I think she's pregnant...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! They get pulled from the classroom here in the U.S. and sent home. Can't come back until clear and head checked by school nurse. Notice is sent to the parents of every child in the class.
If the kids here got sent home every time they had lice, they wouldn't spend any time in school!!!

It's not as bad as worms! With the amount of street cats here and sand, the kids (especially little guys) get worms constantly.

When they were toddlers we'd rotate between worm and lice treatments. Now the worms are less frequent but the lice is still persistant.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have had some success today with handling the kittens! Sophie allowed me to weigh all the babies properly...and she didn't put up too much of a fuss!!!

So here are the weigh ins:

Ramses: 422 g (42 g in 3 days/ 143 in 11 days)
King Tut: 425 (135 g in 11 days)
Pooah: 378 (123 g in 11 days)
Pharoah: 398 (115 g in 11 days)

They're all on track to triple their birth weight by 3 weeks and exceed the 1 lb mark by 4 weeks!

Also, now that she's allowing me to handle them, I'll be able to weigh them more often :)

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I see people talking about the mom being mad when they handle the kittens, is it weird that Lizzy doesn't mind at all? She sometimes waits for me to be there before she'll eat?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
princess sophia princess sophia

Those weight gains are phenominal! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

It's great she's calming down and letting you handle the kittens more now - yay! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
princess sophia princess sophia

Those weight gains are phenominal! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

It's great she's calming down and letting you handle the kittens more now - yay! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
She is such a great mom! And a milk machine! Even IF I wanted her to have another litter (which I don't) I wouldn't do it because I can't imagine what a toll making enough milk for those monsters is taking on her body!

I don't know how my pockets are going to handle when they start weaning!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moved sophie and the kittens into a new box. It's about double the size and has low walls so Sophie can easily get in and out. It's about double the size of the old box and kitties are very happy with all the freedom. Sophie put up a stink but watched as I moved them all and put the box back where the old box was. And within 5-10 min climbed in with them and started grooming and feeding them.

I put the heating pillow into the new box but because of the box's size, it only covers a quarter of the box, not half. Do you think I should put rice packs on the other end of the box? Or is okay to have just one heat source? The room is by no means cold...27 degrees without the heat on!

I'll try and post pics of their new bed later when I'm at the computer. The mobile site still won't let me :(

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds lke a great set-up! Love to see pictures when you can.

One heat source is fine. They'll find it, and need space to move off if too warm anyway! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Question time:
This month and next are going to be very tight financially. I bought in April a LOT of wet kitten food for sophie. I recently did people shopping and bought yogurt for my son. He decided that he no longer eats yogurt. So I have a ton of plain yogurt in my fridge. Can I give sophie yogurt instead of her wet for from time to time? (She loves yogurt...But I don't give it often) How often can I give it to her? Any other alternatives that are in my fridge that she could have? I just need to be money conscious these coming months...Especially with the added expenses.

She of course always has dry food and water down to eat as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would think that yogurt once a day would be fine. She really needs the wet food though while nursing.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would think that yogurt once a day would be fine. She really needs the wet food though while nursing.
I don't want to cut the wet out completely, just supplement it so it lasts longer :)

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since Sophie was so good about weighing yesterday, I tried again tonight. Between 15-17 g gain for 3 little kittens.
And a whopping 33 g for King Tut... putting him over 1 lb ( 458 g) at 17 days old! (I weighed him twice cuz I couldn't believe it!)

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can also give Sophie scrambled eggs once in a while.
Ooh..I feel like an omelet chef some mornings...I can add hers to the bunch :)

I just really want to make sure I have enough for the babies while not taking anything away from her :-[

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a dust storm on the horizen and 100+ temperatures through Monday...

It's gonna be a long hot weekend!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ran out the house for a couple of hrs this morning and closed Sophie in the room with her kittens like I do every time I'm not around. 

Well I got home, running late for work. Run into the room to check on them and no one is in the box...and I can't hear a peep. Needless to say, I panicked and turned the room upside down and found the kittens and momma safe and sound in a home-made nest. I didn't understand at first why she moved them so I picked up a baby and brought him back to the original nest. She was not pleased and immediately picked him up and brought him back to her nest. I realized that this is where she wants to be now and that's how it's gonna be. So I moved some stuff around and made the area kitty safe (all while upsetting momma...a lot!) 

Its still not perfect as I had to do it in a rush to get to work but it is safe and kitties and momma are happily napping in their new nest/area. 

A few questions about the whole to do...I know that they sometimes switch nests but I thought it was eariler on. The kittens are nearly 3 weeks old now. Is it possible that she moved them to have more room to romp around while she can still watch over them in what she percieves to be a safe area? She moved them from a box to the side of my bed allowing them the whole length of my bed to explore. It is realativly safe besides for some tight spots that a kitty can get herself into but a momma cat cannot. I closed those spots off obviously. 

No matter what the reason...she gave me quite the scare!