I think she's pregnant...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you need a tube of antibiotic ointment for the eyes. Yellow-green means infection.

Gains are good!
Oh man! I'll call the vet in the morning...
Hopefully I won't get a 'you only saw gunk once...why are you calling me???'

He is the definition of non alarmist.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spoke to the vet. He wants to see the kittens that had issues. He said not to bring Sophie if she's not exhibiting symptoms.
Any tips on how to take the kittens in the least stressful manner possible?
And does that sounds right? To only take half the family to the vet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay to just take the ones who had crust. They are all too young for shots right now. I'm sure he wants to check for a URI. He needs to see at least one of them to prescribe. If he gives you a tube of eye ointment, you can use it for all of them if they get it. It's very contagious.

Have you seen more eye gunk since then?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's okay to just take the ones who had crust. They are all too young for shots right now. I'm sure he wants to check for a URI. He needs to see at least one of them to prescribe. If he gives you a tube of eye ointment, you can use it for all of them if they get it. It's very contagious.

Have you seen more eye gunk since then?
I checked everyone today an no more eye gunk or crusty noses.

Should I put a rice pack in the carrying case with the kittens? Should I bring them in a carrying case or in a box?

When Sophie was little I just wrapped her in a towel and held her close. But she was very sick. These guys are wild things!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Carrying case is best. It's pretty hot there, right? I doubt they need a rice pack.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Carrying case is best. It's pretty hot there, right? I doubt they need a rice pack.
Thanks! The heat wave broke so now it's in the 90's. Oh the sacrifices I make! Fun fact...I'm from Chicago originally where hell goes to freeze over.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! From one extreme to the other!

I'm in Florida so I know all about high temperatures! [emoji]9728[/emoji]️

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're back from the vet!

Babies have an eye infection :( We got antibiotic eye ointment to put on twice a day for all 4 babies. He said if it doesn't clear up by day 2 to call him back.

He said otherwise these guys look great! He told me to start introducing mush to them already.

I also brought up to him that Sophie is looking super thin. Like thinner than before she got pregnant...And she was small to begin with. She eats about 1.5 kg of dry kitten food a week and 2 pouches of wet food a day plus whatever else I give her (yogurt, eggs, chicken). He said to keep an eye on it and if she continues losing weight I will have to bring her in and he will have to run blood work. Has anyone dealt with momma losing too much weight after birth?

It's so noticeable that my 6 yr old son mentioned it to me too.

Overall a productive vet visit. And not too heavy on the pockets.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We're back from the vet!

Babies have an eye infection :( We got antibiotic eye ointment to put on twice a day for all 4 babies. He said if it doesn't clear up by day 2 to call him back.

He said otherwise these guys look great! He told me to start introducing mush to them already.

I also brought up to him that Sophie is looking super thin. Like thinner than before she got pregnant...And she was small to begin with. She eats about 1.5 kg of dry kitten food a week and 2 pouches of wet food a day plus whatever else I give her (yogurt, eggs, chicken). He said to keep an eye on it and if she continues losing weight I will have to bring her in and he will have to run blood work. Has anyone dealt with momma losing too much weight after birth?

It's so noticeable that my 6 yr old son mentioned it to me too.

Overall a productive vet visit. And not too heavy on the pockets.
It's probably because she is nursing. Nursing moms need to eat a LOT in order to produce as much milk as they needed to nurse their babies. It's likely that the nutrients are quite literally being sucked right out of her haha.

Once the kittens wean she should start gaining a little bit of weight again.

Maybe up the amount of wet food you give her per day for now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think just giving her more wet food right now would help.

I'm glad the babies are getting treatment! Their eyes will clear up soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll try and up her intake. She did very happily clean up their mush last night. Maybe I'll make more today since I know it wont go to waste. :) They were curious but confused by it and didn't eat any of it. They did go swimming in it though. Lol

As for the eye ointment...My arms are all scratched up and sophie is annoyed at me. It's gonna be a fun week of 2x a day of this...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, boy. You'll need to have it on your finger at the ready, and scruff each kitten by the neck to put the ointment on their eyes. You should be able to doctor the kittens at this age without getting badly scratched.

I know you are trying to budget cat food, but Sophie is clearly hungry. She'll need to eat more to gain weight. My cat used to scarf up the kitten leftovers too - no wasted food ever!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much wet food do you think I should give her? Currently she's getting 2x a day. Should I add 1 or 2 pouches?

I cant up the dry food because it's free feed. I fill up the dispenser and don't worry about it again until it starts to get low. (About once a week)

Any human food I can add more of that's high in calories?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd suggest 4 pouches a day. Morning, noonish, supper, and before bed - about every 6 hours. Chopped boiled egg is an excellent protein. So is boiled chicken. But she needs the wet food for sure.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you giving her kmr daily? I also give my momma kitty nutrical every day, she loves it. She's eating 4 small cans of wet a day and would probably easily take a 5th if I were up in the middle of the night. Maybe try giving her a scrambled egg?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Yes, it is kitten food (Ththe dry and wet). I'll increase her wet from 2 to 4 cans a day and add a dish of kmr although she has never been very interested in the kmr.

I'll boil up some eggs and mash them up for her too.

Plus she'll get the kitten's leftover mush (The only way she takes kmr).

Hopefully shell put on some weight soon. I don't think she has any more weight to lose :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will look and feel better when she eats more! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My poor Sophie is a mess! She threw up today :( This morning was a bit hectic and I think she got into the leftover milk in the kids bowls that I forgot to dump. If she continues vomiting I will call the vet.

The kittens have figured out how to get from their enclosure onto my bed so she is a bit frantic. She keeps running back and forth. Some don't have the confidant yet to climb down so they stand there crying until she runs over and takes them down.

I started kitten proofing my room but today I'm going to really focus on it. I need to get non clumping litter since her box is in my room (for now) and close off a few nooks and crannies and do a thorough sweep and wash. Wanna take bets on how many legos I find?

Oh, and I have work until 8 PM!