Four day old kitten with diarrhea HELP

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey there, sounds like he picked up a cold from somewhere - vet's office most likely.

The steam treatment, pedialyte, and saline drops are the way to go. He's already on antibiotics so not much more you can do.

He's proven himself to be a tough little fighter so far, so he'll pull through this too! It will seem awful the first 3 days of the cold, but he shouldn't develop any secondary infections since he's on amoxicillin.

I do feel badly that you are suffering along with him, and it's no fun, but as long as he's eating and sleeping well, he will get better.

Let us know how he is today. The baby saline, Little Noses, will thin any mucus in his nose. While you're in that aisle, you can pick up baby simethicone gas drops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! His tummy is no longer purple, he had a HUGE poop stopping him up. But he can't breathe through his nose unless I wipe it with a wet towel or use steam. His eyes are starting to ooze a tiny tiny bit. It's all clear fluid and he is having trouble eating because he can't breath while he eats. But im getting at least 6ml into him each feeding it just takes a while.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that he had a huge poop. That must be a relief to you both.

Poor baby has to breathe through his mouth which makes it hard to eat. Keep up with the steam treatments, and try to get the saline drops asap. Hope they help some.

Did you switch to the 3-hour feeding schedule?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats who had URI's as kittens bounced back pretty quickly.  I did take them to the vet though and they were put on antibiotics. I noticed a difference in the symptoms pretty quickly after doing the steamy bathroom for a couple of days.  I was doing this 3-4 times a day with mine.  The main thing is to make sure your kitten keeps eating, stays hydrated and is going to the bathroom.  If there is any doubt in your mind that things are not getting better please keep in touch with your vet.  I am hoping your baby feels better soon.  .

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that he had a huge poop. That must be a relief to you both.

Poor baby has to breathe through his mouth which makes it hard to eat. Keep up with the steam treatments, and try to get the saline drops asap. Hope they help some.

Did you switch to the 3-hour feeding schedule?
Do you think feeding him in the steamy room would make it easier for him to eat?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once you get the little noses, grab one of those nose suckers too. After you spray the saline in his nose or steam him you can use that to suction some of the mucous out, this will help but temporarily of course as he will produce more.

Yes I agree, the cold was likely picked up at the vet timing-wise.

Although it may be coincidence too, this is about when it surfaces from momma cat as well, about this age.

Comfort/supportive care is all you can do for this until he works it through, but won't be harmful since he is on amox now.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy, I hope for the best for him, the steam really will help. You've been given much good advice. Please keep us posted on how he does.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went out and bought saline drops and a bulb thing to suck the snot out of his nose. I also got pedialyte. Do I really have to use the whole bottle in 48 hours???
Every time he wakes up his face is covered in drool and snot.
More bad news, I think he has a broken back leg. It's swollen and he won't walk on it. I have NO idea how or when it happened

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went out and bought saline drops and a bulb thing to suck the snot out of his nose. I also got pedialyte. Do I really have to use the whole bottle in 48 hours???
Every time he wakes up his face is covered in drool and snot.
More bad news, I think he has a broken back leg. It's swollen and he won't walk on it. I have NO idea how or when it happened
OMG can this poor little boy catch a break?!! 

I have a 3 week old kitten in foster who also came with a broken back leg as well.

What is done is just very limited movement and restricting this to be sure. Since he doesn't actually walk yet anyway this will help. 

My vet says that if you had 1/2 a baby kitten's leg bone on one side of the room and the other half on the other side, leave them for a week and they will have come together somehow and fuse together, that's how easily and well they heal.

I was actually thinking about what kind of contraption I could rig up like a sack over his leg that will keep him from moving it around too much......

The pediolyte does grow mold and bacteria, so I suggest pouring it in to ice cube trays so it will stay good since you will otherwise have to waste alot of it.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707 thank you thank you thank you. I was in tears over his leg thinking there was nothing I could do to help and maybe putting him down was the best option. Since its labor day weekend no vets offices are open.
He stays very still since he has been sick so hopefully it will heal quickly. The saline drops worked wonders!!!! I don't know what they do but he sneezed bubbles for a minute then fell fast asleep using my finger as a pillow (I am typing one handed now).
Thanks for the idea with the ice cubes, it will be very helpful. I just love my baby so much, I hope he starts feeling better. He is 3 weeks old today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whatever does not fit into ice cube trays you can freeze in the bottle.

I'm not sure how he has a broken leg that's just now showing up, but you can put some heat on the swelling using a rice sock (not too hot).

I guess I have to think this happened at the vet's office too, probably during the sub-q fluid treatment. As Catwoman said, it will heal.

Glad the saline is helping!

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not in ice cube trays?

Freezing the whole bottle means thawing the whole bottle when he only needs a small amt.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707
I was saying to freeze whatever is left over after filling the ice cube trays, if there is any left over. I guess it wasn't clear.

Ice cube trays are the best way to have single servings.

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby, if he's caught a URI, he's gotten an abcess from the fluids and now possibly a broken leg, I'd think long and hard about bringing him back to this particular vet. I think you may want to check and see about another Vet clinic instead.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Poor baby, if he's caught a URI, he's gotten an abcess from the fluids and now possibly a broken leg, I'd think long and hard about bringing him back to this particular vet. I think you may want to check and see about another Vet clinic instead.
You know, I had some thoughts when I read that he got an abcess/infection from the vet giving the sub-q's too.........that doesn't sound right.

This is caused by bacteria of some sort, and giving subs is using a sterile needle and tube, so I thought that was a bit fishy.

I have never, ever had that happen, and have supplied subs for kittens and cats for many years.

The possibility of her getting her uri there is real too. There's only 2 options, there or from mom. Timing-wise with it starting up 2 days after her vet visit, and she is 3 weeks old, you would have more likely seen goobers from her about a week earlier too.......

I think this is well worth questioning this particular vet's practices, or more-so the staff not necessarily the vet himself.

Also a broken leg??.......

Last edited:

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
N nansiludie I agree. I was very unhappy with all this, and seeing his little leg was the last straw. They were spend anyways it was just the closest one.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if he can or even if he should but I would think a broken leg would be quite painful, is there any way you could get another Vet to look at him and possibly prescribe him something for pain? I'm not sure if you know this or not but please don't give him any aspirin or tylenol or any advil, nothing for humans for pain, cat's systems cannot tolerate it, it would kill them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707

I don't think he got it from his mom, as he was found as an abandoned newborn almost 3 weeks ago and has just now caught the cold, so probably caught it at the vet.

I wondered about the abscess from the needle as well, and am now concerned as to what happened with his leg.

Although they may have saved his life when his fever was high, I agree it's time to visit a new vet. The new vet can call and ask for his records. Hopefully a new vet who has a more hygienic practice and can be gentler with a small kitten.

Last edited: