Four day old kitten with diarrhea HELP

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! She is beautiful and Paul is too! What a tough road to get her to this stage, you did great! I agree with sarthur2 that you saved her life & she'll be forever grateful! What a lovely family [emoji]128149[/emoji]

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Look how grown up she is!! She is starting to lose her kitten face :( I couldn't wait for her to grow up and be independent and now I want her to alow down. She is still the sweetest most affectionate baby and she still loves her big brother paul. In fact I came home one day and found this...

They had just been cleaning each other and it was precious. Thank you to everyone who helped us through the tough times. It was all worth it :)

I love her ears.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And if you should find that a vet trip is necessary while he's so young, contact a reputable local cat rescue and explain your situation.  Tell them that you want to keep this kitten, but need a vet who is experienced in very young kittens, and who will work with you on the financial end.  Quite often they know just who you should call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I a over reacting but I am getting nervous about Molly. She started having loose stool yesterday and now it is full blown diarrhea. She is still eating and drinking and playing. She is sleeping a little more than usual and she is very vocal. My husband thinks I'm over reacting. She is a frequent meower and when she goes through growth spurts she tends to sleep a lot more. Could it be because she has been snacking on her brothers big kitty food? She has had three bowl movements since it all started yesterday. Should I wait it out and see if it clears up on its own while moving Paul's food so she can't reach it? Or should I call the vet? I am starting my new job on Monday and I won't have money to pay for it till before Christmas. Let me know what you guys think, I trust your opinions.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just caught her chewing on our brand new christmas tree that is treated with flame resistant chemicals. Maybe that's what's making her ill?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take Molly to the Vet, just to be sure. 

You have invested so much in order to save her life, why hold back now?

Diarrhea is not normal for a cat. 

Christmas trees can be dangerous. In fact they are dangerous for cats. When I had Pumpkin, we had to secure the tree to the wall with a line wrapped around it. 

We also found Pumpkin eating the tree, the garland, the 'critters' we had on it.. 

On a few occasions, we found her hidden on the top section of the tree...

We had an artificial tree and it was a magnet for Pumpkin...

With Artie, I do not even bother to put up anything similar or edible (to him)...

Having a kitten is as if you are toddler proofing your entire house. 

Molly could have gotten into something...

((hugs)) and please let us know how things turn out....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree that Molly needs to see a vet. Diarrhea is never a good thing with cats, and I'm thinking it may be the Christmas tree too. If not, she may have a virus or worms. I doubt that it's Paul's food though.

Let us know how she is today.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep.  If she's been gnawing the tree, a trip to the vet is in order.  Especially if she has diarrhea.  But your post did leave me wondering...are you talking about frequent stools, or loose, runny stools, or both?  It can make a difference.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was pooping at normal intervals which for her is about two times in 24 hours but it was loose then it was watery. This morning I found another wet one in her box and I was so worried. She has been farting all day and it's so so smelly. I waited all day for her to poop but she wouldn't try. She has been eating normally and drinking her water. Then she did her business and her poops are a LOT more firm. If her gas and diarrhea hasn't stopped by Monday I will take her to the vet after work. I am hopeful that it is on the mend. She is such a stinker! She tries to eat everything and I ended up kitten proofing the whole apartment!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how she is doing.  Poor little mite has had more than her share of issues.  Just glad she's playing and being a normal kitten other than the tummy upsets.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Molly!

Having gas and pooping so much can be yucky...

She could have developed an allergy to something in her food. If she is pooping twice a day then that is a bit excessive...and really stinky poop is worrisome. I know, Artie's poop was smelling really bad ~ turned out he has IBD.  After a lot of work, it now smells like his food! still stinky to me, but it is his food smell.

But as a normal kitten (Thank God) she is going to be into everything!

Yes, keep an eye on her...and keep us updated! 

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A little update: Molly is happy and healthy. She did unfortunately go into her first heat but she has her appointment on the 23rd to get fixed. I'm nervous about it because she is still so small at barely 5lbs. That's why we had to wait to get her fixed, the vet wanted her weight up a little.
Now I am dealing with a new challenge I could use some help with. Molly LOVES me and her cat brother Paul. She follows me everywhere and plays with Paul constantly. However, she is really cautious around my stepsons. They are 7 and 10 and very gentle sweet children that love animals. She hisses if they look at her and runs when they come in the room. I have been putting their used clothes in her bed and sitting in their room with her when they are gone. I got her to sit with me today in their room while they played video games but she hissed and ran when my oldest turned and said "hi Molly". I have tried having them ignore her and just letting her sniff them but it doesn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello! Time and a Feliway diffuser in the main living area when the children visit. It's great to hear from you! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]