Advice please regarding pregnant cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really hope she does. I'm so scared for her. I can still feel the kittens moving but one of them is really low down and the movements aren't as strong or has active as what they have been so that's got to be a good sign ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are supposed to drop lower before birth. Once they do, there is less visible movement because they are cramped.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let's hope tonight's the night.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had to take her cover out of her litter tray 4 times now. She just keeps clawing it over to the litter tray and putting it inside it. I've never known such weird behaviour in her before.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is trying to create a nest for herself in her litter box. I would just let her. Maybe it will help her to relax and speed labor.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should I empty the litter out first ? Or just let her do what she's doing ?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've made another litter tray for her but she's not went near her normal one since. She's just lay back in her nest and slept, she twitches and her tail flaps about then she settles again. I'm so glad she has the vets tomorrow as I'm starting to get really worried. There's got to be a reason why things haven't progressed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. However, she now has an option if she wants her nest in the litter box for the moment.

Hopefully, the vet will try to stimulate labor first. Maybe he will do an x-ray or ultrasound as well to see what's what.

It's possible she just needs an extra day or two, but sometimes a cat's body does not produce strong enough contractions to actually birth the kittens. I'm beginning to think this may be the case.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. However, she now has an option if she wants her nest in the litter box for the moment.

Hopefully, the vet will try to stimulate labor first. Maybe he will do an x-ray or ultrasound as well to see what's what.

It's possible she just needs an extra day or two, but sometimes a cat's body does not produce strong enough contractions to actually birth the kittens. I'm beginning to think this may be the case.
Does that mean she will end up with a c-section ? The thought of her being away from me is breaking my heart. I've been with her constantly the past week and can't bare the thought of her going through that without me with her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do not know what your vet will decide, but the kittens will need to come out soon. I'm thinking he'll want to check their development first, then try the shot of oxytocin. He may send her home with you in that case, for another day, especially if he determines that there is no emergency - that the kittens are healthy, no uterine infection, no distress.

But otherwise, a c-section is the only other way to get the kittens out. Some vets will send a cat home the same day, others will keep the cat overnight.

You'll need to talk to your vet, and ask lots of questions.

Maybe she will show more progress between now and then. It's been perplexing. I know it's been difficult to cope with.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not know what your vet will decide, but the kittens will need to come out soon. I'm thinking he'll want to check their development first, then try the shot of oxytocin. He may send her home with you in that case, for another day, especially if he determines that there is no emergency - that the kittens are healthy, no uterine infection, no distress.

But otherwise, a c-section is the only other way to get the kittens out. Some vets will send a cat home the same day, others will keep the cat overnight.

You'll need to talk to your vet, and ask lots of questions.

Maybe she will show more progress between now and then. It's been perplexing. I know it's been difficult to cope with.
I just wish she never got out now and none of this would be happening to her. I feel so guilty for not getting in the house quick enough and closing the door. If I had got her spayed sooner then it wouldn't have happened either. I'm going to write a list of things I want to know and ask the vet then when I go tomorrow I can look at them so I remember what I want to know as no doubt my head won't be in the right frame of mind if I need to take her in. Let's hope and pray I don't have to x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do not blame yourself. These things happen. I think writing a list of your questions is a good idea.

At this point, the most important thing is for the kittens to be born healthy and mom to be safe and healthy as well.

Is your cat having any more discharge or contractions at this point?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No she hasn't had any more discharge at all, checked earlier and there's none even showing on her vulva where as last night it was sitting at the entrance and plopped out. She's had no more ripples/tightenings either. She's still licking her abdomen and tail a lot in between napping

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's 68 days today, counting from April 8th, the day after she got out, so she's just not experiencing productive labor. I'm sure your vet will make a good decision tomorrow.

Is she continuing to eat and drink?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's still eating and drinking but she's not eating as much as she has been the rest of her pregnancy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The fact she's still eating and drinking tells me she is not feeling sick at least, which is good!

Just keep us posted as to how she is tomorrow, and what the vet says. If she does have a c-section, he'll spay her at the same time, so she will not have to go through another surgery.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't know they could do that but I'm glad that they will so I won't have to worry about this ever happening again. My poor baby has been through enough so far: hopefully I'm giving an update on the birth of kittens if not I will update as soon as I've seen the vet