Four day old kitten with diarrhea HELP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Six more days. Should I start feeding him every 3 hours instead of every 2 hours?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try that. I don't know what else to tell you other than to try to give him extra water between feedings. He sounds dried out. I think his tummy will go down a little once he's pooping normally again, but as Catwoman said, a fat tummy is normal on a healthy kitten.

I just think he and antibiotics don't get along, but he needs them.

Every 3 hours is okay if he's not crying from hunger, which I doubt he will be. Try it tonight and let me know how he does.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Without me going back through this thread, what is up with his poop, is he constipated or diarrhea again?

If diarrhea it's likely the antibiotics, if it is constipation he has an issue with the formula he is on likely.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he was having diarrhea before he had any antibiotic then i changed jis formuka to powder and he got better. he was put on Albon and he became constipated. When the Albon ran out his poop went back to normal and he was put on amoxicillin for the tube they put in to drain an abscessed sub q injection. Now he is bloated and constipated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
paulthecat paulthecat

Right - he had diarrhea on the pre-mixed formula. Got normal on the powder, and has had constipation now on both albon and amoxicillin, both of which he's needed to treat issues. So it appears that he and antibiotics do not agree, but he needs to finish his amoxicillin round. Then we should expect his poops to become normal again after he's done.

You may want to ask the vet if you can pick up a stool softener. Six days is a long time to go with little hard pellet poops. They do make stool softeners for pets.

Have you tried any of the baby simethicone to see if it might relieve some of the bloating? You can put it in his formula or just give him some with the dropper.

Meanwhile, is he playing normally, active and feeling better without the tube?

Last edited:

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn't really play yet but he sits quietly with me and stares up at me with the cutest look. He will toddle around too looking for food and he can move pretty fast. I haven't tried the baby stuff yet but I will go out and get some tomorrow.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@catwoman707 his amoxicillin dosage is .2ml every 12 hours.
Okay good, that should be sufficient.

He probably does have a bit of bloating if he is constipated, usually antibiotics cause diarrhea rather than the opposite.

I do think he is going to be okay, he's on a rough road now but still not life threatening, might be some discomfort but it will soon pass.

Just stay on the med until all doses are given, be sure to burp him after feeding too, weight looks good too.

He sure is a cutie! He or she, still don't know?

If you stick his fluffy butt under the faucet so the fur is wet and flat, take a pic and we can tell you if she or he :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing you can do is steam up the bathroom and put him in there for about 10-15 mins, a couple times a day and/or get some little noses in the baby section, it's a saline spray, harmless.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see you are getting help from people who have a lot of experience with hand raising kittens.  Hopefully you are able to steam up your bathroom and take the kitten in there as catwoman suggested.  I do not have experience with kittens as young as you are dealing with.  I have dealt with colds with 6-7 week old kittens and the steam treatment was extremely helpful in treating the symptoms. If your baby does not seem to improve rather quickly after the steam treatment please get in touch with your vet.  A kitten with a URI can sound really scary all of the sudden but it is very treatable.  I remember when my Starbuck was 6 weeks old and developed a nasty URI that came on quickly and severely.  She woke me up the day before Christmas Eve by repeatedly sneezing snot in my face and coughing in it.  I woke my hubby up in the middle of the night and told him he had to find a vet that was open on Christmas Eve to get her treated.  I was freaking out because I was only working part-time at that time and money was tight with the holidays.  I called one of my friends in tears the next morning because I was scared and her reply was Merry Christmas stop worrying about vet bills. Starbuck had a nasty URI, double ear infection and ear mites.  If she had not shown symptom you would never have known she was sick because she was still acting like a normal kitten. I turned to this site and the advice about steaming got us through the night until we could get her treated.

Last edited:

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I steamed my bathroom and although he is still having trouble breathing he fell asleep in my arms. Poor baby

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see you are getting help from people who have a lot of experience with hand raising kittens.  Hopefully you are able to steam up your bathroom and take the kitten in there as catwoman suggested.  I do not have experience with kittens as young as you are dealing with.  I have dealt with colds with 6-7 week old kittens and the steam treatment was extremely helpful in treating the symptoms. If your baby does not seem to improve rather quickly after the steam treatment please get in touch with your vet.  A kitten with a URI can sound really scary all of the sudden but it is very treatable.  I remember when my Starbuck was 6 weeks old and developed a nasty URI that came on quickly and severely.  She woke me up the day before Christmas Eve by repeatedly sneezing snot in my face and coughing in it.  I woke my hubby up in the middle of the night and told him he had to find a vet that was open on Christmas Eve to get her treated.  I was freaking out because I was only working part-time at that time and money was tight with the holidays.  I called one of my friends in tears the next morning because I was scared and her reply was Merry Christmas stop worrying about vet bills. Starbuck had a nasty URI, double ear infection and ear mites.  If she had not shown symptom you would never have known she was sick because she was still acting like a normal kitten. I turned to this site and the advice about steaming got us through the night until we could get her treated.
I am so scared im going to lose him to this! How long did it take your kitty to bounce back?