Caring for abandoned/orphaned kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm relieved that you sorted that out. I need to remember to ask those with bottle babies to check nipples more often! And the older the kittens get the more they chew them.

I'm just glad that's all it was. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I"m beyond relieved.  I've not said a word, because the advice I would have given was being said, and well said, by @sarthur2, but I've been paying very close attention,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I"m beyond relieved.  I've not said a word, because the advice I would have given was being said, and well said, by @sarthur2, but I've been paying very close attention,
I am relieved as well :) They have continued doing well throughout the day today. Thanks for monitoring us! I appreciate it.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was feeling super dorky and made some charts/graphs of the kitten's progress in weight and formula consumption since I started hand rearing them 

I have continued offering RC Babycat wet once or twice a day (warmed up and mixed with some KMR) and RC Babycat kibble 24/7. The kittens have still shown no interest in the "big kid food". Any suggestions with this? I'd really like to get them eating some so I can start stretching out those overnight feedings ...

My husband and I started showing the kittens a video of an adult cat eating wet food from a bowl on youtube ... and they actually seem intrigued by the video! lol! Cobalt tried to stick his nose into the dish on the screen with the big cat. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
wonderstruck016 wonderstruck016

I honestly think they are just not quite there yet. As much as you are weary of night feedings and understandably ready for them to end, I really believe the kittens are not ready. If they were, they would go for what you are offering.

It will happen soon though, if you can hold on just a bit longer. They are very close to being ready. Most kittens are ready around 6 weeks. I think yours are close to 5 weeks now?

Once they are ready, they will wean easily. It really is just around the corner. It feels like it will never happen, but it will!

How often are you feeding through the night? What's the schedule?

Last edited:

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly think they are just not quite there yet. As much as you are weary of night feedings and understandably ready for them to end, I really believe the kittens are not ready. If they were, they would go for what you are offering.

It will happen soon though, if you can hold on just a bit longer. They are very close to being ready. Most kittens are ready around 6 weeks. I think yours are close to 5 weeks now?

Once they are ready, they will wean easily. It really is just around the corner. It feels like it will never happen, but it will!

How often are you feeding through the night? What's the schedule?
Thanks :) They are either close to 5 or 6 weeks. We don't really know for sure. 

I typically only wake up once during the night, the kits normally go for a 4-5 hour stretch. For example, I'll do 9pm, 1am, and 6am, or 10am, 2am, and 7am. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's not so bad! They are getting there. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

I think they are more in the 5-week range.

Last edited:

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some websites I've read say you can stretch 6-7 hours when they're 4-5 weeks old overnight but that makes me so nervous. I feel like they aren't ready for that.

Carlyle just coughed while he was eating. It freaked me out! He was drinking enthusiastically and then just kinda choked. Nothing came out his nose though and the nipple isn't leaky. Hopefully he's alright!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
wonderstruck016 wonderstruck016

That's why I asked your schedule, to see if you could stretch it, but I think it's perfect the way it is. It's not much longer.

It sounds like Carlyle may be eating too fast. You really don't want aspiration. It's deadly. Slow him down. Check the hole in his nipple.

Watch for coughing, fast or labored breathing, refusal to eat, and lethargy as signs of aspiration. If you see any of these signs, you need to get to the vet and get antibiotics started asap to avoid pneumonia.

It's not worth it to let anything happen at this point. You've got too much invested. I've just been through a painful situation of loss with someone else raising bottle babies.

Count your blessings!

Last edited:

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes. If he aspirated formula how soon would be show these symptoms? It's been over 12 hours and so far so good. I'll continue watching him carefully.

The new nipples are still alright but I have some more replacements on the way just in case! Any tips for slowing him down?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Symptoms would show within 24 hours. He only coughed. He's probably fine. I just wanted to tell you what to look for.

A smaller nipple hole restricts flow, which would slow him down a little. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again. The smallest thing tends to freak me out with these guys because I want them all to be healthy. I have really fallen in love with all 3 of them. 

When I get the new nipples in the mail I will make one with a little hole for Carlyle. They should be here any day. Gotta love Amazon Prime lol. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's SO easy to bond with them, isn't it?

Are you keeping them?

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am keeping 1 (Cordelia). The 2 boys have homes to go to once they are big enough and fully weaned

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, BTW, I don' think  your charts and graphs are dorky at all.  If there are problems, you will see it, and it would be so helpful if a vet visit were warranted.  And it's good information for adopters when they go to their forever homes!  What a nice thing for a "kitten book" for them, a photo or two and their progress chart!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 about your charts and graphs, and meant to mention them before.

They are awesome! I love the idea of putting copies in a kitten book for adopters. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with @Mamanyt1953 about your charts and graphs, and meant to mention them before.

They are awesome! I love the idea of putting copies in a kitten book for adopters. [emoji]128077[/emoji]
Actually, if it isn't too much trouble, printing out a couple of the TCS articles on kitten care would be good, too!  Make a little "Your New Baby" packet!

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great ideas, thank you!

One of the adopters will be a first-time cat owner so I'm sure that would be very helpful for them!