Four day old kitten with diarrhea HELP

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will begin eating from a dish soon. She's not quite ready. Be patient, and you can even sit on the floor next to her and try to feed her some off your finger. She has been through so much, and the bottle is her comfort. There is no rule that they have to wean right on time. It's a process, and even when she begins eating she will still want her bottle for a while longer. Of my 4 kittens, 2 ate great at 5 weeks, but 2 others took another week or so. They also continued to nurse mom for months. Just be patient and she'll get there soon enough!

Oh, and I also transitioned mine with Gerber turkey baby food in the beginning. :)

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a beautiful little kitty!
Glad to hear she is doing so well.
Molly is such a sweet name for a very sweet kitty.
I could just cuddle her all day long!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love this little baby so much. She uses her litter box and plays with her big kitty toys. She STILL won't drink milk off a plate. She is gaining weight nicely though. She hops like a bunny which is way too cute. But I am looking forward to sleeping more than 3 hours at a time!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is just precious! I love her little face [emoji]128149[/emoji].

You'll be sleeping more soon. I know the every 3 hours gets old in a hurry. I'll warn you though, I rescued a kitten 10 years ago who nipped my nose at 2am every night for months in order to wake me. She was hungry and I got up and gave her a dish of wet food. She then slept the rest of the night, but she was probably 6 months old before she stopped needing that feeding. That kitten Is now 10 and off at college with my 18-year-old daughter.

Is Molly eating any solids yet?

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No she won't eat any solids. I try putting it on a spoon but she just sucks on the spoon and gets the milk out of the wet food.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will give my input but it's a personal decision too, so it's yours to decide :)

But at 6 weeks old she is more than capable of eating on her own, some resist it more than others, but nearly all of mine are fully accustomed to food from a dish by this time.

I know that if you don't push it, she will continue like this, but maybe if you let her get good and hungry, that will be the turning point.

If you are still getting up every 3 hrs at night she is not getting very hungry, at least not enough to transition to a dish still.

Babycat is excellent dry to leave out for her too btw.

If she gets good and really hungry then offering her the dish of food and pushing her face in to it so she cleans it off, she will switch. They will always love the bottle too until you simply take it away, which you can do as soon as she adapts to dish eating.

I know, tough love but in a gentle way, think of it as a way to entice her :)

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you that's what I thought but I was feeling guilty. Here comes strict mommy Molly!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly is doing very well! She has grown so much and is now playing and trying to run.
However, she will not drink formula from a shallow bowl. She will only drink from her bottle. She is 5 weeks old and I don't know what to do! Sarthur2 Sarthur2 do you or anyone else have tips or tricks? I even have paul eating right next to her and she watches him.... then sits in his food and stares at him. It's pretty funny but frustrating.
Sorry - lol.
Does it really matter if she still wants the bottle? It'll stop eventually.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put a plate of mushed kitten food mixed with formula down and she screamed for 30 min. I tried putting it on her face and on her gums but she spat it out. She threw such a fit she fell asleep.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to advise that you might start off with regular canned food but nothing chunky, only smooth pate, too much risk of choking, I lost a kitten that way. I've had good luck with feeding Fancy Feast Kitten Feast in Turkey. It has some kitten milk in it already and its a good starter food. Do try to stay away from fishy foods at first as you might get a finicky kitty. Also could try turkey baby food, be sure it has no onions or garlic in it. Its bad for them.

Also does she have any teeth? She should but I did have a cat that didn;t eat solids until about 3 and a half, nearly four months old. But then again she was the runt in her litter.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has all her teeth. I don't understand why she won't eat. I went out and got canned food but she would rather sleep than eat it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I want to advise that you might start off with regular canned food but nothing chunky, only smooth pate, too much risk of choking, I lost a kitten that way. I've had good luck with feeding Fancy Feast Kitten Feast in Turkey. It has some kitten milk in it already and its a good starter food. Do try to stay away from fishy foods at first as you might get a finicky kitty. Also could try turkey baby food, be sure it has no onions or garlic in it. Its bad for them.

Also does she have any teeth? She should but I did have a cat that didn;t eat solids until about 3 and a half, nearly four months old. But then again she was the runt in her litter.
Good tip here, fancy feast turkey is smooth pate, no chunky foods. 

Also good about the fish varieties, these do tend to create picky butt kitties who will only go for fish flavors always, which is not what's best for them.
Sorry - lol.
Does it really matter if she still wants the bottle? It'll stop eventually.
When you've bottle fed for weeks and continue to get up during the night 2 and 3 times to feed, it does get tiresome.  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She has all her teeth. I don't understand why she won't eat. I went out and got canned food but she would rather sleep than eat it.
Dont give in easily, she wont starve to death or get sick, she is strong willed, that's a good thing!!

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707 she definitely is a very stubborn girl! I have been scared of her getting sick again maybe that's why I have been such a push over.