Four day old kitten with diarrhea HELP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is doing very well. He is strong and he is even starting to get teeth! They haven't broken through his skin yet but I definitely feel them when he chews on me! I really really want to keep him but I don't want to pressure my husband into doing something he is uncomfortable with. My mom used to take in animals without asking my dad and I could always tell it hurt him. However, my husband is warming up on his own. He said to me yesterday "separating you from that cat now would be criminal." He also secretly went to the vet and paid off my vet bill.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, your husband is awesome!

The sex will be easier to tell in a couple of weeks. You'll see more personality then too for naming :).

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im getting increasingly more concerned about the bump on my kitty. It's at the sight of injection on the sub q fluid but it hasn't gone away. Should I be concerned about the big hump or is it normal? I can post a pic when he wakes up, it's quite large.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I'd like to see a picture. I think you'll want to email the photo to your vet and ask if it will go away.

I'm thinking it may be fluid or swelling from bruising because he is so tiny and fragile.

I would ask the vet about it tomorrow.

How is he otherwise?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think he's bruised and swollen, but I also think you should ask the vet to be on the safe side.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 you were so right. I took him to the vet and they were shocked to see the hunchback of kitty-dom! It had abscessed and they were suprise he didn't have a fever. They drained it and he has a tube sticking out of him!! It looks like it hurts and it makes me sad but I am relieved he is going to get better. They sent me home with antibiotics and instructions to use a warm compress daily. Man this little kitty has had so many problems and has become quite expensive, but it's so worth it to see him happily purring in his box :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor baby! I am very glad you took him back in for treatment. An adult cat could handle the sub-q needle much more easily than a tiny kitten.

He'll get better now that it's draining and he has another round of antibiotics. When do they want to see him again to remove the tube?

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have tips about what I can do to ease his discomfort with that tube? Or how often and how long to apply the warm compress? Thank you all for your help. Without you guys he probably wouldn't have made it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not sure there's much you can do about tube discomfort, except try to keep him from jostling it and ask in 3 days if it can come out, hopefully.

I would use the warm compress every couple of hours until you see the swelling begin to subside, unless he's sleeping. The compress gives him some relief.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He breaks my heart. I can tell it hurts him really badly. When I hold him to help him go potty he just screams, or if I accidentally touch it me screams. The compress really helps though, he always purrs and falls asleep. I hope he gets through this. Im so emotionally invested I don't know what I would do if he didn't make it :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This hurts me to hear. At least he enjoys the compress. Is the swelling going down? Is there still drainage?

He's mighty little to have that tube in. I'm thinking as soon as it's drained and swelling is reduced to ask for it to be removed. The antibiotics should be helping with healing it as well.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the good news is he is no longer constipated!!! I think the Albon he was on had stopped him up because he has been off it for 24 hours and he just pooped a huge 5 inch poop that was a lot softer. I have never been so happy to see poop.
The swelling is about 1/4 the size it was but it is still draining a bit. Im thinking of trying to get it removed tomorrow. I had a scare yesterday while giving him his new antibiotic, I think he inhaled a bit. I held him upside down and patted his back firmly. He coughed a little then he started meowing for formula. He seems fine today just in pain from the tube. But besides that he is developing well. He can focus on sound and his eyes look great. He is even starting to stand on his little legs instead of scooting on his tummy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awww! He's becoming a toddler :).

That was a close call with his meds. Quick action on your part saved the day. That's the biggest issue with bottle babies - keeping them from inhaling fluids into their lungs.

I'm really glad the abscess has gone down so much. Let's hope the tube can be removed tomorrow. He'll feel so much better once it's out.

Are his eyes fully open now?

You are doing a great job with him, by the way :).

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes his eyes have been open for a couple days and his pupils are starting to adjust to light. My favorite thing to do with him afyer he eats is hold him in front of me and talk to him because he just stares at me and his little ears dance around. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is so sweet :).

Believe it or not he knows your smell the minute you get near him. He's in love with you [emoji]128149[/emoji].

He's almost two weeks old!

What is he weighing now?