Advice please regarding pregnant cat.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, put that on your list. If she has to have surgery be sure to approve the spay at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, put that on your list. If she has to have surgery be sure to approve the spay at the same time.
Ok, will do that now. She just woke up and did a couple of spins and lay back down. If anything she's slept a lot more tonight that usual.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's all very perplexing to me. If anything happens tonight just let us know. It's only 5:30pm here so we'll be up. What time is her appointment tomorrow?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah right, I keep forgetting some people are in different time zones. It's 10:30pm here in the uk. Her appointment is 3pm tomorrow so got a full day tomorrow basically before she has to be taken in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've read back through your thread. In looking at it, I can now see that she is probably experiencing dystocia, which is unproductive labor. I don't think she'll be having these kittens without medical help.

You may want to phone first thing in the morning and ask if they want her earlier than 3pm. I'm guessing your vet assumed, as we all did, that you would not be needing that afternoon appointment.

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No he said he didn't think I would need it but he would make the appointment anyway just incase and that he hoped I was calling tomorrow to cancel because the kittens were born already. I will call as soon as he opens and ask if I can get Jessie in any sooner than 3pm and explain what's been happening. Thank you once again x

jessritchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got out in heat right around the same time yours did and we don't have baby kitties yet either. Sometimes it takes up to a week for her eggs to be fertilized so her do date might be off by about a week. My Topaz is huffy and puffy and just totally reminds me of myself when I was pregnant. Mother nature will take it's course tho it is so hard to wait especially when u know they're uncomfortable. Good luck and let us know what happens..

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning Samjam, how is everything this morning?
Morning. I'm just back from the vets. My vet has kept her in for a few hours so he can observe her himself and give her an x-Ray and ultrasound as he says everything seems fine and she seems well in herself but he said a kitten could be dead and in front of the birth canal blocking the others and that could be stalling labour. He wants to do that first before decided if he will give her the injection to try and start things as he said he can't do that if a kitten is blocking the birth canal so then it would be a section. He's said he will call me around 2.30 and let me know what course of action we need to take. I'm so worried, I've not ate or slept with the worry

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been following this thread all along, but haven't posted before as I had no advice. I still don't, but I did want to reply now and send vibes that Jessie will have a quick delivery now that she is under your vet's care. 

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been following this thread all along, but haven't posted before as I had no advice. I still don't, but I did want to reply now and send vibes that Jessie will have a quick delivery now that she is under your vet's care. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Thank you. The waiting for a phone call is driving me mad. I just want to be with her as she will be so scared with people she doesn't know and in a cage as she's never been caged before

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vets just called me. All the tests looks good and she's perfectly well in herself so I've to go and get her and he will give her the oxytocin injection once I get there then I can bring her home and he said labour should start within 1-2 hours of the injections. I'm just about to go get her now. I'm so glad everything is well. So all being well and it works I should have kittens by the end of the day. So so nervous

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is precisely the way to go. She will do fine! I don't blame you for your nerves!

I'm glad you were able to get her in earlier, and that she is looking healthy. I'm anxious to see these kittens! Did the vet say how many he could see?

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is precisely the way to go. She will do fine! I don't blame you for your nerves!

I'm glad you were able to get her in earlier, and that she is looking healthy. I'm anxious to see these kittens! Did the vet say how many he could see?
I called as soon as they opened and he said to take her straight in so he could observe her for a while and do tests before he decided on which road to take in helping her. Even though I trust my vet I'm still worried incase this isn't the right way if you know what I mean ?

He's said there is defo 2 kittens and he 'thinks' there may be a 3rd curled up but he couldn't get a good enough image as she wouldn't settle and he didn't want to give her a sedative to calm her with her being as heavily pregnant.
I'm almost there, I can't wait to see her. I'm so glad the vets in only 5 minutes away so the journey to get her isn't long at all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I figured your vet would want to observe her and run the tests. It's very good that he detected fully-ready kittens.

This is the way to go, definitely. He is following the best protocol as she is not in distress. I know you will be happy to get her home!

Last edited:

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I figured your vet would want to observe her and run the tests. It's very good that he detected fully-ready kittens.

This is the way to go, definitely. He is following the best protocol as she is not in distress. I know you will be happy to get her home!
We've had the injection and on our way home, he's gave me a list of things to look out for that are normal and also a list of things that are abnormal and need attention from a vet. She didn't like the injection at all and the poor vet ended up with a badly scratched hand through his gloves. Just can't wait to get her in the house and comfortable. X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Alrighty! Hopefully she will have strong labor and birth her babies!

I'm sure the oxytocin injection stung. She is probably tired of being messed with - poor gal.

Check in here as soon as she's settled. I'll be right here for you today!

Last edited:

jessritchie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad to hear your girl is doin good. I think my kitty Topaz is in the first stage of labor since last night. So now it's the waiting game..I wish you luck and a speedy delivery

samjam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alrighty! Hopefully she will have strong labor and birth her babies!

I'm sure the oxytocin injection stung. She is probably tired if being messed with - poor gal.

Check in here as soon as she's settled. I'll be right here for you today!
We're home and when he took her out her cat carrier there was some red\brown discharge on the cover and she's now running around the house in to all the rooms and stops to lick her vulva then runs away again to another room and does the same. It doesn't say anything on the list about red discharge.