People Who Give Their Kids DUMB Names...

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My name is Alicia, so many people spell or pronounce it wrong. I just answer to anything that sounds remotely like Alicia now. 

The way people pronounce it:

A-leash-a (correct)

A-lish-a

A-lish-e-a

Alison

Al-iss-e-a

Alyssa

The way people spell it:

Alesha (this is how my name is written on the schedule at work, lol)

Alisha

Alishia

Alecia

My sister's both have kids so my nieces and nephews names are; Beatrice Ann (we called her Bezoo for the longest time, lol), Madison Muriel, Zachary Foord (the second name is a family name), Anthany Jason (they wanted a different way of spelling Anthony) and Lilly. Beatrice and Madison both live in Quebec, their father is french. Mike's sister just had a baby and named him Preston. 

Some of our friends have kids, their names are all fairly normal but some aren't really common. There's Nash (boy), Aleena (girl), Annabelle (girl) and Alexander (boy).  

When we were up visiting Mike's parents a few years ago his mom was telling us about a girl that Mike went to high school with having a baby and naming it Ca$h with the $. I can't remember if the baby was a boy or a girl. 

I already have my kid's names picked out if I ever have any, most are family names but some aren't. The ones in red are family names.  

Boys:

August Ethan (August was my great great grandfather, I always remember my mom telling me about him having surgery on the kitchen table)

Edwin George (Edwin was my paternal grandfather and my father's middle name, George was my maternal grandfather)

Otis Harold (Harold is my great great uncle who raised my mother after my grandmother died)

Girls:

Audrey Dianne (Audrey was my maternal grandmother, she passed away when my mom was 2, Dianne was my father's sister who passed away in infancy and one of my middle names)

Lisetta Susan (Lisetta was my great great aunt who raised my mother after my grandmother passed away, Susan is my mother's middle name and one of mine as well)

I had a few more but now I can't remember them, lol. My kids, if I ever have any, will be allowed to choose whatever they want to be called within reason. They can go by their first or middle name, or a variation of them. I don't think any of the names I've chosen are horrible or too out there, but you never know. I think that whenever they enter school there will be far worse names for kids in their classes, lol. 

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my kids names picked out for later on

Nicholas Jackson (Nicholas after Nick- who most of you have heard me talk about) Jackson after my FIL

Rachel Grace - I just like it, and it's pretty.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess what names a person considers "weird" is all relative. I work with a guy who just had a new grandson, and they named him Parker. And he's all like "who names their kid Parker? What a weird name. My poor grandson, he's going to be picked on", etc. Which is funny because I would never think of Parker as a weird name, it sounds perfectly normal to me :dk:.

Last edited:

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister's both have kids so my nieces and nephews names are; Beatrice Ann (we called her Bezoo for the longest time, lol), Madison Muriel, Zachary Foord (the second name is a family name), Anthany Jason (they wanted a different way of spelling Anthony) and Lilly. Beatrice and Madison both live in Quebec, their father is french. Mike's sister just had a baby and named him Preston.
My siblings don't have kids but most of my cousins do. We also have a Lily and two Zachary's, IIRC Lily's full name is Liliana which is actually one of the names I had picked out a long time ago for if I ever had kids. :p  Among my cousins' kids we have a Zach and a Zac, Dane, Liliana and Ian(twins), Evan, Isabella, Anabelle, Amber, Timmy, and Matthew. Most of them probably have middle names but I don't remember them (bad me.)

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess what names a person considers "weird" is all relative. I work with a guy who just had a new grandson, and they named him Parker. And he's all like "who names their kid Parker? What a weird name. My poor grandson, he's going to be picked on", etc. Which is funny because I would never think of Parker as a weird name, it sounds perfectly normal to me

We have a Parker kitty on the forum here :D

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
One thing that interests me, which is off the actual 'naming' topic and just about names themselves: we live in a pretty multicultural society these days and I think it's such a shame that those with unusual (for us) names feel they have to alter them to make it easier.  I have a friend who has a Welsh name: Ceridwyn (pronounded care-id-win), but people call her krid, which I think is awful.  I love her full name.. it is pretty and rolls off the tongue, but she doesn't even introduce herself by her full name anymore because of the reaction. 

And there are many, many more... lovely traditional names in Indian, Israeli, African, Arabic, and so on.  Are our brains so claggy that we can't get our heads around them?  Of course if people prefer the shortened version that's great (Australians are notorious for shortening names).  But I think it honours a person to at least attempt their given name.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My full name is Amelia Katherine, which I now think is fairly pretty but in grade school made me feel like a Victorian princess. :lol3:

And my parents named me that but decided I would go by Katie, from my middle name, but in elementary school on the first day the teacher would of course take roll by first, legal names... so all the kids would hear Amelia and go "Ha! AMELIA BEDELIA!!!" :lol3: It didn't bother me that much though.

It became useful in high school where Katie was an extremely common name, so I just wouldn't correct the teacher when they used Amelia. Or I would tell them my nickname was Lia or something. Or for teachers that already knew me (small town), all the Katies would hold a conference (we were friends) and decide who was Katie 1, Katie 2, Katie 3 or Katie, The Other Katie, No The OTHER Katie, etc. :lol3:

What I REALLY don't get, though, is what my parents named my little sister: Emily. A fine name, but Amelia... Emily... They're almost the same thing. IIRC they're different forms of the exact same name.