw some doozies.
One was Chiana (pronounced Shy-anna). I thought the mother must have been a fan of the SciFi show "FarScape"...there was a character named Chiana (pronounced Chi-ana). The mom took my head off when I pronounced it like the character's name.
Another was "Trinity", a little girl born shortly after "The Matrix" came out.
And of course the women who thought they were giving their babies ethnic names (lest you think I'm being racist, MOST of these women were white and had white babies), but really just butchered the names, spellings, and pronunciations. Some of the names were really pretty, but the mothers totally over-did them.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caprice

My sister has a common name but spelled a little different "Allyson"
My pat peeve is when people spell my name wrong! And Allison is one that people get really creative with...I've seen Alison, Alyson, Allyson, Allisen, Alysan, Alysen, etc.

And you know what?

It's spelled A-L-L-I-S-O-N.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going through my family tree and found some weird names, and had to add to this!

There's Viney and Leafy Moses, who are sisters-in-law. There's also Odd, Knut, Guro and Hans, Torger, Bevan, Loowies, Venna, Ferran Jaime Cecile, and two of my favourites: Betty Trout and Bersvein Bersveinstugun.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, your family had some interesting names!

My name is completely boring. Not even spelt funny (Julie, and a common middle name, and a common last name that's also a common first name... nobody has ever had a problem pronouncing me!) I hate it when people ask me how to spell it, as a result... Uh... j u l i e ? How would you think?

Anyway, my parents almost named me Carlotta. No idea why. I'm very glad they didn't.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I was going through my family tree and found some weird names, and had to add to this!

There's Viney and Leafy Moses, who are sisters-in-law. There's also Odd, Knut, Guro and Hans, Torger, Bevan, Loowies, Venna, Ferran Jaime Cecile, and two of my favourites: Betty Trout and Bersvein Bersveinstugun.
I'm really glad you revived this thread. I have to admit I did not read the whole thing, but in case it wasn't mentioned: Jason Lee (the star of My Name is Earl) named his child Pilot Inspector.

People kid me about my girls' names: Annabelle Leigh and Madeleine Camille. They say they will never learn to spell them, etc. I personally think they are beautiful and are both named after E.A. Poe characters with some spelling changes. Annabelle might be a bit upset when she reads "Anabel Lee" for the first time.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I was born, my mom wanted to name me either Danica or Stormy. Now, my last name is Cloud. So I would have been Stormy Cloud, but my dad said NO WAY! So now it's Jade Cloud, which gets a lot of "WOw, what a cool name!" comments.

My brother, on the other hand, convinced his wife that naming their daughter Stormy was a great idea. In fact, they gave her her mother's middle name of Dawn. So, her name is Stormy Dawn Cloud. The kicker? Her mother's first name is Misty...so her name is Misty Dawn Cloud...and she married into that name!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone I know just named their child "Canon Velum". What is that??? I'm sure people will get used to it, but I imagine he'll cop it at school!

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like unique names. And weird ones. And oddly spelled ones. Who knows why. Maybe because my name is just Kelly.

The only time I've ever given it a second thought was when my admissions rep when I applied for school said, "So, Kelly, you spell that K-e-l-l-y?" And I said, "Yep". And thought, I don't think anyone has ever really asked me that. But then he said, "My wife's name is Kellee...so I just had to ask."
I will never think anything of it when people ask to spell it ever again

ETA: This reminded me, have you ever known someone who has a nickname, or another name they go by, and you have no idea why? My grandfathers name was Finley Cecil, and they all called him Billie (spelled just like that). So what did he name his son? Finley Cecil...and everyone called him Billy (spelled just like that).

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents are a little bit unusual in the naming department. My name is Rosemary (not that strange) but my brothers name is Latigo! It is a leather strap on a saddle used to tighten the cinch around a horse. I guess he was also a comic strip character. Latigo was supposed to be named Shane, but alot of the babies in the hospital had that name. Well, my Dad said "you just think about it, I have to go pick up a latigo for my saddle." When he got back to the hospital, Mom had named him Latigo!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have to say this and no offense to anyone, but this is the most conformist thread I've ever read in my entire life.

It's like people who have the slightest bit of imagination get comdemned for thinking outside the box.

I love all of the weird or unique names mentioned in this thread (and yes, I read the whole thread). I love TigerLily, River, Stormy. A lot of names mentioned may seem weird but a lot have ethnic roots, which I'm sure no one cared to look up before they decided they were "stupid".

Oh and I have to say, I LOVE the name Justice!!!!

If I see another Emma or Ian I'm going to puke! These names are soooooo boooorrrriiinnnnngggg!

I wanted something no one else had and I wanted it to mean something to me and my husband and to HECK with what anyone else thinks. If you don't like it just be glad it isn't your name and move on. It's no wonder kids tease other kids or are judgemental...they have to learn it from somewhere IMO.

My son's name is Telaryn (Tahl-aaron) Kiel (Kyle) Zackary (Zachary) Nic****-Gra*** and he is 1 of 2 in Canada. I know the other one personally (except his is spelled Taleryn) and that's how I found out about the name. It's ancient Gaelic.

I might be pregnant right now, so I'm looking into T names. The ones I like so far are celtic. They are Tynan, Trystin or Trystan, and Trynt.

Anyways, that's my rant LOL.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Ok, I have to say this and no offense to anyone, but this is the most conformist thread I've ever read in my entire life.

It's like poeple who have the slightest bit of imagination get comdemded for thinking outside the box.

I love all of the weird or unique names mentioned in this thread (and yes, I read the whole thread). I love TigerLily, River, Stormy. A lot of names mentioned may seem weird but a lot have ethnic roots, which I'm sure no one cared to look up before they decided they were "stupid".

Oh and I have to say, I LOVE the name Justice!!!!

If I see another Emma or Ian I'm going to puke! These names are soooooo boooorrrriiinnnnngggg!

I wanted something no one else had and I wanted it to mean something to me and my husband and to HECK with what anyone else thinks. If you don't like it just be glad it isn't your name and move on. It's no wonder kids tease other kids or are judgemental...they have to learn it from somewhere IMO.

My son's name is Telaryn (Tahl-arron) Kiel (Kyle) Zackary (Zachary) Nic****-Gra*** and he is 1 of 2 in Canada. I know the other one personally (except his is spelled Taleryn) and that's how I found out about the name. It's ancient Gaelic.

I might be pregnant right now, so I'm looking into T names. The ones I like so far are celtic. They are Tynan, Trystin or Trystan, and Trynt.

Anyways, that's my rant LOL.
Just because you like strange names, doesn't mean everyone else has to
I like my nice "plain" name, and my hubby likes his "plain" name, so we'll stick to naming our kids plain names!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not saying people should like them, but be respectful of them that's all!

I was just voicing some frustration from reading this thread is all. I didn't even respond to some of the stuff in here which really offended me.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

Hear any funny ones lately? Know anyone who's given their child a weird name? Do share...
I have a firned who named her daughter Jzardenay Jzonquil. Lovely.
But she also has a Larisha Victoria Rose and a Bethanni Leanne. So she only had one crazy name. One of my nieces was almost named Nahara but last minute they changed it to Emily. LOL I have a niece named Emerald and one named Raven. I have a friend with 2 sons named Diante (I love the name) and Bano (hate it). The little boy I am a nanny for name is Kaidence Reid. His dad's name is Scoot which is really wierd to me. LOL When I have kids most likely they will have more unusual names. I hate hearing the same names over and over. I love the name Zuri! I named my rat Manasseh because I loved the name but knew no guy would let me name his kid that. LOL

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

LOL! Just the other day at work a patient came in with his little tiny daughter, who was very cute. My boss asked what her name was, and the Dad said, `Belana' - which I didn't particularly like but didn't think was that weird. UNTIL...after his consult he came out to the desk and I said, `Belana, that's an interesting name, where's it from?'. He answered `Star Trek...I'm not kidding' (obviously that last part was in response to the look of blank incomprehension that must have been on my face). He then went on to say, `Yes, that's why it's spelt with an apostrophe - `B-apostrophe-E-L-A-N-N-A' - exactly like the character on Star Trek. B'elanna. Oh my. I was too incredulous to say anything but kind of smile weakly and change the subject. And as if the poor child isn't going to have enough problems with the spelling of that for the rest of her life, her last name is V##########. Some people really just don't think, do they? My bf changed his name by deed poll to Max last year, and I can see little B'elanna doing the same one day!!
I love the name B'elanna.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

I love the name B'elanna.
That is pretty! It's B'elanna Torres in the series. She's half Klingon, I think!

My daughter Nicole is named after Nichelle Nichols who played Uhura in the original series.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pandybear

my best friend recently called her daughter crystal, i nearly died when she told me, why couldn't she have called the poor girl rebecca or something
That is a very common name. Lately I have seen that name in a lot of TV shows. Unfortunately all of them were crime victims and I often wonder why TV writers often associate the name Crystal with crime victims. Maybe it just sounds catchy or something.

It could be worse. It could be Krystal, then it would really sound ghetto.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That is pretty! It's B'elanna Torres in the series. She's half Klingon, I think!

My daughter Nicole is named after Nichelle Nichols who played Uhura in the original series.
Yep she was half Klingon. My parents always said I acted like her.
But I remember loving the name then. I loved that show. LOL I thought Tom (who B'elanna married) was a cutie too. LOL.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

That is a very common name. Lately I have seen that name in a lot of TV shows. Unfortunately all of them were crime victims and I often wonder why TV writers often associate the name Crystal with crime victims. Maybe it just sounds catchy or something.

It could be worse. It could be Krystal, then it would really sound ghetto.
The mom of the kid I'm a nanny to her name is Crystal. I always thought it was a normal name. Ive met/known alot of them. But the Crystal I work for is definatly not Ghetto she square dances. LOL

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is somewhat strange that Americans are naming their kids names that reflect their ethnic background.

I am Chinese and everybody I know who is a first or second generation Chinese changed their Chinese names to common American names so they can get called to interviews and have a better life.

I was going to change my name to Rose (Sheng-Mei means blooming-rose), but everyone constantly tells me how pretty Sheng-Mei is, so I never changed my name.

Looking back, it is so strange that I was the only one I know who kept using a traditional name after geting the citizenship papers......I still got married to my handsome white candy.....It is quite a contradition how I preserved my original name but ended up marrying a white guy. I figure that is not so important right now........