Meet Shia my pregnant baby :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! I suggest you keep both black ones so they have each other to play with. My black cat is very laid back. Has been since he was born last spring. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should enter this in the Close up cats contest.  Use the HOME tab to find the thread.  That is just so cute and heart warming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may have to enter it, sadly I don't think I could keep 2 of them, I shouldn't really keep 1, I did say 2 cats was enough haha 

but theres one which is just so laid back, Shia moved away for food and all the kittens went running to her (by running I mean wobbling) while this 1 black kitten just laid there asleep without a care :)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww da baby kitten getting a hug from da mommy kitty! How sweeett!!!!

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure my scales are broken lol, I was worried kittens were suckling and not getting milk from Shia no idea why the thought just crossed my mind and scared me, anyway I only managed to get 1 weighed last night, the black and white one, he was 77g I just weighed him today to make sure they are getting milk, hes now 105g 

that can't be right

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah I'll try and get one asap.

little question, Shia has an obsession with 1 certain kitten, the one she didn't cut the billy cord on, when i move the kittens thats the one she will grab and she'll just leave all the others while she has that one with her, now she walked off for about 10 minutes while all the kittens napped, got herself some dry food, went toilet and scratched around somewhere now ever since she keeps trying to pick up that one kitten, but shes not picking by the scruff shes actually grabbing the head and shes hurting the kitten because it will start crying and she'll stop, she keeps doing it now to the point where she didnt stop and i was worried she was going to hurt it so I took it away for a second, I have no idea why shes doing it, she isn't doing it to any other kitten just this specific one.

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
will add i took it away because she wasn't picking it up she was like chewing on the head it looked like while it was screaming, had me scared

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure what she's doing, but it sounds like more than routine grooming. Do not let her hurt this kitten! It's good you stopped her by taking him away. He's too little for such rough treatment.

Is the kitten doing well otherwise?

Last edited:

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah it seems fine, it naps a bit more than the others but is feeding well, its the one shia constantly has her arms around like shes protecting it, I don't get why shes being extra protective of this one though but also so rough with it, its confusing, shes getting very vocal as well as if upset, I think she may be upset from me changing the sheets in the bed and i did let my boyfriend in my room today as when im away shes going to have to be around him and not me, so wanted to make sure she wouldnt get upset, she growled at him, he sat on the bed and he left, he didnt touch her.

argh i dunno 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she has the feline version of postpartum depression or anxiety or something?  Or maybe since this is her first litter, she still has to learn how to be a good mom?  Is she pretty young herself?  If she's pretty young, maybe she's playing with her kitten. 

I saw a youtube video of a 10 month old kitten playing with his new siblings that were a few weeks old.  He was a bit rough with them at times.  

And I'm a bit confused....is this the same kitty in your profile pic?  

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
shes about 2 years old, if it was depression or anxiety or anything im still unsure to why its aimed at this 1 little kitten though who seems healthy in itself :/

and no the one in my profile pic is Mylo, my other cat

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh Ok!  I understand now.  I hope it's just inexperience on her part in not knowing how to pick up her kitten correctly, but what's causing the fixation on the one little kitten?  I don't know. 
 Do we have a resident cat whisperer here at this site to help figure that one out?  (Or cat psychic I suppose.)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the mom has concerns about this kitten and is trying to figure it out. However, I've asked catwoman707 catwoman707 for her opinion. I'm sure she will weigh in soon. The kitten may need supplementing. It may be why mom never bit his cord. She may sense he has problems. Still, she should not be rough with him. But mom cats sense things.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. I think the mom is maybe worried about him. If he is really sleepy and laid back she might consider that there is something wrong with him as he is different from the others.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And, I don't know if your boyfriend is planning to sleep at your place or not, but he should probably not touch mom or kittens unless there's a problem. He does need to pop in twice a day to feed wet food morning and evening, and leave plenty of dry food and water down at all times, and scoop litter pan. Right now I have concerns about this kitten with mom while you're gone, but let's see what Catwoman thinks. You are gone from Thursday to Sunday, right?

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry it took me so long! Just got home from a marathon board mtg with the Humane Society........

Let me read and will add my thoughts.

Okay, just read from post 200 or so, so I get the scoop.

Here is what I see going on, for reasons unknown/unseen by us, mom feels this baby is not well, or weak, and it puts the kitten is real danger from her.

I have no idea of your situation or if you have any options, but I have to tell you, the first time I saw a mom act this way towards a particular baby, but it looked perfectly fine to me, she ate it.

Yes, completely, baby was gone.

My husband and I were in complete disbelief, but after 1 1/2 days.........well there was evidence in the litter box.

Since then, I am always very leery of this scenario. There is something she is not feeling okay with that particular baby, and her maternal/survival instincts are in high gear right now, instinct tells her this baby is putting her and the others at risk from predators, so she needs to make it go away.

If she is unable to hide it someplace else, or ignore it so it won't survive, if it comes right down to it she might kill it and/or eat it.

I know this is tough to swallow but it's nature playing the role here.

I would pull the baby and hand raise him, at least for now, you can always try putting him back in a few days under complete supervision, but the baby can very well be in big danger being with her.

Isn't this the black one you first mentioned was quieter and laid back? Newborns are not supposed to be laid back.

They should have feisty appetites and snuggle up to mom and each other for warmth and nurturing now.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something more I want to add. 

It does sound like this one baby is weaker, and while mom might think weak enough that it puts her and her others at risk, and she needs to get rid of it, it does not mean that this baby can't be saved.

But try telling her that, she won't hear you! If they get it in their head that something is wrong, it's not going to go away.

Also another cause is stress. That will also make her pick on and abandon or kill the weaker baby too.

I have no idea the location of her and the babes, but be sure she is content with the spot.

As little activity as possible, the first few days she is highly stressed already, every time someone comes around besides you who I'm assuming she knows and trusts, keep anyone else away and allow her complete privacy.

This might or might not be enough to help, but I do think this baby is in trouble, at least as far as she is concerned, it's not safe.

Is there someone experienced you can give the baby to so it will be cared for and live?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks, Catwoman! This is what I feared. She's been trying to kill the kitten when she grabs it by the throat. That, and she's been dragging it around.

You need to get a plan for this baby before you leave town. Otherwise it may not survive your absence. If you were around to continue supervising for the first full 1-2 weeks, he might get past this danger point.

Do you have a friend or family member who can take full-time care of this kitten from Thursday to Sunday? Feed it every 2-3 hours around the clock? Potty it?

Or can you find a rescue organization to care for it for 3-4 days until you're back?

Think about it.