People Who Give Their Kids DUMB Names...

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Oh good gracious! poor child is right
that's worse than Pilot Inspektor

A lot of people pick more common names to honor relatives like a favorite Aunt or grandmother, just because they pick common names does not make them conformist, that's a ridiculous statement. If I ever have children and I have a girl, her name will be Mary, which is about the most common name in the world, but I will name her that after my grandma, which to me means more than picking a random name that sounds pretty or has an unusual meaning or spelling, even if it is "common"
Mary is not really that common anymore, but its a beautiful traditional name. Its amazing the shifts in popular names from say 1975 to 1995. Now Brittany's and Kaitlyn's are popular over Mary's and Linda's.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

I was named after my Great Great Grandfather. His name was Ambrose. I'm just glad I wasnt a boy. If I had been I would have been stuck with Ambrose instead of Amber. I could care less for my name but I'm glad its not Ambrose!
LOl hey now, if I have a boy, his name will be vincent ambrose. But that said, I won't be calling him ambrose.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

Mary is not really that common anymore, but its a beautiful traditional name. Its amazing the shifts in popular names from say 1975 to 1995. Now Brittany's and Kaitlyn's are popular over Mary's and Linda's.
True, bit I think worldwide it is probably still the most popular name, or at least a variation there of, like Marie or Maria

I just saw the pig call beneath your siggy... my dad won a pig calling contest at our local city fair years ago... boy was I mortified!!!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I just saw the pig call beneath your siggy... my dad won a pig calling contest at our local city fair years ago... boy was I mortified!!!
Imagine standing in a stadium where 75,000 fans are yelling it. Its not so mortifying then!
I put it on my siggy in support of the Arkansas Razorbacks football team. You're the 2nd to mention it.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

I hate it when people gives their kids names or themselves tattoos (particularly chinese ones) when they have no real idea what the name means, and what they are told means peace or beautiful flower (if they even look that much up) when in fact it could mean idiot or something!
My bf's best friend lives in Taipei and his name is (roughly) lou-yan and his brothers name is lou-han (again, roughly). To avoid confusion, when they lived in England they called themselves Louis and Hank.
I don't think my name is odd, but I've never been anything else
Agreed. I have seen people wearing shirts in Chinese that say "I am stupid"

Makes me laugh everytime.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

That's exactly why I won't buy a shirt with Asian characters or other languages on it if I'm not 100% sure what it means...I wouldn't want to walk around with "stupid white chick" or "dummie" on my shirt when I think it means "peace or flower." Just my luck, someone who could read the language would tell me and laugh.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wll, my hubby and I agreed that our first girl would be named Katherine and our first boy would be called Anthony or Antonio(My hubby is Mexican so we kinda want a latin name for our boys, besides, when they are older the girls will think it's romantic.LOL) My husband's name is Ubaldo and he wanted to name our first son after himslef and I told him that under no condition was I going to make our child suffer with that name. LOL!
Am I wrong?

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not wrong. My husband's name is Ariel (which means Lion of God). He was unfortunately named before the stupid Disney film comes out. I will never name any of our sons Ariel if they are constantly associated with an airy redhead half-woman half-fish thingie.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nana's name was Stella Bella, she was very embarrased of this and gave all of her children as normal names as possible.

My coworker (whose Chinese) says it is common for people to take names after things/objects/phrase/etc and it is unusal to run into people with the same name as you. I think in this regard this type of naming system is very special and has a lot going for it. It is just not accepted in our culture/language.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

You are not wrong. My husband's name is Ariel (which means Lion of God). He was unfortunately named before the stupid Disney film comes out. I will never name any of our sons Ariel if they are constantly associated with an airy redhead half-woman half-fish thingie.
& here i was thinking you were 1/2 of a lesbian couple...

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

LOl hey now, if I have a boy, his name will be vincent ambrose. But that said, I won't be calling him ambrose.
Weelllll as long as you dont call him Ambrose thats ok. LOL I'm just sooo happy I turned out to be a girl. I would have been Ambrose Dow Lee L******

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw some one walking around London wearing a top with arabic writing which made me burst out laughing. No it was not that bad I can barely read Arabic but I could recognise the font it was for a popular brand of soup. I went up to them and asked what they thought there t-shirt said and they replied something like love. I told them that they were walking round advertising chicken noodle soup! At least it didn't say something like "I'm easy!".

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol when i was in school i had a tattoo with some chinese writting put on my upper arm....... why did not god tell me that in a few years i would be living in that part of the world where everyone around me could read it,

i know what is said, errr, lets just say i spent a lot of time in HK with a shirt that covered it

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   I am a Cheyenne, and 30 years ago that wasn't a popular name....Lots of stupid jokes and comments, and to this day 95% of the time misspelled
, even though it is one of our states capitols, which 99% don't realize
.  When I found out that my mother wanted to name me Cheyenne or Dallas (born in Texas), I was grateful for Cheyenne!

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love weird names. And i'm sure when I have children- many people are going to look at me like WHAT WERE YOU THINKING. But I love uniqueness and I love the names in general. It'll be my kid, so I say hey- screw anyone who wants to talk smack. It's not YOUR child. :p

Some of the names I contemplate:

Girls:

Lyra

Echo

Willow

Pippa

Harlow

Nova

Fallon

Orion

Boys:

Avery

Xaviery

Demetri

Talon

Silas

Kieran

Luca

Orion

Archer

Rowan

Totally open to any positive or negative comments! :) I'm a tough cookie I can handle it lol.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw someone named Wednesday a few days ago....at least her parents had the common sense not to name her Monday, that would have really sucked!

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 One's name may sound funny to some but beautiful to others. I find names that are unfamiliar to me quite fascinating. 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At least when you have a "different" name- there's not a ton of them in your class. 

Both of my kids have common names.  There's another girl at church with the same name (same nickname) so when I called out her name to tell her we were leaving- both girls looked over and said "Yeah"?

As an aside- my poor MIL.  My niece is due with her second in June.  Mil just got a facebook account a few months ago.  My niece was on there- and her and her brother were coming up with all kinds of silly names for this child.  LIke "Sirius Albus Dumbledore".  Mil thought that they were all being serious.............

Cheryl