People Who Give Their Kids DUMB Names...

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there are some very unusual names around, some sound nice and some just plain stuid. My kids I think have normal names Molly, Brandon and Melissa. There are some very unusual names at their school but each to their own.x

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My son hated his name growing up...Liam.  Now he thinks its cool.

My daughter on the other hand is named Samara and she refuses to answer to anything but Samara except from me.  Heaven forbid if you mispronounce it.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you all got on my favorite pet peeve, names.

Honestly I have no idea why people would want to name any child something you would name a pet. Moon Unit sounds like a dogs name. As does Shasta, I went to school with a girl named Shasta. Everytime I heard her name I thought of cheap pop.

That being said, some of the names listed here seem pretty normal Crystal for example.

Now to get on my favorite soap box. Stop misspelling your childs name. It's not cute after the four millionth time you've had to correct the spelling. Traci, T-r-a-c-i not y not ie not ey. I have more problems with my first name being misspelled than my last name being mispronounced. And yes I've taken it up with my parents as well. Well we thought it would be cute and neat for it to be different.

Also uni-sex names are all good and well until your little angel gets on the school bus the first time and is made fun of for having a boys name or a girls name when they are the opposite. Ie. Your name is Shelby that's a girls name. Kids are cruel enough without the extra amo.

And if your going to call your child Bobbie please be kind enough to actually name him Robert. Bobbie is cute for a three year old not so hot when it's attorney Bobbie Whatever.

Oh and in the interest of my poor Father and Uncle who's initials spell out ODD and my Uncle who's initials spell out DAD. Please don't try to be cute and spell things out with initials.

This hopefully brings me to my end of ranting about names with one possible exception. Please don't name your kid something that will automatically get them made fun of just because of someone that came before them. Ie Hitler, Osama, or Einstein. And if your last name is Stein, maybe Frank Nathan Stein isn't the best choice, it's only going to take so long before every kid in school is going to figure out Frank N Stein.
Misspelling: yeah so my middle name is kind of misspelled. Alyse another spelling of Elise, but still a recognized spelling. Means "noble, exalted; rational"

Uni-sex. Yep thats me again. My first name is Jordan. Went to school with other Jordans both male and female. Was I ever teased about it? No not really, maybe once or twice. I just started going by Jordi in high school, which again people think is misspelled, because I had every class with another Jordan. Most people try to spell it Jordie or Jordy, but my grandfather spelled it with just an i so I kept it that way! Oh well!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an old thread, LOL. I bet new baby names now are a lot weirder than 6 years ago.

I don't mind unusual names or unusual spellings. It's better than everybody having the same old boring names. But I think names should be spelled the way they're pronounced. I hate not being able to figure out how to say someone's name when seeing it written down. Maybe it is the original Gaelic spelling. Fine, but nobody who isn't Gaelic will ever be able to say it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the replies here sound like urban legends though, I've seen those on urban legend site (Lemonjello, Shith-eed, etc...)

I never really liked my name much, but the nice thing about it is there are tons of different ways to shorten Elizabeth to various nicknames. I only use the unshortened version on official things usually. According to my mother, I shortened my name myself as a little kid when we were first learning to write out names in school because "Elizabeth" was too long to write.

It can confuse people though because I used to use one shortened version and now I use another, and when someone knows me by one name and meets someone else who knows me by the other they sometimes don't realize who each other is referring to.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind a revived thread if it is a good topic and new users maybe haven't seen this. Besides, strange names never get old because babies are born every year.

My first name is Hope, and I HATED it growing up. First, the jokes. The favorite taunt was "Hope the dope got caught in a rope". Yeah, not that bad but still not good in second grade. Second reason I hated it was I couldn't find anything in stores with my name on it unless it was Christmas and it was a tree ornament. No key chains, no cups, no glasses, nothing. But I have enough tree ornaments I could have my own "Hope" tree 
 . I like it now but it was hard as a child. Of course, then I got married and my last name is now Hare. I work in customer service and people hear my name and say "is that really your name?" I reply "yes, I'm a Disney character, now how can I help you?"

Now speaking as someone that has to call people with names I can't pronounce, I have no problem with ethnic names (yeah, I feel stupid, but I don't speak Indian or Arabic), I pronounce them the best I can and most people are understanding. I once had a telemarketer from India call me and ask for "Hoppy Hary", so I told him there was no one living here by that name. But if it's just a case of trying to figure out a new way to spell an uncommon name, come on...have some sympathy! Just make it phonetically correct so we can sound it out. 

And for most stupid names I have talked to a Vengeance (yeah, I bet she got a lot of dates in high school), I actually have talked to a Jacuzzi there is actually a Starship (first name) Enterprise (middle name) in the united states. 

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once talked to a guy names Archimedes Plutonium, but that's not what his mama named him. He changed his name as an adult. So probably some of the really weird names are like that (was the poor kid stuck with rabid Trekkies for parents, or was it an adult who changed his/her name? Etc.).

I don't mind ethnic names for people who are genuinely that ethnicity. But when average suburban parents name their kid Aisling and tell you that it's pronounced Ashlynn, that gets sort of old. If you like the name Ashlynn, at least spell it in some way that kinda sorta LOOKS like it might be pronounced Ashlynn.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I don't care if someone wants to give their kid an "ethnic" name just because they like the sound, even if they're not that ethnicity. For example celtic names seem to be getting more popular and I think a lot of them are really pretty.

I have a friend whose middle name is Kal-El but he's not named for Superman, it's a Hebrew name (his parents are Jewish). I'm pretty sure it's spelled differently though, but I'm not sure what the actual spelling is.

A lot of my friends have names that people might think are unusual because their names are Hebrew, but around here they are normal, for example Chana might sound like an unusual name but it's actually really common, I can probably name 10 Chanas I know off the top of my head. Some of the people I know with Hebrew names go by the English version of their names for things like work though, either because people have trouble pronouncing their names or they want to sound more 'mainstream'. A lot of the hebrew names are actually biblical names but people might not recognize them as such since they are usually spelled and/or pronounced differently than they are in the English (for example Yaakov vs Jacob.)

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya, very dumb names.

You have to wonder what some of these parents are thinking, or maybe wonder what they were doped up on at the time.

Like Gwyneth Paltrow  named her kid "Apple" I mean seriously? You named your kid after a fruit, like she won't get made fun of in school.

A friend of mine who is now pregnant, her DH wants to name their son "Eerie Indiana" I'm like wow.

And Toni Braxton, named her kid "Denim"

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A woman my mom worked with kept the "name" the hospital "gave" her daughter: "Female" (pronounced to rhyme with tamale). I kid you not! A guy I went to university with was named Hyacinth, which we didn't find out was his full name till our graduation ceremony, as he always went by "Hy". Hmmm, I wonder why? It supposedly was a perfectly normal Greek name, but the guy was born and raised in the U.S..

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being pregnant with my 2nd I've been hearing sooo much crazy name talk on the baby board I go on.  I really dislike when people try to make a name different by spelling it creatively.  My name is pretty common; but not enough that I was ever able to find it on things when I was a kid.  Especially with my spelling.  All my friends had those little licence plates for their bikes and they were sooo cool...but not me because they didn't have it.  I swore I wouldn't give my kids unusual names (people were forever mispronouncing my name and switching it with my last name...lol).  But then I had my DD and gave her a name that is unusual around here apparently.  Where I am from in NY it's more common.  It's even my cousin's SIL's name.  Baby boy's name here is easy!

A friend of mine who is now pregnant, her DH wants to name their son "Eerie Indiana" I'm like wow.
Thats a new one.  Makes me think of the musical "The Music Man" which is actually one of my favs...but I'm not naming this baby after it in any way shape or form!

A woman my mom worked with kept the "name" the hospital "gave" her daughter: "Female" (pronounced to rhyme with tamale). I kid you not! A guy I went to university with was named Hyacinth, which we didn't find out was his full name till our graduation ceremony, as he always went by "Hy". Hmmm, I wonder why? It supposedly was a perfectly normal Greek name, but the guy was born and raised in the U.S..
Oy.  There is a reason you didnt know his name!  I went to school with a Dejanora (spelled different; I can't remember how it was actually spelled) and people would sing her the song from the mustard commercial...  She went by Tish.  I think that was an abbreviated version of her middle name.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard enough when names translate badly - why saddle your child with a name just about everybody in their home country is going to find strange?

I had a Dutch student whose name was "Gurke", which unfortunately means "cucumber" in German. An English co-worker's last name is the German word for "fart", and for obvious reasons he's on a first-name basis with everybody here.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 I

And I'm a big enough dork that if I could work Skywalker into a name I would.
But I would use it as a middle name, I can't imagine saddling some poor child with that as a first name.

I have a twin brother and my parents THOUGHT about calling us Luke and Leia (I wouldn't have minded since I'm a dork myself and LOVE Star Wars) but they ended up calling us Scott (they wanted my brother to have normal name) and Holly. OR Scolly (for when they called us together) Today my twin is in culinary school it was always his dream to open a resturant and call it by our nickname.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A woman my mom worked with kept the "name" the hospital "gave" her daughter: "Female" (pronounced to rhyme with tamale). I kid you not!

Again I would be skeptical about this one, it's another common urban legend name story...
Example from snopes.com:
A properly folkloric version of the fuh-MALL-ee tale would have it that the parents saw the "name" on the baby's bracelet. Not being able to read well, they sounded it out badly, it fell on their ears prettily, and thus Baby was named. Alternatively, they interpreted what was written on the bracelet as the hospital having already named their child and the matter now being out of their hands.
Being pregnant with my 2nd I've been hearing sooo much crazy name talk on the baby board I go on.  I really dislike when people try to make a name different by spelling it creatively.  My name is pretty common; but not enough that I was ever able to find it on things when I was a kid.  Especially with my spelling.  All my friends had those little licence plates for their bikes and they were sooo cool...but not me because they didn't have it.
I was friends with two sisters when I was a kid, their names were Tania and Tena (tina). I guess Tania isn't that uncommon of a way to spell Tanya but at the time I thought it was odd... Their other sister got the normal spelling of her name though.

My sister was never able to find stuff with her name on it as a kid either. Her name isn't that unusual but I guess the spelling my parents gave her is not common, most things say Carrie and her name is Kerri.

Last edited:

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work for a non-profit community center where one of our services was finding summer jobs for inner city youth. I worked in accounting and did payroll for the kids, and definitely came across some interesting names. The one that always sticks with me is Typhany. Every time I saw it all I could think of was typhoid fever...
It wasn't until I said it aloud to myself that I realized it was... Tiffany.

My brother and SIL just adopted a boy who was given the name (something along the lines of - I can't ever remember) Jehovah Allah Messiah... anyway, three names that basically mean "god". His nickname has been Jah since he was born. Since he was 3 when they adopted him, they re-named him Joshua Anthony H---, so his initials are still Jah (which is what we know him as, who he is), but if he decides he wants a more "traditional" name when he gets older, he has the option.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister was never able to find stuff with her name on it as a kid either. Her name isn't that unusual but I guess the spelling my parents gave her is not common, most things say Carrie and her name is Kerri.
Gift shops never had crap with my name on it either...
And my name was misspelled on my pediatrician's file until I grew up and stopped seeing my pediatrician. To me, seeing my name misspelled is just normal, it doesn't even faze me.

BTW, my name is Bridget, but everyone wants to spell it Bridgette. Why? I have no idea.