I think she's pregnant...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, dear!

Cow's milk will make a cat sick if that's what she got into. Let's hope that's all the vomit was from.

How is Sophie doing with her extra wet food meals? Scarfing?

It does tend to upset mama cats when the little ones stray too far from the nest initially.

Take a deep breath ... [emoji]128077[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, dear!

Cow's milk will make a cat sick if that's what she got into. Let's hope that's all the vomit was from.

How is Sophie doing with her extra wet food meals? Scarfing?

It does tend to upset mama cats when the little ones stray too far from the nest initially.

Take a deep breath ... [emoji]128077[/emoji]
Yes, it was cow's milk. I try and be very good about dumping it before doing carpool but today was so hectic I forgot.

Is there a word for more than scarfing? Lol Shes still not interested in the kmr unless it's in the kitten's mush though.

The kittens are very funny about the mush. One can't get enough, but he's very shy and doesn't understand how to lap it. So I put some on my finger and he slowly comes over and chomps down on my finger and runs away. The others come over, sniff it, play in it, and walk away. Theyre still young so Im not worried.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad Sophie is eating more and enjoying it! Has the house quieted down some now?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kids are by their dad until sunday evening. So it's just me and the kitties for the weekend.

I'm gonna hop out tomorrow and get them some sort of encosure thats bigger than what I have and safer. There's just no way to ensure that there will be no legos on the floor with two little boys. Any suggestions? Someone mentioned a bunny gate to me. I really hope it doesn't cost too much...But I'm not willing to allow an accident to happen and I'm not confidant in there not being choking hazards.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have thrift shops or consignment shops that sell used baby items? Maybe you could find something there.

The kittens will quickly outgrow whatever you get. Do you feel your bedroom is not safe?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My bed is elevated just enough that a kitten can squeeze under but not enough to get a hand under there to get him out. And there are wires from the computer. And legos and small cars that I can scream until I'm blue in the face not to bring toys into my room still somehow end up here. (I found out about it in the middle of the night when I step on one).

Also my kids believe they live on a barn. They prance into my room at 5:30/ 6 AM throwing the door open and begin complaining. They don't close doors. This morning I caught them taking apart the enclosure I had put together.

I would be calmer if they were in a closed area. If we could keep the kids in the baby gate, that works too ;)

I see one that is 61*61 cm (24*24 in) is that decent or too small? Hard to tell by the pic.

Gonna look on craigslist too...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds too small.

You may need to set some boundaries and impress upon your kids the importance of being careful around the kittens. How old are your boys?

A gate at your door might just slow your boys down! [emoji]128521[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there was a poster last year who made a kitty corral out of cardboard boxes.  she cut down one side to open it up and taped a few together.  When the kittens were ready to litter train she added a litter box room on one end.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds too small.

You may need to set some boundaries and impress upon your kids the importance of being careful around the kittens. How old are your boys?

A gate at your door might just slow your boys down! [emoji]128521[/emoji]
My boys are 4 and 6. They're quite young...But smart enough to take advantage of their overworked mom!

The 4 yr old is actually better than the 6 yr old. He's very sensitive to the kitten's needs and quite caring. It's very sweet.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are quite the handful! They learn so quick how to escape!!! Had to rearrange things yet again and in doing so one little escape artist got under the bed! Took a minute but I got him out. He was just a tad bit dusty and a little shocked but otherwise okay.

Since I made their area bigger, I moved sophies food and water in there. While the kittens show very little interest in the mush, they love the water and even the dry food. Is it okay for them to lap at her water and try to munch the dry food? I've only seen one guy actually eat the dry and he surprisingly did a pretty good job. They mostly paw at the food and lap at the water once or twice before getting distracted.

I'll obviously keep offering mush since they need the wet food. I think I'm gonna go to the pet shop on Sunday and get the royal canin baby cat wet food. I like it better than the wet food I currently have.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's fine, in fact a great way to encourage weaning. But is the dry food kitten chow? They need tiny pieces to crunch on. It's surprising how young they learn! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's fine, in fact a great way to encourage weaning. But is the dry food kitten chow? They need tiny pieces to crunch on. It's surprising how young they learn! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Yes, it is kitten chow with some of the smallest peices I've seen. They're smaller than a pea.I've has Sophie on kitten food since I realized she was pregnant. She was/ is so small that I figured the extra calories can't hurt.

How many times a day should I offer the mush? Currently I'm only giving it to them 1x a day because they don't eat it anyhow at this point. And they do still primarily need momma's milk at this age.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honestly, I would wait another week before offering it again since they are showing no interest, unless you just want to give it to Sophie.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! They are big for 25 days!

Eh, but still not quite ready for mush. I'll bet they will be interested next week. It's good they are trying the kitten kibble.

I'm loving the new enclosure! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! They are big for 25 days!

Eh, but still not quite ready for mush. I'll bet they will be interested next week. It's good they are trying the kitten kibble.

I'm loving the new enclosure! [emoji]128077[/emoji]
they are quite big for 25 days!  But they were also born big...everyone in the area of 140 g. My bet is they were cooking for a few extra days but Im happy about that since theyre all so healthy and strong! 

The new enclosure is sooo nice! It gives them the space they desire and gives Sophie and I the peace of mind we need! It did take a few adjustments to get it set up right but its always a learning curve. And I love that the kittens play on the scratching post.  I sometimes will "lose" a kitten only to find him napping inside the box. 

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Question about feeding...

So since I set up their new play area, they have all taken to eating momma's dry kitten food. At first she was upset but she has calmed down and is willing to share her food. They are also starting to lap water...But mostly play in it at this time.

Today when I put down Sophie's wet food, one was eating the dry and two others ran over to taste mom's food. (She did not let them) I decided to try and see if they'd want mush again. So I quickly prepared a dish of mush. The kittens came running and everyone was sniffing it and pawing at it and about ready to taste it when Sophie came over and ate it :(
She still has half a tin of wet food left mind you.
How do I get her to stop eating their food before they've tried it/ had their fill?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like some of them are ready to eat solids - yay!

I had this problem with my mama kitty, but solved it by giving mom an identical bowl of mush a few feet away, then not letting her near until the kittens were done.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise