I think she's pregnant...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, puppy pen is fine for now when you need to use it. They are too young to have unsupervised free-range.

I meant get on the calendar for Sophie's spay. Set it up for when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't call it discipline exactly (since it's not in response to misbehavior), but she is trying to teach them some fighting techniques :lol3:. It's rough out there on the streets! So mama cats have to teach their kits how to deal with that. It's normal and it teaches them how to use their teeth and claws in a controlled manner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, that makes sense! Thank you :)

Transition was not as great as it could have been. They all came out of my room on their own but once they were out with my 2 overly loving children, they ran and hid under the couch. They stayed there for a few hrs until the kids went to bed.

After bedtime, I moved the pen to block off the area that the couches are so they have a but more space and they have under the couch to hide if they get spooked.

Food and water and toys are all there too as well as a puppy pad for jic (the pet store had no litter that I was happy with for them).

And Sophie is able to get in and out easily as well.

Full night sleep...here I come!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a precious little family :9:

I have a Sophie too. She's a tiny little thing but full of spunk. She might be 5 pounds soaking wet. 

Aww!!! Thanks!!! Sophie as well...very slim figure but she eats sooo much!!! I can see that the girl has her figure already and one of the boys. The other two are rolly pollys.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First full day of the transtion to the living area is coming to an end...

It's not as easy as I thought... With the kids leaving toys out, loud noises spooking the kittens, kitty accidents, constant sweeping, sophie being a bit anxious, having to close sophie in a separate room while we eat...

But all in all...it's very sweet!!! And I think a learning experience for everyone. The kids are learning to close doors, clear after themselves, pick up after themselves, be calm around the kittens. The kittens learning to trust, use the littet box, find their place, gaining confidence. And of course me being forced to keep everything spottless, and ensure a safe environment for the kittens, being on top of making sure the kids do the things they should be already doing.

Kitty infanthood (with mom) is nothing compared to the toddler days...

Also, they're using the box!!! They're not perfect and one guy thought it was a bed until the first poopy ruined his nap spot but they're all using it!!!

Feeding times are so sweet too! Sophie and three kittens all cone running and eat together around the bowl (I put extra so there is enough for everyone including momma). One kitty still refuses wet food. He eats dry food and laps water fine but has zero interest in the wet (Im not concerned).

All in all, despite it being difficut it is going very well. :-)

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HELP!!!
Sophie is having diarreah every where!!!
I can't call the vet until tomorrow and idk what to do.
What could it be? Should I seperate her from the kittens? Is that going to be an issue?
Please help!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and how is she acting otherwise? Is there any chance she got into anything she shouldn't have? I know she's been stealing food.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's normal light brown color.
She certainly could have gotten into things. She finds food where I didn't know it existed.
She's been acting normal. Maybe a bit more moody than usual...
I think it has stopped though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness! Sounds like she got into something. I was concerned yesterday after your plea for help and didn't hear back from you!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I've been soooo busy! I'm starting a new job soon and my ex is out of town. No time for the internet. :(
Her back two nipples are swollen and she is meowing a bit more than usual. Is this normal with weaning? All the kittens are eating solids and I don't think they're nursing much anymore. Although they could be since they all sleep under the couch.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the nipples red or hard, as if inflamed with mastitis? You can put a warm, damp compress on those two nipples to see if it helps.

She may be uncomfortable because the kittens are weaning and she's still full of milk. Drying up takes a couple of weeks if indeed they have stopped nursing. It's usually a slow process though. I would guess the kittens are still nursing.

Good luck with your new job! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Her nipples are not red or hard. Just swollen as if full of milk. I remember how uncomfortable it is...

Something is off though. She's still not acting 100% like herself. Her ears are not hot though so I don't think she has a fever.
I think the diarreah caused a strain because her area seems strange and she's in the litter box a lot as if she has to go but she doesn't go.
She's also not as food driven right now. She didn't even touch the wet food I put out this evening.
I'm not sure what is up with her. I think I might have to go to the vet when I have some money (hopefully soon).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
princess sophia princess sophia

Do you have any plain canned pumpkin? I'd offer her a tablespoon or two. It has fiber that may help. A probiotic sprinkled into her food will help her gut. She may feel bound up after all the diarrhea.

You can put the warm compress on her bum since it doesn't look right. It will reduce swelling. I'm betting she'll be better in a day or two!

Last edited:

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I trusted my instinct and took her to the vet.

She had a form of gastrointeritis and needs antibiotics. Poor thing though was so stressed out that he had to sedate her to examine her. She is out for the night in her cage in my room.

He doesn't know how bad it is yet and said she will need follow up. There is also a chance I will need to take her in everyday for the antibiotics because it makes some cats sick.

I'm hoping for the best!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What antibiotic did he prescribe? I'm so sorry she had to be knocked out.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's giving her enrofloxacin .5 ml for the first two days but we will reassess tomorrow if she needs shots or oral and the dosing for the rest of treatment based on her response to it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope she's better soon! This was unexpected. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope she's better soon! This was unexpected. [emoji]128533[/emoji]
Thank you! He said I should see improvement already tomorrow. So it seems to be a quick acting medication.
Hopefully there won't be any complications and she will get better fast!