Meet Shia my pregnant baby :)

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Suggestion, your vet might be able to help you with hand-raising the kitten. I know mine has a trusted list on file of fosters who can help out with hand-raising. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this all started happening when Daniel entered the room, she knows and trusts daniel but clearly not enough with her kittens, before that she was actually just taking extra care of this one kitten, I have been sitting and watching and reacting to acting screams from the kits during the night, not much sleep, she hasnt chewed on it anymore but she does keep moving position and laying on all of them, then she freaks out cos she cant find them so i have to grab the ones she cant find for her and put back on her belly.

I am cancelling going out of town, its not worth the risk. If this is how she acts after Daniel being in here 5 minutes and not touching anything I don't want to risk her reaction to him coming and going all weekend and me not being her to keep an eye out.

I'd never forgive myself if something happened.

going to ask my dad to take the kids for the day today seeing as he doesn't need to take them for an entire weekend now, so I can spend the day watching and making sure shes over her freak out and if not i can go straight to shops to get some milk

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ive been checking on her every hour and shes moved the kittens from my bed to the wardrobe, so thinking maybe she was trying to pick it up and cos shes new to this she doesn't really know how to?

either way I've cancelled and I'm staying just in case, I'm happy I have my bed back though, I have a very mild cat allergy its basically like having hayfever and sleeping with them so close every night has been setting it off so this is a good thing haha although I feel kinda sad i wont wake up to them now :) 

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a cute picture. I am glad you staying around, the situation with the black one is a little scary. How is he doing now ? 

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hes good, I'm literally only popping my head in to give her some space but hes feeding well and shes taking good care of him, she does seem to take extra care of that one over the others which is probs why she went for him when she felt threatened maybe, but shes calmed down now and think she feels safe again now they have been moved to a different spot, making that nesting box was a waste of time though haha

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! Absolutely! Don't know why I did not think of that before!

Can you get a Feliway diffuser and plug it in your bedroom? This will help to calm mom.

I think being in the wardrobe will make all the difference as well. And thank you for cancelling your trip. It's not a good time to be away with new kittens and nervous mom.

Let us know how things go today! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited:

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I will try and get some just seen I am seriously short on rent though so may have to wait, trying to sell some things on ebay to sort it lol stupid bills coming out early

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now that I hear that she had them on your bed, as well as laying on them all then looking for them, I would bet anything this is all due to stress with her.

If her nest is sort of dark, out of the area of foot traffic, especially kids!, other pets, everything, except for you now and then, she just might settle down now.

As for the feliway, I don't usually recommend it so much, simply because they are not cheap, and have very mixed reviews, often that they don't see any difference with it, occasionally people will say it seemed to help, so it's up to you to try it or not.

I do think that key here and the most important is for her to have her privacy, quiet, so she can focus on tending to her babies.

VERY relieved to know the trip is cancelled!! 

You are clearly a good and responsible kitty mom :)

I would get a scale though and weigh daily, you can spend time with her and the kids fine, even as much as you want, but get down to her level and sweet talk her, petting and reassuring her as you observe the kids and how they're doing.

Watch that none go off and are alone, or as you said last night how the one was laid back, we don't want to see laid back, and sometimes these kind of babies really need to be watched closely weight-wise, and may need extra supplementing to get them through their first week or 2, with great gains daily they soon catch up and stabilize fine.

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
shes in my room which has zero foot traffic apart from me once in a while, I have told kids no coming in and they have been good at night when they need me they knock on the door and wait for me to come out if I'm in there, Mylo  is also locked out that room and not allowed in, although he has been trying hes scratching my door down lol, but wardrobe is a darker more secluded place, will borrow my dads scales and sort that, he only lives around the corner so will take a minute :)

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay he brought it round and i managed to weigh funny thing is the laid back one that she went for is actually the heaviest 

Black (one laid back one) -137g

B&W- 112g

G&W- 129g

Black- 129g

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's interesting. Keep an eye on the black and white kitten. That one needs to gain!

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
will add I can tell the difference between the black ones atm only due to the fact that I have have made the cord a bit too long on it so its easy to tell, until that drops off lol

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. Keep an eye on the black and white kitten. That one needs to gain!
I will, hes a big piggy and eats a lot so hopefully he will keep rising

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These are decent weights, so that's a good start.

You would be surprised about the big one, we always need to watch the runts of course, but sometimes even the biggest ones will suddenly go downhill and not make it.

The first 1-2 days may not show a gain but might too, if not, it's not something to panic about, but by day 3 the gaining should be happening.

You want to see a gain of at least 8 grams each, hoping for more, the more the better.

Bare minimum is 6 grams, but only for a couple days, we want to see more then that.

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so bloody dumb!!

when defleaing shia I completely forgot about worming, forgot it was even a thing, and shes just gotten up and theres a worm in her bum!

I've rung my dad and asked him to run shops for me and grab some dewormer right now but what about kittens nothing on google says anything about it

im so stupiddddd!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She def needs deworming, but must be for tapeworm too, which is that squirming little worm on her butt.

This is from the vet and is drontal, OR you can deworm her plus get Tape Worm Tabs at pet supply stores like Petco or Petsmart. (or ebay)

Kittens need dewormer too but not yet.

shiacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah i was planning on doing kittens when old enough me and my sister were talking about it last night i dont know why it didn't cross my mind about shia, I guess I never imagined she'd get them, it must be new cos i've never seen it in her poop, most places are closed right now, I'm just waiting on dad to see what he can find at local super market, then I will run down to vets tomorrow morning and what she needs depending on what I give her tonight.