fostering pregnant cat

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had pretty good results with Tailsprings goat-milk based KMR but it was costly. Our local pet shop supllies it at double the price of Amazon Prime. When one foster kitten this spring was nearing the "red zone" (vet said no more options) , I added raw goat milk & slippery elm and kitten pulled through. I know that is only anectdotal and I like to remind people that each case is different. Also, herbs arent standardized because time of day and year of harvest can affect potency as does soil health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found raw goat milk very near us using this site Global Raw Goat Milk Map | Get Raw Milk I contacted the farm Sunday night but didn’t hear back until early Tuesday morning.

Despite small, hourly syringe feedings, one of the kittens just died. He was precious. He wouldn’t latch on to Mom, even with help. He didn’t have a developed suck reflex. He could swallow, sometimes. Mom continued to be attentive, cleaning him and responding to him. But, his siblings crept away. And although he gained weight today, tonight he just…faded. He was between feedings on a heating pad, snuggled with me and a fleece, being gently stroked.

I may be away for a bit, but will be back to update. The other eight look so vigorous to me now. Maggie’s still looking for her missing baby.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found raw goat milk very near us using this site Global Raw Goat Milk Map | Get Raw Milk I contacted the farm Sunday night but didn’t hear back until early Tuesday morning.

Despite small, hourly syringe feedings, one of the kittens just died. He was precious. He wouldn’t latch on to Mom, even with help. He didn’t have a developed suck reflex. He could swallow, sometimes. Mom continued to be attentive, cleaning him and responding to him. But, his siblings crept away. And although he gained weight today, tonight he just…faded. He was between feedings on a heating pad, snuggled with me and a fleece, being gently stroked.

I may be away for a bit, but will be back to update. The other eight look so vigorous to me now. Maggie’s still looking for her missing baby.
I'm so sorry that the little one didn't make it.. you tried and that's all you can do. Don't beat yourself up it happens sometimes. I know it is never easy losing kittens or puppies alike.. but just know he is not suffering and he will always be with his siblings momma and you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on losing the tiny. I lost a tiny earlier this year as well. He had made it to third week but the previous week, the vet thought that there was a heart problem. Sadly, she must have been right because after his lunch and some play with siblings, ne began breathing heavily so I cuddled him to sleep and he just never woke up. At least we know that we did our best. I hope that mama kitty is able to move on soon - a mama cat's grief can be epic.
And good job on locating the goat milk! That link is a valuable tool that I had no idea existed.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I just wanted to slow down and drink in all the kittens goodness that we still have. I stretched out on the floor and tucked up the dust ruffle...and watched. :hearthrob: (If I should move these to the photo thread, please let me know. I thought you, who have followed our story, might like them best.)
IMG_6556.JPG IMG_6559.JPG IMG_6565.JPG IMG_6566.JPG
IMG_6569.JPG
IMG_6574.JPG

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I just wanted to slow down and drink in all the kittens goodness that we still have. I stretched out on the floor and tucked up the dust ruffle...and watched. :hearthrob: (If I should move these to the photo thread, please let me know. I thought you, who have followed our story, might like them best.)
View attachment 456184 View attachment 456185View attachment 456186View attachment 456187View attachment 456188View attachment 456189
OMGOODNESS they are soooo adorable!!!!! Gah look at that momma and all her little babies. It's one big fluff puddle hahaha
Thank you so much for posting these pictures!!!! ❤❤❤😺😺

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She sure doesn't look destressed or upset about the dead one. Just make sure she is still eating and drinking. If she stops then the vet might need to check her over

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens just got back from the vet. They all have bacterial infections, likely from the goat milk. (Their little bellies are quite red and a little inflamed.)

Otherwise, the vet was very impressed with the size of the kittens and how well Mama is doing. (And, everyone in the office was amazed at the size of the litter and that we had 8/9 kittens still with us.)

One of the tinies is still pretty tiny. (She is the biggest concern b/c of the bacterial infection.) But, she's feisty! The other other tiny has caught up to the bigs.

Has anyone used Breeder's Edge kitten formula?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry. It’s never a good idea to use unpasteurized milk. Did you give it to the kittens or just mom? If they have infections, mom will need treating also. What has the vet prescribed?

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mom and the smallest cat both got goat milk. (And, Mom loooooooves it.) Mom does not have a bacterial infection, so that's good. It's likely that her digestive track is just more developed and better able to handle it.

But, no more for us.:(

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess thats why unpasturized milk is banned in canada. (Apperently you can go to prison for selling it)

Hope they get better soon.

I have not heard of breeders edge but would assume it is just a different brand then KMR? Kmr is what petvalu carries here.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have several friends who only drink raw (cow) milk. There are benefits. So, I'd say it's a personal call. :) Jail time for selling milk? :eek: So glad that's not the case here.

The interesting thing is...not ALL the kittens have signs of an infection. (I'm reading what I typed above and that is incorrect. Not sure what my fingers were doing. There shouldn't be an "all", but I can't edit now.) And, the smallest kitten who is the only one that I HAVE given raw milk, does NOT. 🤷

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to pop in and recommend Breeders Edge Foster Care Kitten Milk Replacer.

We got ours today at the recommendation of the rescue we are fostering for and it has made a big difference. It has to be ordered from them--they're a small business in Iowa-- or from Amazon, so plan ahead. And, it's a little pricier than other brands. But, it's SO smooth! And, for the first time, our tiny was happy to feed from the syringe. Other brands have been a STRUGGLE to get her (and the kitten we lost) to eat.

Foster Care Kitten Milk Replacer | Breeder's Edge