Caring for abandoned/orphaned kittens

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cobalt and Cordelia eating!
Oh bless their sweet little hearts (and adorable little tails!) [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
I think they definitley picked this up from watching your parent's lab, which is just the sweetest thing ever!

I'm sure Mr. Carlyle will join the party soon [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cordelia and Cobalt have basically lost all interest in the bottle. I've continued offering it to them for "dessert" a few times a day and they just kind of dreamily and gently suckle on it, sipping a little bit of formula before going off to kitten la-la land. They are all about eating real food now! They have regained the weight they lost from that day of not eating and then some! Poo is a little softer than usual with the transition but nothing concerning!

Carlyle is still waiting for the bottle. Hoping he transitions in the next couple of days. 

Feeding them is SO much easier now.

In other news ... Cordelia found a new favorite spot in our living room 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! This is awesome! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

I hope Carlyle is not far behind. Then you can get some sleep!

My kittens loved my bookshelves too. Watch for teething action on the books though!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, those precious little kittens and their adorable wodgy little tails!  Hopefully Carlyle will get the idea from his siblings.  Sooner or later, he's gonna have to quit being such a mama's boy!

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carlyle will still only eat/drink from the bottle. I've been mixing a substantial amount of wet food into the KMR though (and widened the nipple hole) so he is at least getting the nutrition. Cordelia has wanted the bottle maybe once a day. Cobalt is 100% done with it.

All of the kittens are now having some pretty nasty "cow patty" poo. Normal color and odor and not too runny but runny enough that they are tracking it EVERYWHERE 

Besides mixing Pedialyte and pumpkin into their food, is there anything else I can do to help ease their tummies? And reduce the # of times I have to wipe down my bathroom lol?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm wondering if you stop the pumpkin and use more wet food in the mush if their poops will firm up. They really should begin pooping formed logs now.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were pooping perfect logs before they started weaning. I added the pumpkin after they started having looser stool.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, they haven't been wormed yet. I think it really is just the dietary change as this happened temporarily when they started on the formula as well. As I said, it's more of a "cow patty" loose stool as opposed to watery and the color/odor is completely normal. It does seem to be slowing down a tad as the day has progressed. I'm just wondering if there are any other remedies to firm them up so I'm not cleaning the bathroom so much lol. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know of any other remedies. Hopefully, this stage won't last long.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2/3 kittens have returned to normal poo. Cobalt's is still more mushy than I would like but his tummy was the most sensitive with the initial switch to formula when I recused them. It's definitely improved ... pooing at a regular consistency and no longer tracking/messy. It's solid enough that it stays in place.

Carlyle is still not weaned. Cobalt and Cordelia are basically completely weaned. Any more tips for encouraging Carlyle in that direction now that his siblings are eating like big kids?

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We got them their first scratching post. Cobalt went absolutely crazy with it! He loved it!

Meanwhile, Carlyle and Cordelia are climbing on EVERYTHING! Cordelia can go all the way up our stairs and they can all hop up on the couch!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you putting Carlyle in front of the mush with the others, and putting a bit on his lips? I think he will catch on soon. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are so stinkin' cute!  Double doses of adorable!  

Sooner or later Carlyle's instincts will kick in, and he'll start eating like a champ.

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions for getting them on an eating schedule with the wet food? When I put it down they normally graze at it as they wish between feedings. I am not sure if this is maybe causing the softer poo (it's currently tooth-paste like, tubular but somewhat mushy) as they aren't eating it when it's fresh. 

I'm thinking to just put the wet food down for 45 minutes or so and then pick it back up. Cordelia and Cobalt are eating the dry food really well too so hopefully they would catch on. Does this sound OK? 

wonderstruck016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited: