Four day old kitten with diarrhea HELP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just put him back to bed I will weigh him when he wakes up again. I just took his twmp, it is 100.6 which is at the cusp of what he should be. I think his body may be running a tiny bit warm because of the infection. His breathing seams a bit deep to me too. Not really fast but it looks like he is getting deep breaths. Is that a bad sign?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
101.5 is normal for a cat. When you take it under his arm you need to add one degree. Have you been taking it under his arm?

When did you first notice the deep breathing?

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been taking it through his bottom. His deep breathing started after the tube was put in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His temp is fine. It's normal to be a degree or so on either side of 101.5.

Is he eating normally, alert when not sleeping, not lethargic? Do you hear any noises when he breathes?

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I hear a noise when he breathes but it just sounds like his wet nose and it's VERY ocasional. He is very alert when awake and he is sicing down his formula. I try to slow him down. He is definitely gaining weight. He is asleep on my chest and he started purring.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he's fine. I hope they will take the tube out tomorrow.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was giving him a compress just now and it still looks pretty swollen. I think I might try to get it taken out on Thursday. Is it bad that it kept getting wet when I use the compress? Should I use a blow dryer on low to dry it afterwards?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why don't you take him to the vet today and let them look at him real quick?

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called and the vet is going to call back with questions. My poor baby is not happy with this tube. The only comfort he gets from it is a compress and touch. He LOVES to be held.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said they want me to wait till Friday to get it taken out. It's still a little too swollen to have it taken out. But he is doing well. When I weighed him last night he was 8oz on the nose.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has been a little more lathargic today and im starting to worry. His breath has sounded moist and he crystal a lot. His tummy is very full and firm. Im taking him in asap tomorrow. I am so scared for him. His teeth are coming in, 2 have pushed through skin. Could that be why he is crying so much even after he eats? On the bright side his swelling is way down

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good that the swelling is down. Poor baby can't catch a break. It's very understandable that you would be worried about the new symptoms. I don't think the teeth alone would be making this baby so fussy. He is so lucky to have you as his guardian you have been so good with him and he has known so much love from you. Sending healing vibes and positive thoughts to you. (Hugs) for all you and this baby are going through.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
paulthecat paulthecat

Hey there!

I think he is miserable from the tube and the teething, but I'm not sure about the breathing. You need to ask the vet about that.

I'm really hoping the tube can come out today. I know you both will be more comfortable with that.

His tummy looks huge. Has he been pooping normally? He also may be about to have a growth spurt.

He looks so cute and bright-eyed in the pictures though :).

Please let me know what the vet says!

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over night he developed a bad sneeze. When he is laying still he is fine but when he moves or is picked up he sneezes like crazy. I think he may be having an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. We have an appointment at the vet in 2 hours.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet was not helpful. I wasn't even brought to a room, a vet tech came out to the waiting room snipped the tube yanked it out and said I could go. I followed her and asked about the sneezing. She said it is fine unless his eyes have discharge. Then I showed her his big purple tummy. She said he probably has worms but they can't give him a few order until 6 weeks. I feel so lost! Is he really okay?? Or were they just too busy to help me?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
paulthecat paulthecat

Oh, geez. I'm glad the tube is out. He may be getting a cold. I would be surprised if he's getting a URI because he's on antibiotics.

His tummy is purple? Has he been pooping normally?

It does sound as though the vet's office was busy today.

Last edited:

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His poops are back to hard and pebbles. I think antibiotics in general back him up. He poops Everytime I stimulate him. But besides his big tummy and sneeze he is aware pretty active and he eats about 8mL each feeding. But he went from weighing 8oz to 9.15oz in a day.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is his dosage of amoxicillin?

How long has he been on this?

Tummy is big because he is eating well, kittens this young do have big round tummies :)

He couldn't be any cuter to be honest, what a little doll.