I think she's pregnant...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ha! My cat did the same thing!

At the three week mark, I came home and checked the guest room closet where Miss Kitty had nested with her four babies all this time, only to find it empty. Turns out she had moved them across the hall to my bedroom. I moved them all back, then she moved them all back. Voila - she wanted them in my bedroom.

Like you, I made a few adjustments, but they were happy, and stayed there playing, exploring, nursing, and sleeping for a few more weeks, until ready to go downstsirs and explore. But my bedroom remained home base regardless.

So yes, she's bringing babies out of the nest to you, deliberately, because she trusts you to help her feed them soon when they wean, and for you and they to socialize. It's all normsl, and a growth step, and a compliment!

Enjoy them in your room. I could hear them nursing at night. Use a nightlight though, so you don't step on one if you need to get up in the middle if the night! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to manage the heat though?

It's 106 today and I am melting in fear of turning on a fan or the ac. My room is also my home office...
Also, on this heat, is the heating pad really necessary? It's gotta be between 80-90 degrees in here! They do have plenty of room now to move off of it of if they need.

I really wish I wouldn't be afraid to bring a fan in here and just point out on me. If I can't, I might have to move my operations else where because I will not survive this heat!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please feel free to put your a/c on and make your home comfortable. A fan is okay too. The kittens will be fine. They have the heating pad and each other, and I'm sure a comfortable temperature in your home will not be too cold for them! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

P.S. I cannot believe the temperatures there!

Last edited:

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please feel free to put your a/c on and make your home comfortable. A fan is okay too. The kittens will be fine. They have the heating pad and each other, and I'm sure a comfortable temperature in your home will not be too cold for them! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

P.S. I cannot believe the temperatures there!
Oh thank god! It's 7:30 pm and still 100 degrees! I wasn't sure what I was going to do for the night...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you! I'm sorry you've waited so long for an answer. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you! I'm sorry you've waited so long for an answer. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
It's okay. Electricity is expensive anyhow :)

It's so funny how a simple move that gave me the scare of my life was so much progress for this little family. First of all, Sophie allowed me to come into her new home for a feeding and after, while everyone was playing around climbing and play fighting, she left me to babysit :) I felt so honored! She didn't go far of course and kept an eye on me the whole time but I think I did okay. She only came running in one lol.

I seriously feel like grandma babysitting for the first time getting calls every 5 min!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's interesting! My cat left her children with me full-time when they were about 6 weeks old. She'd slink off upstairs to have a nap on my bed for 2-3 hours, leaving me to watch the little ones. I honestly think she was so relieved to get a break. She was exhausted from the whole round the clock care, so I didn't mind. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was a full time cat momma at 6 weeks old. I was out for a walk one evening and Sophie was running in the street. I got down and she came right over and let me pick her up. She was very pleased to have a person (again?). She didn't have a momma watching and she was so people friendly that I figured she was abandoned. She was pretty beat up and almost didn't make it but she is still with us!

I have no idea what she had but about a week after she came to us she got lethargic and stopped eating. She refused any food and was fading fast. I took her to the vet asap and she had 106.8 fever and he said its a virus thats common in street kittens here (most common cause of death apparently). He sent us home with amoxicillin and told us to get as much food in her as we could and thank god she pulled through. I still wonder what she had...

That's the story of Sophie :)

Looking at pics of her...I think she was about the size of her babies but double their age :/

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She really is! She's my little girl

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for sophie to be making sounds I've never heard before? It's kinda like low humming and sometimes cooing... Hard to explain as I've never heard these sounds before.

Also the kits are being so much more vocal. Especially at night. They're still gaining well (over 15 g a day). I don't know what they're comaining about. It got to the point last night that sophie woke me up at 3 am to sit with her/ them. What could be bothering them all?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it normal for sophie to be making sounds I've never heard before? It's kinda like low humming and sometimes cooing... Hard to explain as I've never heard these sounds before.

Also the kits are being so much more vocal. Especially at night. They're still gaining well (over 15 g a day). I don't know what they're comaining about. It got to the point last night that sophie woke me up at 3 am to sit with her/ them. What could be bothering them all?
Its surely communication with her kittens.  Yes, in this situation they have new sounds, specific for this.  Another situation with lotsa of new sounds is a friendly tom courting a female.

You wouldnt believe how many sounds there may be in such a young stud doing his outmost to court a not very willing female!

And thus, friendly voices and crooning sounds is a potent communication from humans to cats.  Cats do understand such language.  Not exactly what is said, but they understand the human is  friendly .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sophie is trilling to her kittens! It's how cat moms communicate with their children. If you see it during the day, you'll notice how they come to her when she trills. It's almost a cooing sound.

You'll hear the trilling and smacking noises from nursing during the night if they are in your bedroom. My mama kitty eventually began herding her litter downstairs to play at night, and I slept better. They were a few months old before they began sleeping through the night though.

It's all interesting, isn't it? [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is quite interesting!

I guess all the ruckus at night is just them fighting over their preferred nipples and pushing and shoving to get to momma.

Sophie wants no one out of the box/area she made for them yet. I think they're still too little to start exploring...especially since I dont have a way to close them off to one area. (The house is an open floor plan)

I should probably start figuring it out soon...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sophie will have to adjust very soon to her kittens leaving the nest! This begins wholeheartedly between 3 and 4 weeks.

Are you able to close the bedroom door? Mine stayed in my bedroom until they were 6 weeks, then I let them venture out. Although I kitten-proofed, they still found trouble! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sophie will have to adjust very soon to her kittens leaving the nest! This begins wholeheartedly between 3 and 4 weeks.

Are you able to close the bedroom door? Mine stayed in my bedroom until they were 6 weeks, then I let them venture out. Although I kitten-proofed, they still found trouble! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
She built them a kitty run along the length of my bed. I closed it of using a box and a cat scratching post that has a hole to hide in on the bottom. The kittens love hiding in there and jumping out at each other!

I can certainly close the door to my room but kitten proofing...gonna be tough! There are wires for the computer and they can squeeze behind the headboard. (Sophie did that at 6 weeks and I needed to move the need to get he out...lesson learned)

I guess I'll start kitty proofing now so that Egerton they get out out won't be a shock.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Question: when I was doing weights today, I noticed one little guy had some crusties on his eyes and another one had on his nose. I know this generally is a sign of a uri and needs antibiotics. But the babies are eating well and gaining extremely well and still active and playing. Could it be something else?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could also just be crust from tears or milk. Was the eye or nose crust yellow or green?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The eye stuff was more gunk and ya, a yellowish green. The other kitty with the nose crust, it was more brownish and crusty and wiped away easily.

These kiities gained 14 and 17 g since yesterday as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you need a tube of antibiotic ointment for the eyes. Yellow-green means infection.

Gains are good!