Is my cat pregnant ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've just gave molly water through a dropper. As haven't seen her drink . She's eatting
Good.  Dehydration is a major danger for her, especielly as she is lactating.  It takes also away her strengh.

Dropper is useful, but it doesnt contain much, and there will be much to do for you.  And if you are the least careless, a dropper may squirt water into the wrong throat.

Its easier with a syringe, some sort of needleless syringe - eithe a medicine dosage syringe, or a real syringe, but with the needle away.

When I tried to recounst the OZ weights by quick head calculation, the additions were 15, 15 and 10 g.  Its good and proper.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it normal for molly to be in her nest so much. She's come out once this morning for 5 mins then straight back .
Its quite common for most moms, although its partly individual.

But as I hinted, I think she is in troubles by some reason.  Possibly even "just" dehydration because she being a good momma, doesnt go out from the nest...  Lets hope that is so, its easy to help out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any other way I can rehydrate her more than water ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it normal for molly to be in her nest so much. She's come out once this morning for 5 mins then straight back .
One thing dawned on me.  Give her extra calcium, for example, some plain unsweetened youghurt, preferably full fat.

Goat milk is good too.  - esp if you can get raw goat milk.  Even cow milk may be useful, if you are sure she managed cow milk.   The same here- if you by any chance can get raw cow milk, its better than  the usual pasteurized.

All these are fluids, good nourishment, AND contains calcium.

A little cheese when she begins to eat solids...
Any other way I can rehydrate her more than water ?

Last edited:

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How often do I give her it pls and how much

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just phoned vet they said as long as she's eating something and keep pushing the fluids she should be fine . If she goes down hill to get her in asap

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How often do I give her it pls and how much
Lets try to count the total need of water:  the kittens shall have at least 8ml/oz  a day.   So at this moment they get  at least 24 ml apiece.  say 100 ml alltogether.

The mom needs as minimum 70 ml/ kg a day.  Lets say she is 4kg, gives about 300 ml a day -  alike two coffe cups.

So the absolute minimum will be 400 ml  a day. [300 for her body funktions +100 for them kittens]    As you see, I have every time rounded upwards, but she is after all lactacing and does needs more than an average neutered male.

Some of the water she gets with food.   In wet food there is quite much water. In dry food almost none.

Also, if she gets a little too much water and nutrising fluids doesnt matter, she will just pee it out.   Its the too little which is dangerous.  Dehydration is never good.

So, you may count for yourself...   If she isnt eating lotsa of food containing much water, you must safeguard she gets fluids another way, even if it would meant forcefeeding.

Last edited:

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mollys picking up she's come out the nest and is eatting kitten food . Going to try more fluids when she's finished

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just managed to get 6 x 5ml of the dehydrator fluid in to molly by suringe. I can only do this if she's lying down feeding kittens is this ok ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with your vet and Stefan. I think she has been both exhausted and somewhat dehydrated. I think she will come out of it also. She has been drained by the birthing experience and the rigors of nursing, but it sounds as though she is beginning to rest up and get the hang of things.

Try giving her a dish of KMR. Cats usually love formula, and can use the extra nutrition. My first-time mama cat did not leave the nest even once for 12 hours when she gave birth 8 weeks ago. I brought her a dish of kitten milk to her nest and she lapped it right up while nursing. She proceeded to drink 2 more bowls of milk while lying in her nest.

Good mama cats will spend the majority of their time in the nest nursing their newborns. When they do get up to eat, drink, use the litter box, or visit their human, it will be brief. They will frequently lie outside the nest but very close when the kittens are sleeping.

It's good that you are being so attentive to their needs, and especially good the kittens are gaining weight.

Hope to hear that Molly continues to improve.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just managed to get 6 x 5ml of the dehydrator fluid in to molly by suringe. I can only do this if she's lying down feeding kittens is this ok ?
Splendid!   Every trick is  OK to use, as long as it leads to the goal.   Good you do find your own solutions!

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried with kmr. She won't take it . She's very tired I think . She's snoring. And gone very quiet again :( How often should I give molly fluid ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe leave some down in a dish. She may change her mind when she feels better. It sounds as though she has melancholy. Give her fluids a few times a day, but I wouldn't wake her to give them. Another thing you could try is the Gerber chicken or turkey baby food right out of the jar. Most cats love it & it is a good source of iron.

How long have you had this cat?

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've tried with kmr. She won't take it . She's very tired I think . She's snoring. And gone very quiet again
How often should I give molly fluid ?
As said, count yourself.  If she is 4kg she will need about 400 ml fluid a day. - like 3 small cups of coffe.  If she is 3kg it will be more down to 300. Two normal cups of coffee.

Part of it is in food, esp if its wet food.  

So, depending on the number of how often you give her, and her voluntarily drinking, you can roughly count how much to give

Yes, its some work.  They dont always recognize they must drink.   You must fight.

I remember, mom of our oldest resident, was dying from kidney problems.  And didnt wanted to drink.  So the owners, teh breeeders, forcefeed her water. One held, one gave her with syringe...  Well when forced, she accepted the water.   They kept her in life over a year this way.  Later on they found a water fountain worked, she drank herself from a water fountain for cats...  And thus, she got another one year more of decently OK life.    The Deathd did come and tetched her in te end, of course.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe leave some down in a dish. She may change her mind when she feels better. It sounds as though she has melancholy. Give her fluids a few times a day, but I wouldn't wake her to give them. Another thing you could try is the Gerber chicken or turkey baby food right out of the jar. Most cats love it & it is a good source of iron.

Do you know what she had been eating before you took her? And is it possible her other owner can come over to visit with her? It might perk her up. Just a thought.
Yes, if she had a loved owner, this may be the reason she is down under the weather, as the english say.

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had molly a year . I'll see if my husband can cheer her up . She maybe missing her playmates my other 2 cats as I've kept them away from her since she had the kittens . Molly was fine though until yesterday about 4m when I realised star her kitten who died last night was poorly

metcalfe1987

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had molly since she was a baby kitten

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok. For some reason, I thought you had just gotten her. It's a big change for her to become a mom. Hope she feels better soon! :)

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had cats that will not drink standing water or from a dish so I have to make sure they have access to running water. The syringe might help her think it is fresh water if that is the problem. I concur with the other messages and the vet. Keep an eye on Molly and supplement the babies so they don't draw Molly down so quickly until she gets her strength back. keep us advised if you have any other questions.