fostering pregnant cat

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, all! It's been a long time. We have lost our sweet Beazy and Mia and brought home two new rescues--Posy and Pippa. Recently we decided to foster a pregnant cat from a local no-kill rescue. (I am already pretty sure this will be a "foster fail", and the kittens aren't even here!)

The shelter had no info on this sweetie. She looks YOUNG. I've heard that young mama cats can be disinterested in their kittens. Is this true? Is there anything we can do to help?

The shelter told us to expect kittens in a couple of weeks, but we aren't sure exactly when. We're watching for all the signs! She's extremely affectionate. We've got two different nesting boxes. We've got kitten formula and bottles. There is a stack of old towels in her room. And, we're keeping mama in a guest room (with LOTS of visits and attention) away from our other animals for at least a week...and, likely until she has given birth and wants a little more space. (The shelter actually would like her to be kenneled at all times. I think a secure guest room is a good compromise.)

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most moms, including young ones, do fine with their kittens. Sometimes they need comforting or help during delivery, may be nervous or skittish about the location of their nesting box or need some help getting the babies nursing. The good thing is that she likes and trusts you so she will let you help her and her babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most moms, including young ones, do fine with their kittens. Sometimes they need comforting or help during delivery, may be nervous or skittish about the location of their nesting box or need some help getting the babies nursing. The good thing is that she likes and trusts you so she will let you help her and her babies.
Thank you! That puts me at ease. I was worried!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep mom in the guest room even after she has her babies. She’ll need her food, water, and litter nearby, and all the privacy she can get the first 3 weeks after they are born until their eyes open and they begin to toddle. Even then, kittens do not need more room for a few more weeks. Just toys and a kitten proof room to explore.

Begin to give mom a dish or two a day of kitten formula for the extra calcium she will need for labor and nursing. Continue this through her nursing days.

Thank you for fostering and keep us posted!

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep mom in the guest room even after she has her babies. She’ll need her food, water, and litter nearby, and all the privacy she can get the first 3 weeks after they are born until their eyes open and they begin to toddle. Even then, kittens do not need more room for a few more weeks. Just toys and a kitten proof room to explore.

Begin to give mom a dish or two a day of kitten formula for the extra calcium she will need for labor and nursing. Continue this through her nursing days.

Thank you for fostering and keep us posted!
Thanks for the reply. I am slowly changing her food from the shelter food to a kitten food. Should I give her some kitten formula as well?

We are planning on mom staying with the kittens in the guest room until she starts to show she wants some time away. I had read that was usually between 4-5 weeks. The kittens won't leave that room at all until they go to their new homes. (We've got toys, scratchers and a cat tree in there.)

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She loved it!

Her milk is starting to come in. She’s also big enough that she can’t really clean herself. She wants nothing to do with me wiping her off with a warm, damp washcloth. But, otherwise, she’s I hope it’s okay to bring you all along on our adventure. :hearthrob:

She’s so friendly and affectionate that I think she must’ve belonged to someone. (She loves to have her belly scratched and rubbed. She’ll stay there as long as I will, lol. ) She was at the no-kill shelter for a month…rescued from another shelter before that.

Our curious other animals are keeping watch outside her door. She seems mildly curious, but not bothered. Good signs for later!

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, dear. They’ve put a bit of a scare into me. The shelter contacted me, asking about the kittens. Still none. I found out the no-kill shelter we are fostering for got her from animal control on 6-22. Animal control told them she was due any day.

Hopefully, they either guessed wrong (she’s a little cat so her belly looks huge) or they were pulling at heartstrings to get her a place in the no-kill shelter.

Shes eating and using the litter box. She seems absolutely fine. We’ve had her almost two weeks. I thought the white tips on her nipples meant her milk was starting to come in, but now I’m not sure.

Hoping all the kittens are okay…

sorry this is a little scattered. I hope it makes sense.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like animal control isnt very good about guessing when kittens are due, are they? Babies will come when they are ready. Better to be a bit late than premature anyway.
I really hope so! I haven't felt any kitten movement at all. (But, I've read that can be normal.) And, she hasn't really gotten bigger. But, her nipples are certainly more prominent.

The messages had me scared that there might be something wrong with the kittens...and that they might all be stillborn. But, she seems FINE. So...I'm hoping she is--and they are.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds fine — especially if she is eating and acting normally. An x-ray or ultrasound could confirm the number of kittens and an estimate of gestational age. However, my guess is she’ll have them within a week.

When the kittens get bigger they get squished together and often there is little movement. If they were deceased inside her she would begin to get sick and there would be abnormal discharge. She sounds just fine!

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She sounds fine — especially if she is eating and acting normally. An x-ray or ultrasound could confirm the number of kittens and an estimate of gestational age. However, my guess is she’ll have them within a week.

When the kittens get bigger they get squished together and often there is little movement. If they were deceased inside her she would begin to get sick and there would be abnormal discharge. She sounds just fine!
Thank you! I wasn't worried until they contacted me. She seems fine to me. So, I'm going with "fine".

An ultrasound would be amazing...but I don't think that's in their budget at this stage.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you have bottles and kmr at the ready. She will probably need help if her size is any indication. Large litters often need help to thrive.

Animal control at least in my area is more intrested in killing animals rather than rehoming them, kinda your typical dog catcher on tv type. Theres also no shelter that serves my area so animals frequently get dumped on the road. Sorry not to derail but my experience with animal control is they know squat about kittens or puppies.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure you have bottles and kmr at the ready. She will probably need help if her size is any indication. Large litters often need help to thrive.

Animal control at least in my area is more intrested in killing animals rather than rehoming them, kinda your typical dog catcher on tv type. Theres also no shelter that serves my area so animals frequently get dumped on the road. Sorry not to derail but my experience with animal control is they know squat about kittens or puppies.
Yep, we've got bottles and formula ready! Do you think this will be a large litter?

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let's see if I resized these correctly... Hopefully they show that she is fine-- alert, playful and affectionate! We've brushed her, clipped her claws, and rubbed that belly for hours and hours and hours. :hearthrob: (Last night is the Peppa bed and this morning is the orange one. We've switched out all the cute linens in there for old ones that we don't mind tossing.)

IMG_6527.JPG
IMG_6528.JPG

IMG_6529.JPG
IMG_6531.JPG

Last edited: