Kitten already expecting kittens!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lea98 lea98

No, the vet may say that, but it is not necessary. Mama will let him know if she wants him to leave her alone!

My cat was spayed and came home the same day and resumed nursing her four 8-week-old kittens immediately. They ate cat food too, of course. There were no issues. I gave her pain meds as well. :)
I wouldn't feel comfortable enough to let him nurse but I'll let him visit her once in awhile. Before her surgery she had already been trying to wean him.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PicsArt_06-27-03.59.42.jpg

Little Leo during the day vs him at night :caticon: Random pic but I couldn't help but notice how similar the pictures are! :lol:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick Question:

I allowed Sun to see Leo and Chloe for a few moments earlier but within minutes decided to separate them. Mainly because, as you remember, Sun is still considered a kitten and actually acts like it. They usually play very roughly like the two kittens they are and Chloe will usually join in. However now that she has just had surgery, I don't think that is okay.

Should I continue to separate them or is minimal play okay?

By the way, Sun is feeling a lot better now.

PicsArt_06-27-06.53.38.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If Sun is engorged with milk, you may want to let Leo nurse a little. It will give Sun relief.

She looks good! :)

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If Sun is engorged with milk, you may want to let Leo nurse a little. It will give Sun relief.

She looks good! :)
I hadn't thought about that, I'll see if she lets them. How long until the milk completely "dries up"?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It can take awhile - at least 2 weeks and it can be very uncomfortable.

It's easier and less painful when kittens wean over a period of a few weeks. Mom slowly makes less and less milk.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it's like a cat version of a teenage pregnancy !
Yes, unfortunately she was too young to be having kittens but now at least it's over and she gets to see her son/best friend every day! :hugs: This was them this morning.
PicsArt_06-28-12.20.17.jpg

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm happy this story has a happy ending. :) By the way, she is beautiful.
Thank you! I've learned quite a bit from the ordeal, more than I wanted but it was all for the best, now I have a rambunctious little kitten I love:blush:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is so cute! Has he nursed at all?
Yes, Sun was allowing to nurse this morning. Didn't seem to be having any problems. However I was wondering, with the pain medicine, is it safe for him to be nursing?

Orglethorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just found this thread, and I wanted to pop in and say you're doing a great job, and your cats are all so cute!

My middle cat who's about 2 now was a very young mom as well, and unfortunately neither she nor her kittens recevied any vet care until they ended up at the local humane services shelter when she was just over a year and the kittens about 6 months. As a result, she was just 5.5lbs and even though she's filled out to more like 7 now as a spayed 2 year old, she still doesn't fit an adult collar. I think keeping Leo will do wonders for Sun's development, too. My little momma was clearly devestated to be separated from all of her babies all at once, and until we adopted another kitten (who she's adopted as her own), she was constantly stealing our socks and carrying them around like kittens. Adorable and heartbreaking a the same time.

Have you had any updates from the foster with the rest of her litter? Are they all doing well? You did the best thing for them, for sure, finding them a foster who would finish raising them together. The kitten I recently adopted turned out to be only 6 weeks old, and there's SO much my older cats are having to teach her that she should have been allowed to learn from her mother/litter mates that I worry about what sort of homes her siblings went to. It's unfortunately common in my area for people to let kittens go to new homes at 5-6 weeks, even though kitens with a willing & able mother should stay in their litter setting for 8-12 weeks.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 2 after spay

Good morning everyone! From Sun, Amira, and myself.

20170629_094005.jpg

Sun is feeling like herself, has been spending more time with Amira as she can't fully play with the younger ones. Leo and Chloe would have been in the picture but they took off to play in the hallway. Amira's birthday is coming up (July 8th)! She will be turning 1. Plus Leo and Chloe's combined spay/neuter appointment is scheduled in August. That way they can recover together and not wonder why the other doesn't want to play. Today, I just realized I have never posted a picture of my fifth cat, Cali. She is kind of the forgotten ghost cat because she LOVES to be outside, rarely comes in unless its raining, too hot, or too cold. She is the oldest at 4 years old and gets along with every one but prefers the more "solitary" life. Very affectionate though, despite her mean-looking exterior.

PicsArt_06-29-10.31.07.jpg

Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful day!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! So sweet!

Be advised that the kittens will be back to playing very quickly after their spay/neuter appointments.

Kittens have a super easy time with surgery. Mine acted like nothing happened! :)