Four day old kitten with diarrhea HELP

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He just had a large poop today.  Do you think he needs to go again?

If you think it is caused by the antibiotic, you should call the vet for advice.  Maybe he can give you a stool softener for the kitten.  If that exists.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, his tummy is just so big and it's not as soft as I usually is, it's not rigid either. Maybe I'm just worrying too much. He still feels so hot.
Is this something he can get better from? His fever was so high. I feel so helpless to help him.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may feel warm from a fever.

Have you called the vet, you should be able to ask questions over the phone about side effects from the antibiotics.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to call the vet, especially if you feel like he still has fever.

Antibiotics usually cause diarrhea not constipation. You can give another enema if you feel he needs it.

How much formula and pedialyte are you giving, at what intervals, and in which combination?

Hard stools stem from dehydration.

Let me know how he is today.

Last edited:

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed him every 2 hours with a bottle of one part powder two parts pediolyte. When I try to give him only pediolyte he spits the nipple out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You may want to give extra pedialyte between formula bottles for hydration.

Has he pooped today or did you have to give another enema?

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
O was planning on giving him an enema when he started pushing and wouldn't stop. It took a solid minute for him to pass this hard little pebble. I then gave him an enema because he was still trying to go and about five more little pieces came out. I offer him pediolyte between feedings and he spits out the bottle.
His tummy seems really big to me, I'm afraid he has eaten too much and hasn't eliminated enough. Can that happen?

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well. I took him to the vet and his temp had gone up. Because I had already taken him to the vet this week I literally had no money to pay them, but they didn't ask they just took him to the back and gave him a fluid injection under his skin and he cooled immediatly. The vet said he won't need to eat anything for the rest of the day. When it came time to pay all my balled up emotions (and lack of sleep) hit. I cried right there and it was so embarressing. I'm pretty sure the doctor thought I was a nut, but the receptionist was nice and they signed me up for a payment plan. He is fast asleep now. It was so hard sitting in the waiting room hearing him scream in the back room.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn't feel hot to the touch anymore and he seems relieved if that makes sense. When I would feed him at night he was so restless because his little body hurt and the only thing that would comfort him was holding him and petting him. Now he is sleeping so soundly.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did I do this to him? Did I do something wrong to make him so so sick? I feel so bad.

madie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Microwave kills all enzymes. Please do not heat up the kitten's formula in the microwave.

Also, I was able to help my kittens using a probiotic called Bene Bac Plus. They also had diarrhea. You can get it at your local vet or pet store. Where do you live?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you did not do this! He is fighting an infection. You are helping him. Thank goodness you took him to the vet today!

He will not need to eat because he is filled with fluids. Poor baby - fever hurts! This explains the constipation - the fever was drying him out. If you give him anything at all, just syringe pedialyte so he stays hydrated.

I know that must have been hard to hear him crying, but they were helping him. So glad they gave you a payment plan!

I hope you can take this opportunity to get some sleep. Let us know how he is later.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is getting hot again :( has anyone else ever had a kitten with a fever like this? Was the fluid under the skin supposed to solve the problem or just stop it for a little while? Also his poops are so hard and large that his bottom looks like it is going to rip

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had that happen with a tiny kitten. Antibiotics take a few days to really start to work and see improvement. His body is fighting off the infection, which causes the fever. Have you taken his temperature to see what it is? I have had kittens that felt hot to me and it turned out their temp was normal for a kitten. I keep a thermometer on hand just for my cats.

Fluids under the skin are usually to rehydrate. Fever is very draining to the system. Are you giving him pedialyte too to keep him hydrated? You didn't do anything to cause him to get sick! You are doing a great job taking care of him! It is never easy having a tiny kitten who is sick, it can be scary I know because he is so small.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement :) yes I am syringe feeding him 2 ml of pediolyte between feedings and mixing his formula with pediolyte as well. I don't have a thermometer, but im looking for a cheap one.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dollar tree has digital thermometers.That is where I got mine and it works great!

You are very welcome! I know what you are going through and feeling.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you need to see the vet again today. His situation is concerning. I keep waiting for him to turn the corner and that hasn't happened yet.