Litter help! Looking for low dust

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats gets runny eyes (which 3 vets have said there’s no issue, they are just watery). I changed from clay to walnut and the walnut is so dusty.

What your recommendations for low dust? I’d prefer not to use clay all together

thanks!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use clumping grass litter. There’s no dust although it tracks a lot because it’s so lightweight. SmartCat is great but pricey. I use Abound which my local grocery store carries. (It’s a Kroger-owned store but a different name.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use clumping grass litter. There’s no dust although it tracks a lot because it’s so lightweight. SmartCat is great but pricey. I use Abound which my local grocery store carries. (It’s a Kroger-owned store but a different name.)
I’ll check it out. I can get Kroger delivery here. Does it smell like grass?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Failing the above idea -though I also like grass litter- I tried tofu cat litter & discovered it to be lo dust.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Failing the above idea -though I also like grass litter- I tried tofu cat litter & discovered it to be lo dust.
Tofu litter was on my list to try too. What brand do you like?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I read a review of tofu cat litter at Consumer Reports and decided to give it a pass. I know people have had good luck with it, though. :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've found non clumping to be the lowest dust. Clumping agents are usually a fine powder. I recommend okocat or another pellet non clumping litter.

But in terms of clumping my cats really liked the one time I tried the tofu one . I havent tried the geass one as Magnus is allergic to it outside (get a bit of puritis) so im not sure how grass litter would go over...so I cannot make comparison to the litters mentioned, just to regular litter.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read a review of tofu cat litter at Consumer Reports and decided to give it a pass. I know people have had good luck with it, though. :)
Could you summarize the review and what made you pass?

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Could you summarize the review and what made you pass?
Here’s a link to the article:
Should You Be Using Cat Litter Made of Tofu? - Consumer Reports

The grass seed litter was working so well that I decided to stick with it and not put the girls through another change. The tofu litter is pellets, and I was concerned that they wouldn’t like the texture on their feet. And one of the brands has bean dregs, starch, and guar gum which wasn’t appealing. It also costs more. I’m sure it’s fine; I’m just happy with the grass (and so is Mocha, more importantly :) ).

A Alldara mentioned Okocat. In addition to the dust-free, non-clumping pellets she mentioned, they have a couple of varieties of clumping wood litter. I’ve used the Super Soft one and like that one a lot, too.

So many choices!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here’s a link to the article:
Should You Be Using Cat Litter Made of Tofu? - Consumer Reports

The grass seed litter was working so well that I decided to stick with it and not put the girls through another change. The tofu litter is pellets, and I was concerned that they wouldn’t like the texture on their feet. And one of the brands has bean dregs, starch, and guar gum which wasn’t appealing. It also costs more. I’m sure it’s fine; I’m just happy with the grass (and so is Mocha, more importantly :) ).

A Alldara mentioned Okocat. In addition to the dust-free, non-clumping pellets she mentioned, they have a couple of varieties of clumping wood litter. I’ve used the Super Soft one and like that one a lot, too.

So many choices!
Thank you. I am going to read that. I can get kroger Delivery here so I ordered a few bags of the abound to try.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had used Tidy Cat unscented WAY to dusty. We tried Worlds Best corn litter, and liked that until the bags started coming with little black bugs in it, so that was the end of that. I have a cat with asthma so we now use Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief, it has been pretty good but occasionally get a bag with more dust. No such thing as dust free.

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For those who have used grass seed litter, have you experienced problems with your cats eating it? I was ready to buy some Smart Cat but then read the reviews and got cold feet. Several reported that their cats were eating it - and a lot of it. Also more than one report of finding bugs in it, which I see mentioned here too. I'm not too concerned about a few dead bugs, but it does bring to mind pesticides. It is not organic grass seed, so presumably is grown with pesticides. But of course that could be a factor for any non-clay litter.
I've been using Dr. Elsey's forever and am pretty skeptical that I'm going to get my cats to convert to a non-clay litter, but need to try something less dusty.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those who have used grass seed litter, have you experienced problems with your cats eating it? I was ready to buy some Smart Cat but then read the reviews and got cold feet. Several reported that their cats were eating it - and a lot of it. Also more than one report of finding bugs in it, which I see mentioned here too. I'm not too concerned about a few dead bugs, but it does bring to mind pesticides. It is not organic grass seed, so presumably is grown with pesticides. But of course that could be a factor for any non-clay litter.
I've been using Dr. Elsey's forever and am pretty skeptical that I'm going to get my cats to convert to a non-clay litter, but need to try something less dusty.
Honestly, even the naturals concern me. Why I am still using Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief despite occasionally getting one with more dust. The potential of pesticides. I asked a couple companies about pesticides. Their reply was they do not tell the farmers how to grow the product.Yikes! The Cassava plant contains cyanide.Do they remove that? How.? Cats are walking on litter and licking their paws.As far as bugs in the corn litter, it was a lot of bugs JEEZ.

5CatDraw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, even the naturals concern me. Why I am still using Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief despite occasionally getting one with more dust. The potential of pesticides. I asked a couple companies about pesticides. Their reply was they do not tell the farmers how to grow the product.Yikes! The Cassava plant contains cyanide.Do they remove that? How.? Cats are walking on litter and licking their paws.As far as bugs in the corn litter, it was a lot of bugs JEEZ.
Yeah, no easy answers. A lot of bugs makes me wonder if they are treating the litter to kill bugs that get into it at the plant, in addition to whatever pesticide might have been used growing it. A disturbing thought.
I hadn't heard of cassava for cat litter, but I agree with you that it is a bad idea because of the cyanide. I've been doing a lot of research on cyanide in cassava because tapioca has become so popular in cat food. In foods the cyanide is most likely (but not certainly) greatly reduced by the heat processing, but I'm pretty confident they would not bother to do that for a litter.
Do you feel that Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief is less dusty than their Ultra formula? I considered it but came to the conclusion that they are the same except for the Respiratory they add "soothing herbal essences" for stress relief, and I was afraid my cats might not like the smell of it.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, no easy answers. A lot of bugs makes me wonder if they are treating the litter to kill bugs that get into it at the plant, in addition to whatever pesticide might have been used growing it. A disturbing thought.
I hadn't heard of cassava for cat litter, but I agree with you that it is a bad idea because of the cyanide. I've been doing a lot of research on cyanide in cassava because tapioca has become so popular in cat food. In foods the cyanide is most likely (but not certainly) greatly reduced by the heat processing, but I'm pretty confident they would not bother to do that for a litter.
Do you feel that Dr Elsey's Respiratory Relief is less dusty than their Ultra formula? I considered it but came to the conclusion that they are the same except for the Respiratory they add "soothing herbal essences" for stress relief, and I was afraid my cats might not like the smell of it.
I could not say. I have not tried Ultra. I scoop it from a container as I need it, I don't pour it. The company says it is. So I don't know I find it different then others I've used. Could it be a marketing ploy? Sure, because like you mentioned there is not much difference in ingredients. Izzy has asthma, so she was ready to cough up a lung on others I used. I had to use her rescue inhaler more than I would like or is recommended. Using this litter I am giving her the prescribed maintenance inhaler twice a day, and rarely using her rescue inhaler which is preferred.