Is my cat pregnant ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very sad to say he died half hour ago. Pork little boy was such a fighter . We named him star.i looked up on Internet to give him the emergency dehydrator fluid of which I game him and he picked up but then sadly faded away. Mollys been in her nest most the night I think she's pining .she hasn't ate
much at all today . Any warning signs I should look out for? Very sad news . Thank you all once again for all your help

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very sad to say he died half hour ago. Pork little boy was such a fighter . We named him star.i looked up on Internet to give him the emergency dehydrator fluid of which I game him and he picked up but then sadly faded away. Mollys been in her nest most the night I think she's pining .she hasn't ate
much at all today
. Any warning signs I should look out for? Very sad news . Thank you all once again for all your help
Do I read you right?  Molly is perhaps not well?   A nursing mom must drink and eat. It happens they dont eat much the first day after, because they ate the placentas... But after it?

Be sure she has enough with water.  Dehydration weakens her.   If necessary, forcefeed her.  The same procedure as above.  You can use this homemade pedialyte for her too...

Also, look up with fever.   If you dont want to take it in rectum, the behind, you can take the temp in the armpit of the foreleg.  Its usually lover there,  so it will be about 37,5C or  99F.

If it is substantially higher, its fever.

If you measure in the recttum, its 38,5C and about 101F as the normal temp.

If she continues to be unwell you must contact your vet ASAP you know she is unwell.

Come with reports and clearances.

RIP little Star!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps.  Try to entice her to eat, even if its not first rate nourishment, but as long as she eats and drinks aplenty, is the main thing at this moment.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's feeding kittens well just won't leave them since I had to take over feeding and care of star

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Place her food and water as close to the nest as possible so she doesn't have to go far to get nourishment. See if this helps.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her foods right next to nest .I've try ed temping her with ham and her food and nothing . All she's doing is feeding kittens and sleeping . If nothing changed I'm taking molly to vet in the morning.kittens are feed every time I go to see her. I wonder if there getting enough milk.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a thermometer only have a child ear one or fish tank one .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vet trip can't hurt. She may just be exhausted and not hungry still after eating the placentas. Didn't she give birth just a day ago?

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you will know if the babies are getting enough food as their tummies will fill full and round. if their tummies are not full then I would start assisting to feed them after Molly feeds them. Have you checked to see if Molly has milk? Her teats should be full if she has milk. I dont think she would be pinning about Star 
but that will be only for a short period. Normally as soon as you removed Star from the nest She would start forgetting and focus on the other 3 kittens. Pay attention to the Kittens and check Molly as you can comforting her when you can to help your feelings too. Was your son home during this time? as you will have to explain to him why there is only 3 now. I think you can still get rectal thermometers. I have several if I was only close by.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes Sarthur2 she delivered about 29 hours ago. From the thread she had 2 stillborn ( non-developed baby pouches) and now a runt did not make it.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on molly she's eaten a little this morning . Seems in good health . keeping a very close eye on her and the kittens

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't have a thermometer only have a child ear one or fish tank one .
You can use this too, although it will prob show lower temp than in the rectum.  Do calibrate it on yourself, a healthy human has  slightly less than 37C  or  96F  (I wont swear on the F, we dont use F in Sweden).

I mean, its possibly these electronical thermometres are compensating.

Also, to know if the kittens gets enough good milk, weig thme with an electronical kitchen scale,  measuring in grammes.   Very small born kittens shall gain 6+ grammes a day, normal big newborns shall gain 10+  a day.

When in crisis, measure every 12 hours.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Molly has some tuna. Kittens are constantly feeding is this normal

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Molly has some tuna. Kittens are constantly feeding is this normal
You must weigh them NOW to know if they get enough.  If you dont have a scale, borrow from some neighbour...  Weight them every 12 hours, as you are in a crisis.

Some tuna is better than noting, but I fear there is some problem, maybe deep problem.

EVEN if I would worry too much, its better to err on the point of overdoing the precautions, than be there because you did too little and too late.

Sorry to be so blunt.   Its   Red Alert situation, I think.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just weighed them . Yesterday they weighed 3.2g ,3.0g.and 2.8g today 3.7g.3.5g and 3.1g is that good ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just weighed them . Yesterday they weighed 3.2g ,3.0g.and 2.8g today 3.7g.3.5g and 3.1g is that good ?
I suspect it isnt grammes, but Oz, when every oz is about 30 grammes.

Yes, the additions are substantial, and it thus seems they get enough, and its normal as it can be with the kittens.

We can downgrade now the Red alert to Yellow alert.     Proceed to be sure the mom gets what she can.

If salomonella in eggs is no problem at your place, raw egg yolk added in wahtever food or fluid you give her, is nourishing and good.

Boiled yolk is of course also good, but not as easily accessible.

Good luck!

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just gave molly water through a dropper. As haven't seen her drink . She's eatting

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for molly to be in her nest so much. She's come out once this morning for 5 mins then straight back .