fostering pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An aside:
When I took our adoption flier in to the vet, I took along two of the kittens, too. The vet was impressed with how BIG they are--particularly for such a large litter. She was surprised to hear that they were only nine weeks old. (I think they looks older, too. No little kitten roundness left at all. They're lanky and leggy.) I did have the biggest kitten with me, but it was nice to hear from her that they look great. They are happy, healthy and thriving!

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All for naught. They didn’t want our (perfect) kittens.

I think they wanted to recreate the moment they adopted their last cats (at 7 months). Those cats walked right up to them. They came at 1 p.m. when everyone here was sleeping. And, they’d never seen kittens this young.

I’m glad we get to keep them longer, but know it will just get harder. I so want them to find families before they have to go to the shelter.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1696858988821.jpeg

Ten weeks old! They are impossibly big and so perfect.

IMG_7264.JPG

This sweetheart is leaving us today. He is going to live with a teacher at my daughter's school.
IMG_7305.JPG
IMG_7310.JPG

And, just for giggles...look at our dog's face! She looks like she's saying, "Oh, no. That baby is at it *again*." (That baby is Scootaloo, who we are likely to keep. She's hilarious and full of personality.)
IMG_7282.JPG

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sure hope none of them end up at the shelter after having such a wonderful foster home.
Me, too! I'm sorry the shelter is so overcrowded that they don't have room for our sweeties. But, I'm so glad they don't have room for our sweethearts so that they can stay with us.

I've got the word out at my daughter's school, at church, at our vet...but no more takers yet.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eleven weeks old today! And, we're down to only four kittens. Mama is super playful! We didn't know her before she was pregnant, so are trying to figure out if this is who she was before or if it's new.

Mama won't go out of the kitten room. She feels safe there and has no interest in leaving. A couple of the kittens, however, are raring to head out and explore a bigger world.

We are keeping one kitten. (We could possibly keep two... You can see the little solid gray, Umi, would do best going to a home WITH a buddy. And, it's his two best buddies who are waiting with him. He'd also do fine with the kitten we're keeping, so if no one will adopt two, we'll likely keep him.) (And, if we hadn't already adopted Mama, we miiiiiight have been able to keep four. But, that's neither here nor there now.) It's my favorite three who still needs homes:
IMG_7331.JPG
IMG_7290.JPG
IMG_7287.JPG
IMG_7284.JPG

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We still have the same four beautiful kittens. Shelters are overcrowded and no one is adopting. We adore them and are grateful to have them!

Kittens got spayed and neutered today. They’re doing well. I’m keeping Skootaloo, the little girl, with me tonight. I’m worried Mama or her brothers might try to groom her incision.

The longer we have them the more I try to rationalize FIVE cats.
New photos soon, but here’s one of Dash that I love.
EBD22D63-723E-40E4-B221-67A61A3FA033.jpeg

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
We still have the same four beautiful kittens. Shelters are overcrowded and no one is adopting. We adore them and are grateful to have them!

Kittens got spayed and neutered today. They’re doing well. I’m keeping Skootaloo, the little girl, with me tonight. I’m worried Mama or her brothers might try to groom her incision.

The longer we have them the more I try to rationalize FIVE cats.
New photos soon, but here’s one of Dash that I love.View attachment 462632
Reminds me of that "i don't always drink" meme.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's just...landlords. I know that within their lifetime I'll go from this house to renting again.

Although...two are grey and two are grey and white. Maybe the future landlord would see two rather than four...

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Four months old! I guess they should officially be off this chat...but...

Here are the three still looking for homes:
IMG_7509.JPG
o
IMG_7513.JPG
IMG_7512.JPG
IMG_7510.JPG
I need to take photos of our Scootaloo (the most GORGEOUS little cat you've ever seen--with confidence in spades) and her mama, too.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I said it wrong. They're getting too old for "Pregnant Cat and Kitten Care". :)

But...they're really still babies. Mama still lets them "nurse".

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WHEN will these kittens stop nursing? They're over four months old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will stop nursing when mom decides she’s had enough. The pregnant stray I took in years ago nursed her kittens for almost a year. They were bigger than their mom when they finally stopped. Be aware that they are no longer nursing for nutrition, but for comfort, bonding, and habit.