Meet Shia my pregnant baby :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting the food in a different part of the room, maybe near the toys. 

Can you spend more time in the room ignoring them so they get used to you just being there?  You can read out loud to them or just play on your computer, do something non-threatening.  Sit on the floor while you do it if possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well they are in my bedroom so spend a bit of time with them, i usually sit and watch a movie and obviously sleep in here they are learning to climb, much to the upset of Shia they keep hiding under my covers so end up in bed with me a lot.

I tried feeding them with Mylo instead, hes like a big brother to them and is actually willing to share his food with them, they had a sniff but didn't eat, annoying thing is, I organised everything out in my bedroom just right for them now theyre bigger, put tiny kitten litter tray out for them and the black and white one tries to eat some litter!!! -_-

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens almost always try to eat the litter when they are just learning. That's why you must use non clumping litter for the first few weeks. Just part of the learning process.

It sounds like you need to spend some more time forcing them to socialize with you. As others have suggested, sitting on the floor and reading out loud or bringing in fun interactive toys are really important. It becomes an uphill battle if they are not socialized much past six weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens at 6 weeks old are generally weaning well and learning to use the litter box. Something's not right here. You are the boss - not them. They are little and need to be socialized immediately. They should be out playing and climbing all over you, not hiding and fearing you. Get busy in there and get them comfortable with you right away!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the mama cat isn't friendly (kind of sounds like she isn't), you have to spend time with the kittens separate from her. They learn from watching her so if she doesn't want to be near you, they won't either. If they weren't still nursing I'd say to separate them entirely, but that can't happen until they're eating solid food reliably. So for now, can you put her out of the room when you spend time with the babies? If you don't get them tamed by 8 weeks, they'll always be skittish and it'll be really hard to find them good homes.

For litter training, get a bunch of cat food can trays (the cardboard ones) and put them around the room, with a decent amount of non-clumping litter. Using litter is instinctual, you just have to give them a lot of chances to trigger that instinct.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the others, socializing the kittens NOW becomes more and more a hurry.   Im buying Willowys observation, to get quality traing time,  you shall perhaps  have them alone without their mom, whom seems to be a hindrance here.    Interwalls for the traiing time. respective nursing time.

Have her outside if possible.  You can try and engage the friendly resident Mylo more as their grown up positive example and ambassador.

Your difficulty is they arent eating food as yet, so you dont have this powerful tool to work with...  Nor can separate them completely from momma.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have one idea. If they were free living semiferales, with a shy momma, the recipe and advice would be easy. You collect and take them kittens asap as soon you can arrange it.

And foster them inside in your home.  Especielly as you DO have a friendly resident, whom can help to teach them the lore of cat knowledge.

This situation with shy semiferales is one of the few exceptions from the holy "minimum 8+" rule.

This even if you must feed them yourself in the beginning.  By syringe and or bottle.

This idea may perhaps be useful here too.   Ie separate them totally, and go on and feed yourself.  It will be tricky as they are afraid of you and run from you. But if you become soon their food source.   They will have no other choices, than either accept your help, or eat from bowels together with Mylo...

Drastical idea, but what to do??

I do also notice they arent totally panicked from you.  They do seek out your bed in the nights, no?

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well i feed the adult cats downstairs now and then run upstairs and feed the kittens they also have 2 full bowls of biscuits at all times so everyone can share.

last night the black and white one started eating meat but because shia inhales her food she was soon running upstairs and eating all the kittens food, think i might start getting some big cans and feeding that to shia so it takes her a while to finish it while I'm feeding the kittens, the are littering okay now,not amazing but shias been showing them what to do, but cos the tray is so small she kicks all the kitter out of it and on the floor, so they are going to the toilet on the litter but the litter thats been kicked on the floor, i might see if i can find a covered low litter tray or something im not sure yet, or put a big one next to the small one.

shia is very friendly shes sat on my lap right now while kittens are napping, and when i come in to sit with them she sits next to me and gets lots of cuddles, they are improvng the grey and white is the least afraid and friendly, when the black one comes on the bed it likes to attack my feed under the duvet and it was actually licking my hand today and taking cuddles so i think i'm getting there a bit more, I added a bunch of new toys to the bedroom so they probably love me for that now, granted its not doing great for my sleep, the only problem with Shia is I am the only human she likes and will be around so anyone else come in the room she freaks out and runs away and of course kittens go with her, when you do think it will be okay to maybe take kittens downstairs so they are with us and playing while im walking around, thinking that will help with getting used tome and other people, without shia obviously grabbing them by the scruff and hiding them.

last week i had friends round and they said hello and she grabbed all the kittens and hid them inside my daughters sheets :/

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh also, they are 6 weeks today so i can deflea them, any suggestions on what i use for little kittens and how i do it so they dont lick eachothers flea stuff off?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use Advantage II for cats, and just put a tiny drop on each neck.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get a puppy playpen and put them in your living room? I think they need a change in scenery and contact with more people to break them of these habits as soon as possible.

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ah perfect I have lots of advantage :D 

I don't have a puppy play pen, I got a massive cat tree and lots of toys downstairs as well to play with, will wait til all of them are eating solids then try and move them downstairs i've told the people adopting that they won't be going at 8 weeks as they won't be ready at this rate and instead will probs be ready to be rehomed at about 12 weeks, all are becoming very friendly apart from mr angrypants, but hes getting there.

I just tried feeding just now the black and white one had lots of food and seemed to enjoy it, fed shia downstairs and when she came upstairs i gave her another sachet to herself cos she was growling the kittens away from her food, sadly only the black and white was interested the others were ignoring it when i showed them and when shia came upstairs peestering her for milk :/