People Who Give Their Kids DUMB Names...

beccory

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Ok, I have to say this and no offense to anyone, but this is the most conformist thread I've ever read in my entire life.

It's like people who have the slightest bit of imagination get comdemned for thinking outside the box.

I love all of the weird or unique names mentioned in this thread (and yes, I read the whole thread). I love TigerLily, River, Stormy. A lot of names mentioned may seem weird but a lot have ethnic roots, which I'm sure no one cared to look up before they decided they were "stupid".

Oh and I have to say, I LOVE the name Justice!!!!

If I see another Emma or Ian I'm going to puke! These names are soooooo boooorrrriiinnnnngggg!

I wanted something no one else had and I wanted it to mean something to me and my husband and to HECK with what anyone else thinks. If you don't like it just be glad it isn't your name and move on. It's no wonder kids tease other kids or are judgemental...they have to learn it from somewhere IMO.

My son's name is Telaryn (Tahl-aaron) Kiel (Kyle) Zackary (Zachary) Nic****-Gra*** and he is 1 of 2 in Canada. I know the other one personally (except his is spelled Taleryn) and that's how I found out about the name. It's ancient Gaelic.

I might be pregnant right now, so I'm looking into T names. The ones I like so far are celtic. They are Tynan, Trystin or Trystan, and Trynt.

Anyways, that's my rant LOL.
I'm afraid I have to agree. My name is Rebecca and I cannot STAND it. On like the second page someone said someone had named their daughter Crystal but this person thought they should've called her Rebecca or something... I like the name Crystal WAYYYY better than my boring stupid name. I go by Becca or Bex, even though someone once told me calling myself "Bex" is pretentious (that jerk.). So, while I totally agree that some of the names in this thread are too weird or dumb (like Apple. I don't like that name. Or Fifi whatever. bleah.) I much prefer "interesting" and "creative" names to things like Rebecca. I know too many people who hate their common names, mostly for the fact that they are common.

However I do know some funny names.... Crystal Chandelier (yes I actually know this person), Sandy Beach, Candy Hart (both of these people work at my college)... etc. etc. IMO the awful names are the ones that are too easy to make fun of. Children can be horribly mean.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly when we named our daughter Bella.. We were looking at the other names,, but my husband said that all the names rhymed with teasing names. So we stayed away from other names,, just because kids are soo cruel, sometimes...

Anyways,, we like Bella and it seems to fit her... If I have another child,, i've heard some really good names I like and their unusual.. My husband and i have some very boring names,, common and yes boring.. I can't stand my name (probably from years of hearing it all the time) and I know Steven doesn't like his either.. But I guess you just live with it,, since it's your forever...

Heather

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, The name Bella and Carina, in english it really sounds pretty adn doesnt have a meaning, unless you went to italy people would think youre crazy for naming your kid that.

I really like my name when im not in Italy, pretty much every 4th girl is named Francesca and its soo annoying!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'd like an opinion on this name. Coeli (pronounced ChaeLee), it's the Latin word for sky, and if I ever had a daughter (VERY highly unlikely) I was going to name her that.

I pray that it doesn't fall under the stupid name category.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It only does if you want it to
There's always going to be someone who doeesn't like the name you choose, whether it's a "plain" name or an "interesting" (
) name.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Okay, I'd like an opinion on this name. Coeli (pronounced ChaeLee), it's the Latin word for sky, and if I ever had a daughter (VERY highly unlikely) I was going to name her that.

I pray that it doesn't fall under the stupid name category.
I would say that it sounds beautiful, but might be a challenge to spell. Maybe a slightly different spelling that's a little more phonetic? But that's up to you, I think its beautiful. I fall in that category of loving unusual names, but I would never give any kids I have one that would be so easy to make fun of as Apple...I knew a Rusty Nail once...Never fear, future kids if you exist, Mom won't do that to you.
But I have a penchant for Celtic names, they just sound so unique to me!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Ok, I have to say this and no offense to anyone, but this is the most conformist thread I've ever read in my entire life.

It's like people who have the slightest bit of imagination get comdemned for thinking outside the box.

I love all of the weird or unique names mentioned in this thread (and yes, I read the whole thread). I love TigerLily, River, Stormy. A lot of names mentioned may seem weird but a lot have ethnic roots, which I'm sure no one cared to look up before they decided they were "stupid".

If I see another Emma or Ian I'm going to puke! These names are soooooo boooorrrriiinnnnngggg!

I might be pregnant right now, so I'm looking into T names. The ones I like so far are celtic. They are Tynan, Trystin or Trystan, and Trynt.
Okay I only qouted part of your original quotes... but I find it REALLY ODD that someone who is condemning everyone else for disliking odd names saying they're gonna "puke" if they meet another child with a "conformist name". I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. If we aren't supposed to be judgemental about what other people name their kids, then we're not.

Otherwise, if you can be sooooooo judgemental about people naming their kids with "conformist" names, then everyone else can be judgemental about names that are purposefully difficult to pronounce.

As for TRYSTAN did you look up what that means? Why on earth would you want to name your kid "sad," seeing as how that's what it means if you would just look it up, as you were accusing everyone else of not doing?

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

As for TRYSTAN did you look up what that means? Why on earth would you want to name your kid "sad," seeing as how that's what it means if you would just look it up, as you were accusing everyone else of not doing?
If most parents are like me, which I would assume most are, you spend hours poring over baby name books, searching the internet, etc. for the meanings of your children's possible names. From the day I found out I was pregnant with both of my girls, we had the "name white board" and listed possibilities along with their meanings. With my girls, we actually altered the spelling of Madeleine's name because of various meanings.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just like to add... I know what Trystan means because I happen to speak the language its root comes from. But I agree with Annasmom, most parents know exactly what their kids name means. Mine sure did.

I happen to have a "conformist" name, but my parents and me are not exactly conformists. Well, not at all, actually. Just goes to show that your parents can choose to provide you with a name that is neither odd nor difficult to say just for its own sake, and let your personality let people know who you are. If anything, common names allow children, and the adults they become, to be who they are with less burden of a label. That is, you're never "that girl with the weird name" when you're named something like Julie, or Emma for that matter. You are described as who you actually are.

That said, I don't really think anything of it when I meet someone with a weird name, a fact the person with the "odd" name usually seems a little take aback by. I know a considerable amount about languages and phonetics, and don't typically find a name difficult to pronounce if it is a common name in the parent's language or culture. I do have a very hard time with names that are just weird for weirdness' sake, though.

However, this is not true for some people, and alot of the times I think parents name their kids wierd things for very selfish reasons. If you name your child anything for any reason other than the child's best interest, you are wrong. The main reason I can think of is purposefully trying to name your kid something weird. It is just plain cruel. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference, as two kids can have the same name and for one kid it is a perfect name and for another it is absurd... and once you meet that child's parents you realize why and feel badly for the child.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My name's not that stupid but sometimes it's the "what-you're-named-after" that's stupider. I was named after Lindsay Wagner - the bionic woman, who as i saw in a commercial recently, was selling makeup or something like that. It's not THAT bad, but it is embarrasing if 1). the person I tell that to has NO idea who Lindsay Wagner is. or 2). they start laughing crazily and then everytime i show up they call me "the bionic woman."

But when i was 12 i decided that the spelling of my name was too boring anyway so i "unofficially" changed it to Lyndsie. and now well, still been too lazy to change it officially.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the only problem with that is that the kid may have a hard time spelling it as a youngster, and nobody would ever get the pronunciation right on the first try. (Ko-elly, Ko-ly, See-o-li) It may be hard/frustrating for her.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

My name's not that stupid but sometimes it's the "what-you're-named-after" that's stupider. I was named after Lindsay Wagner - the bionic woman, who as i saw in a commercial recently, was selling makeup or something like that. It's not THAT bad, but it is embarrasing if 1). the person I tell that to has NO idea who Lindsay Wagner is. or 2). they start laughing crazily and then everytime i show up they call me "the bionic woman."

But when i was 12 i decided that the spelling of my name was too boring anyway so i "unofficially" changed it to Lyndsie. and now well, still been too lazy to change it officially.
I was named after my Great Great Grandfather. His name was Ambrose. I'm just glad I wasnt a boy. If I had been I would have been stuck with Ambrose instead of Amber. I could care less for my name but I'm glad its not Ambrose!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

I was named after my Great Great Grandfather. His name was Ambrose. I'm just glad I wasnt a boy. If I had been I would have been stuck with Ambrose instead of Amber. I could care less for my name but I'm glad its not Ambrose!
...I think I used to have another name once, but now it's just, "Mom"...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like "conformist" names, sometimes they're just easier to say/remember. Like my brother for example, his name is John.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents named most of us normal names. Katy, Bethany, Amber, Sarah, Zack. But my oldest brother is Danko named after some guy on an old cop show or something like that and Sissy (Sissy Anne)

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was going to name my kids heyu but the wife said that would confuse the cat. since that is the cats name

SO i suggeted heyu2 , for some reason that seemed to upset her.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i was going to name my kids heyu but the wife said that would confuse the cat. since that is the cats name

SO i suggeted heyu2 , for some reason that seemed to upset her.
She sounds unresonable to me!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have posted this already or multiple times or something I don't remember, but names I am stuck on are Stellan for a boy, Mattea for a girl, I also like Orion. After reading this thread, I am now in love with the name Telaryn and Kaidence.

For simple average names, I love the name Joshua which my little sister is naming her baby. Her next kid is going to be Olivia if she has a girl. That is a pretty name too, not odd but not completely common either.

My name is Jennifer Lynn, totally common first and middle names and I wish I had a more unique name.I don't know of any odd names in my family, well, some of my old relatives who are still in Italy have some very Italian names. But that really isn't odd, just names from a different country. My cousins Grandma is named Genevieve which is a beautiful name. We call her Gen. I had a phase where I spelled my name Gen just so it is a little more unique. I like the name Guinevere too or Gwyn for short, but I don't think I would name my kid that.