fostering pregnant cat

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Genneraly kittens should have food left out as much as they want. Once they hit a year or so start regulating it a bit more. Mom will wean them when she's ready.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. They have dry food out all the time. But, I can’t do that with wet food. It spoils.

I’m not in a rush for them to wean. The longer they’re nursing, the longer we can keep them.

Last edited:

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Web MD and other sites that aren’t sponsored by pet food companies say wet food twice a day and free feed dry. That seems reasonable to me. I’ll see our family vet tomorrow and will get her input, too.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That's about what I would say too. Some people chose not to feed dry which is also fine. Wasn't sure if you did or not. Canned does go off after a couple hours But some people just feed it more frequently.

I personaly have never had issues with dry food. The best food for your cat is one they will eat.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I talked to our vet today and was ready to move to wet food twice daily. However, when I went in at lunchtime to see everyone, a very persuasive case was made by the kittens for continuing a wet-food snack midday. ;) So, we'll continue that for now and move to twice daily when we can.

Right now I'm feeding TEN cats (okay, seven are very little cats, but one is a nursing mama cat...) a dog and two guinea pigs. I need to take stock in Chewy.

It's silly how proud I get when they do something new. I was so proud when they opened their eyes, sat for the first time, ate, pooped (lol). Today, one of the kittens discovered sleeping IN the cuddle cup. They all love it, but sleep UNDER it. I was so proud that one of them figured it out. And the bravery Dash showed when the mop appeared for the first time. I'm just beaming over here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve personally always felt that growing kittens need feeding wet food 4-6 times daily, so I’m glad to hear you are leaving the lunch feeding intact.

I feed 7 cats plus a chicken daily, and this is down over the last 18 months by 4 cats. I used to feed 11.

You’re doing a beautiful job!

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Six and a half weeks! I think the shelter may have forgotten about us...and I'm not saying anything. They didn't call us in for shots, which I'd expected at six weeks but think is way. too. soon. These kittens aren't in a shelter environment. I'll check in with them at eight weeks. But, I'm just tickled to have them all up and healthy.

While they're all still nursing, they'll also all eat. (One, Pepper, will only eat dry food. Fine with me!!) And PLAY. These are busy, busy, busy kittens.
IMG_6791.JPG IMG_6793.JPG IMG_6801.JPG IMG_6805.JPG IMG_6807.JPG IMG_6809.JPG IMG_6823.JPG IMG_6825.JPG IMG_6828.JPG IMG_6844.JPG IMG_6850.JPG IMG_6852.JPG IMG_6859.JPG IMG_6871.JPG IMG_6874.JPG IMG_6889.JPG

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welllll...they are vaccinated and microchipped. So, they're ready for new homes. And, at 8.5 weeks they're at peak cuteness. They're not little baby kittens anymore. They're little cats. So, I guess it's time. But *sniff*

Meanwhile, we're having some issues with using the litter box. But, with so many, I can't tell who is having trouble! I just keep adding litter boxes.

Mama is in for her spay today and then we'll complete her adoption paperwork and make her officially ours. If only we could keep at least four of the kittens, too. Maybe one. Or two...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let them stay with mom for at least 12 weeks if you can. They need more time with her before re-homing. Best to adopt out in pairs if possible so they have each other to play with — less scary and easier for the humans too.

Are you not able to keep mom’s favorite kitten or two?

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let them stay with mom for at least 12 weeks if you can. They need more time with her before re-homing. Best to adopt out in pairs if possible so they have each other to play with — less scary and easier for the humans too.

Are you not able to keep mom’s favorite kitten or two?
It's not really up to me. :) Because we are fostering for a shelter, we abide by their rules. We don't have any say in where the kittens go, when they go, if they go alone or in pairs...

We are able to keep them a little longer, because the shelter is full. So, that's good news for us!

And, keeping a kitten (or two) depends on if my daughter takes the two cats she said she would take with her now that she has graduated and is on her own. (And, mom's favorite kitten isn't MY favorite kitten, lol! That changes, though, very often.)

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How soon after her spay can Mama be back with her kittens? She's home, seeming in GREAT shape, and a bit frantic to not be with them. She's looking, looking, looking for them and won't settle. (But, it hasn't been very long.) This is interesting, because she has never been the most...doting mama. She takes good care of them. She feeds them and keeps them clean. She usually checks on them if they cry. But, even when they were newborn she would feed them and then leave until they needed her again. She's like a loving mom who is ready to go back to work when her maternity leave is over. She was hiding in the closet...until they figured out how to get in the closet, too.

The vet said to keep them apart for 3-4 days, because the kittens will still try to nurse. (They do--though she never lets them for more than a minute or two.) Does anyone have experiencing reuniting them sooner?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I reunited my mama cat the same day she was spayed. Her kittens were 8 weeks old and she immediately let them nurse. She was on pain meds for 3 days but it did not affect the kittens as they were weaned, and mom never had any difficulties with her healing process. The kittens were, at that point, nursing for comfort, not nutrition, and if mom didn’t feel up to nursing or wanted to be alone she let them know!

By the way, the kittens were spayed and neutered at 12 weeks, and mom was very upset while they were gone for half a day, and frantic for them to come out of their carriers when they arrived home.

Just goes to show you how bonded they can be.

Last edited:

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe tomorrow then! Thank you.

The kittens are fine but Mama is making me nuts…and keeping me up. I think *I* might go sleep with the kittens, lol.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, hilarious.

I did go and sleep with the kittens. After they got over their excitement, everyone settled down and slept. I woke up around 4:00 to hear Mama meowing. So, leaving the kittens asleep, I went back to my room. She didn't settle, but was here, there, and everywhere; desperately affectionate (like she was when she first came home from the shelter). After a while, since I wasn't a comfort, I went back to the kittens and slept. Again, some initial excitement and then everyone settled back down to sleep.

When I heard Mama at 7:00ish this morning, I decided to bring her in with the kittens.

She didn't give them a glance, but checked out all the food bowls and settled in to eat kitten kibble. The kittens didn't even notice she was back. She just wanted their FOOD. Then, she was ready to leave again. (But, I left her in there.)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor mama kitty — sounds like she was desperate to make sure everything was the “same” as when she left after her bewildering experience at the vet. That, combined with anesthesia wearing off, made her a bit frantic. Did they send her home with pain meds?

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, but she has not seemed to be in pain at. all. It's as if the procedure never happened. She is reacting VERY differently to any of our other cats post-spay.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not looking for advice, just sharing this next part of our journey. :hearthrob:

One kitten is spoken for. We know he's going to a good home next week. The family is in our church and our school. My third daughter babysits for them. They have three upper elementary-aged children and a dog. Ember isn't fazed by our dog at all. He is the most interesting of all the kittens, I think. He's going to be an amazing cat.

Another family who uses our vet is interested in adopting 2-3 kittens. I told them to come over and see which kitten they were most drawn to, and I could suggest a companion. I'm torn because I have THREE favorites, that I'd love to keep (Umi, Dash and Scootaloo). So, I could suggest they take those three so that they'd be able to stay together. But then...all my favorites are gone. (They're actually the three most active, so I don't think they'll be drawn to them. They want snuggly kittens. And, they all are snuggly at times. But, there are three others who are less active and seem snugglier.)

I don't see how we can keep three. One, certainly. (Daughter #1 votes for Scootaloo.) Two, maybe if daughter #2 takes her cats. But three feels like my limit. And, with mama...that would be FOUR. One cat and three kittens isn't too much. But, four cats is, for me. I think--particularly when we have to look for a new rental space (and, that day will come during the cats' lifetime). But...sniff.