Caring for abandoned/orphaned kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Carlyle has finally transitioned to kitten food!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye bye bottle!

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)

We have also decided to keep both Cordelia AND Carlyle so none of them will be only kittens! I'll ask my vet this question too but how early do we need to have them both neutered since we'll have male/female together?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! 12-16 weeks old is ideal. I neutered my 3 males at 12 weeks. They recover very quickly, and the male sex hormones never emerge. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most vets will spay/neuter at the five pound mark.  I do wonder what they do about Singapuras, though, as the females are only about five pounds when full grown!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most vets will spay/neuter at the five pound mark.  I do wonder what they do about Singapuras, though, as the females are only about five pounds when full grown!
My uncle is a vet and says it is safe to spay or neuter any kitten over 2 pounds

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Cobalt is officially the first to break through the 2 pound mark! Carlyle and Cordelia are not too far behind. I feel like they are still so tiny to do any surgery. I may feel more comfortable waiting until the 12-14 week suggestion or 5 lb but I'll see what the vet suggests too. 

Also - here is the little face I woke up to all snuggled up after my first nap with the kittens. This is Cobalt. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHAT A FACE!  I am officially in love.  Of course, it is well known here on TCS that I'm a fool for kittens, especially their silly, precious, wodgy little tails!

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cobalt is going to his forever home this morning 

Very mixed emotions! We've definitely grown attached to this little guy but he is going to a fabulous home.

Question - the kittens are growing like CRAZY since they've all fully weaned. It's great! They have definitely taken a greater interest in their dry food over wet food, however. So much so that they've put their noses up to wet food the past few times it's been offered. They are drinking tons of water too. Is it OK for them to eat mostly dry food? Any suggestions for encouraging the wet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Best wishes to Cobalt! I know you will miss him. Re-homing day is always tough. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Try different brands & flavors of wet food to see what they like. Wet food is better than dry food overall. Is this dry kitten chow they are eating?

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will not upset their tummies if it is pate formula and in small amounts, introduced slowly.

Are you still mixing KMR into the wet food?

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, we stopped doing that about a week ago. Any flavors/brands of wet food that are particularly enticing?

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there! Cobalt (now named Rory) is happily living with his adopted family.

Carlyle and Cordelia are doing spectacular together with us. They are about 4 months old now.

Here is a current photo of them:

Carlyle is much larger than Cordelia - he is about 6.5 pounds as of today! He was also neutered this morning. Our vet is waiting until 6 mos to neuter Cordie. 

He is currently meandering around with his E-collar. My question is ... Cordelia is horrified! She will not go near him, which for now is good so she won't disturb his wounds. Any suggestions for calming her down, helping Carlyle adjust to the collar, or other general post-op advice?

Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Male kittens heal very quickly! He really doesn't need the e-collar.

He probably smells like the vet office. Once you remove the collar and the smell wears off, Cordelia will calm down around him. [emoji]128522[/emoji]