Kitten already expecting kittens!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread, and I wanted to pop in and say you're doing a great job, and your cats are all so cute!

My middle cat who's about 2 now was a very young mom as well, and unfortunately neither she nor her kittens recevied any vet care until they ended up at the local humane services shelter when she was just over a year and the kittens about 6 months. As a result, she was just 5.5lbs and even though she's filled out to more like 7 now as a spayed 2 year old, she still doesn't fit an adult collar. I think keeping Leo will do wonders for Sun's development, too. My little momma was clearly devestated to be separated from all of her babies all at once, and until we adopted another kitten (who she's adopted as her own), she was constantly stealing our socks and carrying them around like kittens. Adorable and heartbreaking a the same time.

Have you had any updates from the foster with the rest of her litter? Are they all doing well? You did the best thing for them, for sure, finding them a foster who would finish raising them together. The kitten I recently adopted turned out to be only 6 weeks old, and there's SO much my older cats are having to teach her that she should have been allowed to learn from her mother/litter mates that I worry about what sort of homes her siblings went to. It's unfortunately common in my area for people to let kittens go to new homes at 5-6 weeks, even though kitens with a willing & able mother should stay in their litter setting for 8-12 weeks.
Aw, your story touched my heart! I hope your kitten and cat are doing well. To answer your question, the kittens are doing well, received vet care, they shall be in foster until they are 8 weeks. As for my decision to keep Leo, I know she enjoys spending time with him. When I separate them to give her some space, as she is still recovering, she calls for him and makes her "mama noises" through the door and he'll respond. I know they don't like getting separated but its only temporary and not all the time. :)

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww! So sweet!

Be advised that the kittens will be back to playing very quickly after their spay/neuter appointments.

Kittens have a super easy time with surgery. Mine acted like nothing happened! :)
I read that somewhere. That's why I rather have it done sooner rather then later. They'll bounce right back into little trouble makers:evilgrin:

Orglethorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How sweet! These are the two I mentioned in my post earlier:

The tortie playing surrogate momma is Camo and the tabby kitten is Pebbles. Pebbles is not big for nearly 8 weeks; Camo is just that tiny.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How sweet! These are the two I mentioned in my post earlier:

The tortie playing surrogate momma is Camo and the tabby kitten is Pebbles. Pebbles is not big for nearly 8 weeks; Camo is just that tiny.
Oh my, how precious! Surrogate kitties are such magnificent animals with big hearts. Not every cat will accept one who is not their own. Thanks for sharing! :thanks::redheartpump:

Last edited:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Speaking of Chloe and Sun; I have a question.

Chloe is obviously weeks older than Leo yet I find Sun feeding her as well. :lol:
20170629_134733.jpg

20170629_134829.jpg

Is this normal or is she too old to be breastfeeding?:salute:

Orglethorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Babies will take any opportunity they can get :lol: I'd say normal, and don't worry about it. Sun will wean them both when she feels it's time.

Orglethorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Camo has long since dried up and cannot start producing milk again due to being spayed after stopping lactation from her own litter. Doesn't stop Pebbles from tying to suckle, and Camo lets her. She just takes the opportunity to give Pebbles a thorough bath.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Camo has long since dried up and cannot start producing milk again due to being spayed after stopping lactation from her own litter. Doesn't stop Pebbles from tying to suckle, and Camo lets her. She just takes the opportunity to give Pebbles a thorough bath.
As long as I know I'm not the only one! :lol: Sun hopefully will stop lactating soon now that she's spayed. Still, she will always be a mommy to these two!

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
-Opinions Needed-

What age, in your opinion, should a kitten be altered? Answer what you believe is the prime age for kittens to be spayed/neutered.

I just want to know because I have an appointment in August for my two kittens. Leo, the youngest, is going to be 8 weeks on Wednesday. Chloe is about to turn 13 weeks on Monday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had my kittens spayed and neutered at 12 weeks old. It's important to get it done before sex hormones begin to come in, which can be as early as 4-5 months. Kittens also recuperate very quickly when young.

Orglethorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For males, since it's a quick and relatively simple procedure, 8 weeks is fine. 12 is the earliest I'd do a female as the spay is more involved. As others have said, though, best to do it before first heat. Domestics can have their forts heat as early as 5 months.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine done at 4 months. I was told by the vet not to worry as she will sleep a lot (which I was looking forward to). Nope, she was still hypo and jumping around everywhere (which I was worried about however couldn't stop her). I wanted it done before her first heat hence so young

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your wonderful recommendations and advice!

I appreciate every single bit of advise I can get but I'm in need of more, I'm afraid. I have always adopted cats that were already litter box trained so this is my first time potty training a kitten. Leo, as you can imagine, is at that age where he should be using the litter box himself. However he has been having accidents occasionally. Very stubborn little guy who leaps from the litter box every time I put him in there. Any tips?

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

I am sad to announce things have taken a turn for the worse and I am having to consider rehoming Leo... He has not taken to the litter box and I have no idea what else to try. I even locked him in a dog crate with a litter box, food & water of course but am very concerned about his future. If I do decide to keep him, he may have to be forced to remain outside entirely. I don't want that so rehoming is looking like a better option but it's scary because I know most people will not put up with a cat having "accidents" in the house either. I'm so worried...

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is Leo? He may just need a little more time.
He is about to turn 8 weeks old. I've never litter box trained a kitten before so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yikes. Your expectations are much too high for a baby kitten!

Keep him confined to one kitten-proof room and provide several small litter boxes. Place him in a box before and after eating. He is just learning still. Please take a deep breath and help him to learn.