Caring for abandoned/orphaned kittens

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just had the funniest visual of about six of us piled in the bathroom with snacks and kittens crawling everywhere!  Made my day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she's doing just fine for her size.

I have a litter of 3 males and 1 female and had the exact same experience. Prissy is still more petite than her brothers and they are 15 months old now. In fact, her brothers are very big boys!

I don't find it at all unusual for the males to be bigger, especially as it sounds like Cordelia is gaining nicely in proportion to her size.
I just wish she would eat a little bit more lol! But I guess her body knows when it's hungry and when to stop.

Also noticed they are a tad bit constipated now with very firm stool. Back to adding a little drop of oil to the formula. Kitten poo is such a delicate balance! Lol!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It really is. The oil helps things along. That all gets easier once they are eating solids on their own. Soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cobalt has been getting increasingly excited/aggressive with feedings. He swats and bites at the bottle out of excitement and when he finally can get the thing in his mouth suckles enthusiastically.

The problem is my poor hands have been caught in the cross fire. Carlyle and Cordelia also do this to a degree but they are much more gentle and keep their claws for the most part retracted.

How can I curb this behavior in Cobalt before he gets bigger and stronger, and save my hands?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What's the feeding schedule?

He may need to be fed more frequently.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also very carefully clip just the very tips of his nails.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last feeding I wore non powdered non latex gloves on my hands when I fed Cobalt which seemed to help a little bit.

I've been feeding them about every 4 hours.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is the normal feeding interval for their age, but he sounds really hungry to be clamoring so.

Do they nibble on kitten chow in between?

If not, he may need 3-hour feedings.

Gloves were a good idea! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is the normal feeding interval for their age, but he sounds really hungry to be clamoring so.

Do they nibble on kitten chow in between?

If not, he may need 3-hour feedings.

Gloves were a good idea! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
They have RC Babycat kibble in their nest at all times but I have not seen any of them go for it. I have noticed them starting to lap at the water a little bit though. 

I'm not having another issue with Cordelia. The past 3 or 4 feedings she has only consumed about 5-10cc each time and it's basically been forced. She acts like she is starving (meowing when she sees me and nursing my clothing) and in fact tries to attack her siblings when they are on the bottle. When I give her the bottle, however, she backs away from it, chews on the nipple, and also does something that resembles gagging. She is acting completely normal besides this - using the litter box for pee and poo, playing with her siblings, etc. What's going on? 

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just offered her some plain formula (no RC Babycat wet/mousse mixed in) and she did the same thing. Backed away from the bottle, chewed on the nipple, and gagged. She did not take any formula. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure what's going on. Can you see if she will lick mousse from your finger? She needs to eat!

She's not constipated, is she?

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what's going on. Can you see if she will lick mousse from your finger? She needs to eat!

She's not constipated, is she?
Fortunately she just took 20cc at the last feeding. Maybe I am feeding her too often and Cobalt too long apart? Is that possible?

She could be constipated. I saw her poo yesterday afternoon, it was pretty firm. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is entirely possible as each kitten is different.

You may want to space the feedings differently for both of them to see if it helps.

Move one up an hour and the other back an hour, for now anyway. It could change again as they grow.

Last edited:

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back to not eating. Waited 6 hours and she is refusing the bottle again. She's only had 30cc today. Her energy level is still normal as is her litter box use. My husband can't get her to eat either.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What does she weigh?

Will she lick from your finger?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens can have an off day from eating without issue, as long as they go back to eating the next day. She did have 30cc today.

I'm hoping it's not cause for alarm, and that she will eat more tomorrow.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She weighs exactly 1 lb.

I tried to get her to eat wet food, kibble, formula from my finger, from a bowl and from the bottle. No luck! I gave her a little lick of GNC calorie paste for cats to supplement her for today.

It has just been a really overwhelming day between Cordelia refusing to eat and Cobalt being very aggressive with his feedings 

The other kitten Carlyle has been funny too. He normally latches on right away but it's been taking a while to motivate him. Each feeding today has taken me nearly an hour and a half. 

How much longer should I wait to call my vet if she continues with not eating?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let's see how they are doing in the morning. If this continues, I think you should consult your vet tomorrow since it's two of them doing it.

Not eating is concerning.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, good news, I think we got everything figured out!

My husband and I noticed that the bottle nipples we were using were getting a bit leaky/overly chewed. We went out to the store last night and got some new nipples. This stopped Cobalt's psycho clawing behavior and Cordelia's weird gagging.

After supplementing both Cordelia and Carlyle with the high calorie booster their appetites seem to have improved back to normal. Overnight and this morning, Cordelia and Carlyle each drank a total of 50cc. 

I added a dash of Pedialyte to their formula again in case they have started to dehydrate at all. Otherwise, let's hope things continue in this direction! I will continue closely monitoring them.