Caring for abandoned/orphaned kittens

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are on the young side for weaning.  Try again in a week.  You can also try putting down a dish of KMR to lap so they get the idea 'yummy stuff on dish'.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens at a pound are around 4 weeks. If they show no interest in solids it means they are not ready to wean.

They go for gruel easily when they are ready at 5-6 weeks. Some kittens even need 7-8 weeks.

It also sounds like they are not yet able to control their elimination during sleeping. This is a sign they are still on the young side for full litter training. Not much to do but wait on this too.

Sounds like these kittens have a great life! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

They are on the young side for weaning.  Try again in a week.  You can also try putting down a dish of KMR to lap so they get the idea 'yummy stuff on dish'.
Kittens at a pound are around 4 weeks. If they show no interest in solids it means they are not ready to wean.

They go for gruel easily when they are ready at 5-6 weeks. Some kittens even need 7-8 weeks.

It also sounds like they are not yet able to control their elimination during sleeping. This is a sign they are still on the young side for full litter training. Not much to do but wait on this too.

Sounds like these kittens have a great life! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Thank you :) I will wait a few days before offering gruel again. I will also try offering formula in a low bowl as suggested! I really appreciate all of you helping me through this experience!

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Goodness I have a lot of questions lol 

Since the kittens have been "wetting the bed" so to speak in their sleep ... they have been getting pretty stinky! I've been wiping them off frequently with warm, damp cotton pads and gentle baby wipes but I feel like they need a more heavy duty cleaning. How often can I give the kittens a full bath to reduce odor? They smell like little hamsters right now. 

I bathed them the first 2 days after we found them with Dawn as advised by our vet to get rid of fleas and flea dirt.  It was quite the ordeal but it made them smell very fresh ... 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try a warm wash cloth on them. Does their bedding get changed daily?

You can give them a bath if you really think they need it. Dry them thoroughly though.

Last edited:

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try a warm wash cloth on them. Does their bedding get changed daily?

You can give them a bath if you really think they need it. Dry them thoroughly though.
I'll try a warm wash cloth. That might get them a little cleaner.

I have been changing their bedding and wiping down their container 1-2x a day.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you using for bedding? I've found that fleece can really hold a smell.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are you using for bedding? I've found that fleece can really hold a smell.
No fleece. Just old soft cotton towels, t-shirts, and sheets. I wash them on sanitary cycle with bleach between uses. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm here.  Seems everyone knows what a fool I am over kittens and their silly little tails!  OH SO CUTE!  I would pay to sit in that bathroom on the floor and just let them crawl all over me!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, adding the mousse is an excellent idea! Kittens need enormous amounts of nutrition.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, adding the mousse is an excellent idea! Kittens need enormous amounts of nutrition.
Thank you! I mixed some in to the batch of formula I just made. I will let you know how they do with it.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just fed the kittens their first bottle with Babycat mixed in. I had to make the nipple hole a little big bigger but other than that they didn't seem to notice or care that it was different! Hopefully this will help with weaning down the road.

Cordelia's appetite is still generally lower than the boys. She tends to eat very well in the morning and overnight but not very well in the afternoon/evening for some reason. The boys have been drinking about 100cc a day whereas she has been drinking 80-90cc a day on average. She is still gaining weight at the same pace as the boys even though she is more petite (today the kittens weighed 18oz, 17oz, and 16oz with Cordie being the lightest). I can't help but worry about her appetite compared to her bros! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she's doing just fine for her size.

I have a litter of 3 males and 1 female and had the exact same experience. Prissy is still more petite than her brothers and they are 15 months old now. In fact, her brothers are very big boys!

I don't find it at all unusual for the males to be bigger, especially as it sounds like Cordelia is gaining nicely in proportion to her size.