Four day old kitten with diarrhea HELP

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I don't know if he can or even if he should but I would think a broken leg would be quite painful, is there any way you could get another Vet to look at him and possibly prescribe him something for pain? I'm not sure if you know this or not but please don't give him any aspirin or tylenol or any advil, nothing for humans for pain, cat's systems cannot tolerate it, it would kill them.
My vet who saw the baby with a broken leg here did not give pain meds for her either.

I'm sure she would have if it caused lots of pain, but using pain med on a baby so young is simply too risky.
@catwoman707

I don't think he got it from his mom, as he was found as an abandoned newborn almost 3 weeks ago and has just now caught the cold, so probably caught it at the vet.

I wondered about the abscess from the needle as well, and am now concerned as to what happened with his leg.

Although they may have saved his life when his fever was high, I agree it's time to visit a new vet. The new vet can call and ask for his records. Hopefully a new vet who has a more hygienic practice and can be gentler with a small kitten.
It does sound like it came from the vet.

Not all that uncommon, it's the same in hospitals, all the sick ones go there.....

One strike would not necessarily turn me to seek out a new vet, but there are 3 here now.........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have good news. My nurse friend came over and listened to his lungs. She said he sound like he has a lung problem beyond being sick. He gasps to breath. She also said she doesn't think his leg is broken, it has fluid in it which happens when a body starts to shut down. His other back leg started to swell last night. His heart is still strong though. She told me he needs to exercise his lungs a little more by moving.
When she left I broke down holding him. I don't want him to die without a name. So his name is Oliver (little orphan Oliver). And I am not done fighting for him. My husband reminded me that he is still fighting and I owe it to him to give him his best shot. Please send your thoughts and prayers this way. And thank you for helping us this far.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have good news. My nurse friend came over and listened to his lungs. She said he sound like he has a lung problem beyond being sick. He gasps to breath. She also said she doesn't think his leg is broken, it has fluid in it which happens when a body starts to shut down. His other back leg started to swell last night. His heart is still strong though. She told me he needs to exercise his lungs a little more by moving.
When she left I broke down holding him. I don't want him to die without a name. So his name is Oliver (little orphan Oliver). And I am not done fighting for him. My husband reminded me that he is still fighting and I owe it to him to give him his best shot. Please send your thoughts and prayers this way. And thank you for helping us this far.
Poor little Oliver. I like the name Oliver. I wonder if he has pneumonia? Would another Vet be able to get him on oxygen and to possibly drain the fluid from his legs? Your friend is a nurse yet the Vet could not tell what was wrong with him. Do please keep fighting with him, he's a strong little guy, I'm praying he pulls through, if and only if, he doesn't, he's had a good life with you and he is loved, I am sure he knows that, especially now. Try keeping him warm and comfortable, hopefully the amoxcillian will help.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you hear and wheezing or whistling noises when he breathes? Does he still want his milk?

Last edited:

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes he Weezer and whistles. He cannot breath out his nose unless he gets steam. So his mouth makes a lot of noise when he breathes.
I can't afford an emergency vet, and that is all that is open labor day weekend. It's a 100 dollar charge not including tests or treatment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
paulthecat paulthecat

Oh, no! I hate to hear this. Poor Oliver.

Somehow fluid has gotten into his lungs. This usually becomes pneumonia and causes the kitten to go downhill fast. It's very difficult for kittens this age to survive pneumonia.

I am so sorry this is happening. I'm going to pray for Oliver. I don't blame you for breaking down. This has been quite a rough journey with your little guy.

Please keep us updated.

Last edited:

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And yes he still wants milk. He can't drink a lot at a time because he has to breathe through his mouth.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And yes he still wants milk. He can't drink a lot at a time because he has to breathe through his mouth.
Okay, yes I did forget the holiday. I am glad he wants his milk, the best thing I can advise is keep him warm and comfortable and try to feed him best you can. Do you have any Vicks Vapor rub? You could put a little in a pot and boil it and make a little steam area for him, do not apply any on him. This is just to help ease his breathing. I'm very sorry he is sick.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bad news gets worse. I just found a lump in his ear almost blocking the ear canal. It's right above where his abscess was. I noticed because he keeps shaking his head. What can I do? Im taking him to the vet Tuesday but is that too late?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's probably too late. I think Oliver needs an emergency vet. I hate to say it, but he sounds pretty bad and getting worse. I would hate to see him suffer.

Is his breathing better, worse, or the same?

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His breathing is better. He is eating like a horse too. I simply don't have the money for an emergency vet. I don't know what to do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get a picture of the lump?

I'm not sure what to do either. Are his legs still swollen?

Do you have a PetSmart in your area? They have Banfield Animal Hospitals in them. Maybe you could get him in there tomorrow.

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His left leg 8s still swollen but he is walking on it now. I will go to pets mart in the morning if he makes it. If they won't help me I will talk to the humane society which is in the same building.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm praying he makes it. I'm glad his breathing is better, and that he's walking on his leg. I'm also glad that he's got amoxicillin. I am clueless about the lump in his ear. Maybe they can give him a steroid tomorrow to help with the fluid buildup.

I hope the Banfield vet can help. What time do they open?

Please post any updates through the night.

Hang in there, sweet Oliver! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hang in there Oliver, you can do it sweet kitty! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
I'm so sorry about this newest development with Oliver. You are working so hard for this baby and he knows more love than some who been alive for years. It's so hard putting your heart into saving these babies and I hope it is some comfort knowing he wouldn't even had a chance to know love without you! ((Hugs))
Sending all the healing vibes and prayers for you and Oliver!

paulthecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is sleeping now but his sleep is very twitchy and he Suckles in his sleep. Im a wreck! Im going to stay up with him tonight. I don't want him to be alone.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't blame you for wanting to stay with him. Many kittens suckle in their sleep. I'm just saying tons of prayers for you guys. And try to get a little sleep if you can.

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear Oliver is feeling poorly. Have you tried checking Google to see if any vets are open in your area on Labor Day?

The lump on his ear, could be from the abscess where the subq's got infected. I had that happen with a cat who had an incision get infected. Lumps appeared close to the original infected area. It was from the infection. They changed the antibiotic on my cat and it went away.

I may have missed this, but could the symptoms (wheezing, etc. ) be an allergic reaction to the antibiotic he is on now? Sending prayers and good vibes your way for a speedy recovery. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Banfield??..........wow.

I have heard countless negative stories about Banfield, sorry to say, and I will be adding this one to my list.

He needs his antibiotic bumped up to clavamox or even doxymox now.

There should be no reason for him not to be responding well by now.

Eating like a horse on it's own speaks volumes you know, he's surely a fighter and wants to live!!

Hoping for the best news to come soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707

She was using a private vet when he got sick this time. They are closed until Tuesday, and she cannot afford the emergency vet, so I suggested the nearby Banfield. Perhaps she can request clavamox there without paying emergency fees.